product comparison

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
arlo150
Follower
Follower

I cannot figure out which Arlo to buy for a security camera. 

What is the difference between the security camera models?

Is there a product comparison page? There are too many skus for me to figure out the difference.

Why would I want an Arlo doorbell?

Will any of the Arlo cameras be able to see animals in the yard at night?

How long does the battery last? Can I adapt the wireless Arlo to hardwire or receptacle?  If so, which one.

Thanks for your help. 

2 REPLIES 2
Dannybear
Master
Master
I would advise you to do some homework before deciding or talk to a local distributor with a good return policy.

Some things to consider is the budget you have and what your willing to pay for required subscription fees.
Some where to start:

https://www.arlo.com/en_eu/support
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlo150 wrote:

Is there a product comparison page?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/compare?cgid=cameras

If you are looking for outdoor cameras, then I suggest starting with 

• Essential Spotlight - 1080p outdoor camera with integrated battery
  • Pro 3 Floodlight - 2K outdoor camera with integrated floodlight
  • Pro 4 - 2K outdoor camera 
  • Ultra 2 - 4K outdoor camera

There are variety of bundles, but these are the 4 newest cameras.

@arlo150 wrote:

Why would I want an Arlo doorbell?

Well, it will capture video from anyone coming up to the door, and also would let you talk to folks at the door even if you are away.  Whether that is useful for you is of course up to you.

@arlo150 wrote:

Will any of the Arlo cameras be able to see animals in the yard at night?

Mine do.  It does depend on the distance - generally the passive infrared (PIR) detectors work pretty well out to about 20 feet, and don't work reliably further than that.  Smaller animals don't generate as much heat, so generally need to be closer to the camera to trigger it.

@arlo150 wrote:

How long does the battery last? 

That depends on the amount of video activity.  Mine don't last nearly as long as the advertised amount. 

I get around 6-8 weeks for the regular batteries.  XL camera models have much larger batteries - those last me around 3-4 months.  The Pro 4 and Ultra 2 cameras can be upgraded to XL later on if that is needed.

@arlo150 wrote:

Can I adapt the wireless Arlo to hardwire or receptacle?  

Outdoor chargers are available for the Pro and Ultra models.  Those use a custom magnetic charging cable.

The Essential uses microUSB.  Arlo doesn't list an outdoor charger for it, but there are some third party chargers available (no idea how well they work).

There are also solar power panels available for all the above cameras.  Those can extend the time between charges (and for some folks eliminate the need to charge them altogether).

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation