Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
AngeloM
Arlo Employee Retired

gassistant.png

Arlo now works on the Google Assistant. Now, you can use your voice to livestream your Arlo cameras hands-free on your Google Chromecast-enabled TV, Android tablets, and smartphones. Just say "Ok Google, show..." followed by where your camera is located and on which device you want to see it on.

Meet your Google Assistant. Ask it questions, and tell it to do things. The more you use it, the more useful it gets. Now, you can type or talk to your Google Assistant to live stream your Arlo camera on your Chromecast, NVIDIA Shield TV, Android, and iOS devices.

To connect Arlo to the Google Assistant, just follow these short steps:

• Get the Google Assistant app on your Android phone or iPhone.
  • Go to Assistant settings and select Home control.
  • Add your Arlo cameras.
  • Ask away! Your Google Assistant is ready.

All Arlo cameras are compatible with the Google Assistant, including Arlo Pro 2, Arlo Pro, Arlo Go, Arlo Baby, Arlo Q, and Arlo Q Plus.

For more information on Arlo with the Google Assistant, click here.

Google, Google Home and Google Chromecast are trademarks of Google LLC

41 REPLIES 41
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
I followed all the directions and added Arlo to my Google home. Everytime I get "here are some pictures or web searches that point here."

"Ok Google show front door on living room" or
"Ok Google show front door on living room TV"
Front door is the name of my camera and living room is the name of my Chrome cast.

Anyone else having this problem?
MSLTX
Guide
Guide

Added Arlo to Google Assistant. However shared devices do not show up. It does not look like I can link another Arlo account either.

MSLTX
Guide
Guide

@Scott2ya, I tried it on both of my Nvidia Shield TVs. Work well for me.

Initially I got the same response about searching pictures on the web. That's because I used the wrong device name. I tried to use the renamed device names in Google Assistant. Once I use the name from the cast device itself, it worked.

Try just saying "Ok Google, show front door" and it'll pick a cast device for you. It'll tell you where it's showing the video stream.

Dreallday
Aspirant
Aspirant
Use Camera after the name of the camera and also say Chromecast after the name of your Chromecast.

Took me a while to figure it out
kevbowong
Initiate
Initiate
I have the Arlo non-rechargeable battery version and i linked it to my Google Home account. Didn't work. Looks like Arlo is not supporting it right now. Only Arlo Pro. They want me to upgrade I guess. Might just switch brands if I'm spending money anyway.
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
Seems to work now. I didn't change a thing in my verbage.
brh
Master
Master

@Scott2ya

Have you set your Smartthings to work with this yet? I did and it is working great!

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@kevbowong

I haven't tried the show part yet, but I am able to turn my original Arlo cameras on and off with the voice commands.

Brian

wal83
Tutor
Tutor

I have a Arlo (3010r2) that I have connected to my Google Home Assistant. I can cast my Arlo to both my chromecast and nvidia shield using voice command. The process seems to be working other than I do not receive live video on a message "HA Cast Camera". What is the issue?

Dreallday
Aspirant
Aspirant
If that model is the first Arlo camera, this feature isn't supported by it yet. I have both the original Arlo and the Arlo pro and when i use the original Arlo that is what I get also.

Hopefully with a firmware update the original Arlo will be supported sometime soon
Drache22
Aspirant
Aspirant

This isn't working for me. It only shows what the camera is seeing for a couple of seconds, then either the screen goes blank / black, or is no longer streaming (i.e., continues to only show a static shot of the original view).

Others also have this issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/81jvb6/now_that_arlo_works_with_google_assistant_is/

brh
Master
Master

I can get it to recognize all of my cameras to turn them on and off, but I cannot get it to cast video. All I get is search results. It recognizes my Chromecast and YouTube will cast to the tv, but not this setup.

Brian

wal83
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for confirming. I was thinking my Arlo was too old. I was unable to figure out how to upgrade the firmware. 

brh
Master
Master

I'm beginning to wonder if the cameras need to be plugged into AC power for thie streaming to work as I have tried about everything else.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

Nope, That didn't work either.

Brian

kirayamato369
Tutor
Tutor
I have an Nvidia Shield and four Arlo (1st gen). When I tired saying show "front porch" (name of one of the cams) on my "Samsung TV" (name of my Nvidia Shield), it shows "remote casting" with a yellow loading bar at the bottom of my TV screen, then eventually "Ha Cast Camera" on the center of the screen.

Any reasons why? From what I read on the first post, "all arlo cameras are compatible with Google Assistant".
kirayamato369
Tutor
Tutor
Just chatted with a representative (April Rose A). She mentioned there is an update for the first Gen Arlo wire free but don't know when that will roll out to the public.
wal83
Tutor
Tutor

This is typical. Arlo wants you to buy new cameras. Obviously there is not enough economic incentive for them to release a firmware upgrade for Gen 1 cameras at the same time they integrate most of their products with Google Assistant. Hopefully they will allocate resources to write a simple firmware upgrade for Gen 1 since they did state Google Assistant was compatible with all their cameras. They didn't say WHEN all their cameras would be compatible so technically they are not making false statements. LOL!

Ngknick
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s my post! But I cant even get a screenshot to show... just HA cast camera...
brh
Master
Master

Ok, I finally got my Arlo Pros to livestream to my Chromecast device hooked up to my tv.

Firstly, I was in the Smartthings mode and it would not live stream. This needs to be looked at by Arlo or Smartthings.

I set the mode to disabled and it started live streaming.

I have only started experimenting so I will share more results.

I could not find a phrase to stop the live feed. I turned the camera off, but that didn'r stop the live stream.

I finally had to go into the Google Home app and look at what was being cast. There I was able to stop the streaming.

More later.

Brian

Ngknick
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey google stop casting... should work!
brh
Master
Master

@Ngknick

Thanks! I will try that.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

Another interesting thing is that I don't have to say, "Hey, google." I simply say ,"Show Front Porch Camera."

When I want to turn on one of my cameras, I simply say, "Activate Front Porch Camera."

In Smartthings, I say, "Activate Goodbye" and it will run that routine for me.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

I finally after two days figured out how to use the system with Chromecast and Google Assistant. But first, The banner on this site's home page says that this works with all Arlo cameras, but as already been stated, it does not work with the original wire-free HD models.

I tell Google Assistant to turn on a particular camera. Then I tell it to show that camera. When I am finished I tell it to stop casting that camera and then tell it to turn off the camera.

Brian

Related Labels
Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation