Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

8-ft. Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
booxman
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the voltage of the power adapter that comes with the Arlo 8-ft. Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@booxman wrote:
I’m referring to Item No. VMA5000C-100NAS, the 8’ Arlo charging cable accessory.

Ok.  That's the magnetic cable - the specs are 5v/2a (as I said above).

@booxman wrote:
Also, what difference would it make if the power adapter was 5v or 9v? I’ve been using the cable and adapter (plugged in inside) that came with the camera for a month and it works beautifully. Why 9v for outside?

Just to clarify - the dual voltage charger I referenced above was for the Pro 2 charger.

As far as the 9v outdoor charger goes - the short answer is that they went to a higher voltage because the cable is so much longer. 

There is a voltage drop in the cable, because of the resistance of the wires.  This drop reduces the delivered power to the camera.  The longer the cable, the more resistance - and the higher the voltage drop (and power loss) becomes. 

Using a higher voltage (with lower amperage) reduces the power loss due to the cable resistance.  That's why long-distance power transmission lines run at much higher voltages than the power coming into your home. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@booxman wrote:
What is the voltage of the power adapter that comes with the Arlo 8-ft. Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable?

Not sure which cable you mean.

If this is the magnetic cable used with Ultra/Pro3/Pro4 then it's 5v/2a

The charger that I have for the microUSB cable is 5 v/1.8a and 9 v/1.1a

booxman
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m referring to Item No. VMA5000C-100NAS, the 8’ Arlo charging cable accessory.

Also, what difference would it make if the power adapter was 5v or 9v? I’ve been using the cable and adapter (plugged in inside) that came with the camera for a month and it works beautifully. Why 9v for outside?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@booxman wrote:

Ok.  That's the magnetic cable - the specs are 5v/2a (as I said above).

@booxman wrote:

Just to clarify - the dual voltage charger I referenced above was for the Pro 2 charger.

As far as the 9v outdoor charger goes - the short answer is that they went to a higher voltage because the cable is so much longer. 

There is a voltage drop in the cable, because of the resistance of the wires.  This drop reduces the delivered power to the camera.  The longer the cable, the more resistance - and the higher the voltage drop (and power loss) becomes. 

Using a higher voltage (with lower amperage) reduces the power loss due to the cable resistance.  That's why long-distance power transmission lines run at much higher voltages than the power coming into your home. 

booxman
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. That makes perfect sense.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation