Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo App cannot find VMB5000 on Telstra NBN. SmartHub shows all blue and checked ports.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
perturbed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all - I need help pretty desperately!

No matter what I do I cannot get the Arlo app to "find" the VMB5000 SmartHub on a Telstra NBN connecting using the latest Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan LH1000). All the lights are blue, the connections are solid, everything should work but I can't connect the app to the SmartHub so I have a lot of expensive cameras acting as paperweights.

I have created a static IP from the router for the SmartHub and I have set up Port Forwarding for ports 80, 123 and 443 (see image).

I have tried every combination that I can find, research, imagine and dream up but nothing is working and I have had no luck with either Arlo or Telstra support. I am not happy but I don't know where to go for answers.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That looks right to me as long as that's the proper IP address for the hub. This is usually unnecessary but I'm not familiar with Telstra.  Have you tried a reset of the hub (hold the button for >10 seconds until the LED flashes amber, let it reboot to a blue LED) and try again? A reboot of the router may help, too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The port forwarding isn't necessary for most installations unless a router security config blocks access on those port to arlo.com. 

By any chance are you using a VPN? If so, disable that during setup.

perturbed
Aspirant
Aspirant

No VPN running.

Arlo support looked up my Telstra router and said that I need to open the ports - do I open them on the router or the VMB5000? I called Telstra and they didn't tell me how to do it. I have looked up my open ports using the Fing app (I'm on Mac) and -

VMB5000: 53, 554

Telstra Router: 53, 80, 81, 85, 139, 443, 445, 1990

I have attached an image of how I thought I was meant to open the ports in my router settings but obviously that hasn't worked.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That looks right to me as long as that's the proper IP address for the hub. This is usually unnecessary but I'm not familiar with Telstra.  Have you tried a reset of the hub (hold the button for >10 seconds until the LED flashes amber, let it reboot to a blue LED) and try again? A reboot of the router may help, too.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation