Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

kylewallace
Star
Star

Hello, is someone from Arlo able to provide an update on custom notification sounds for iOS? Been a few years since I asked so thought I would check again 😉

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hey @kylewallace

Thanks for the follow-up. I will be sure to provide an announcement if this feature is released.

108 REPLIES 108
Creekernana
Star
Star

It’s sad that Arlo sees all the concerns with this issue and doesn’t resolve it! 

butlertechusa
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone found a solution to the Arlo notification on iphone ring tone problem.  Everyone knows the problem, no pop up menu allowing the user to select a ring tone the can hear when sleeping at night.  I tried a email notification to iphone but can't get that to work either work.  I had hoped with Arlo operating system 4.03_2 the issue would be  resolved but no such luck.  Only solution I am left with unless someone can help is ditch Arlo or ditch iphone.  If anyone out there has a solution Arlo to iPhone notification ring tone management please reply

butlertechusa
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone found a solution to the Arlo notification on iphone ring tone problem.  Everyone knows the problem, no pop up menu allowing the user to select a ring tone the can hear when sleeping at night.  I tried a email notification to iphone but can't get that to work either work.  I had hoped with Arlo operating system 4.03_2 the issue would be  resolved but no such luck.  Only solution I am left with unless someone can help is ditch Arlo or ditch iphone.  If anyone out there has a solution Arlo to iPhone notification ring tone management please reply

Stephlee22034
Initiate
Initiate

I was broken into last night at 2:30 and there’s no way to change the sounds and it doesn’t even wake me up

Creekernana
Star
Star

Sad 

CUTiger
Initiate
Initiate

I agree with so many others that it’s ridiculous that Arlo does not have a way to change the notification sounds on iOS. These Arlo notifications sound like text messages which is very frustrating. Come on Arlo. Give us a way to change this. I will not buy another Arlo device as long as this simple change is not made. I will also not recommend Arlo to anyone unless Arlo makes the change to allow customers to change the notification sound. This should be a very simple thing to do.

Creekernana
Star
Star

I filed  a complaint on Better Business Bureau and this was their response: (They mentioned going to community forums. Apparently they don’t do to community forums or they would realize the problem!

January 17, 2023 

Below is a response from the business to the customer review you submitted to Better Business Bureau.

Hi Debra, Good day! This is Hanna from Arlo Customer Care Team. I would like to convey to you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced. This issue has no doubt caused you some frustration and we want you to know that this is certainly not typical of our organization. Arlo Technologies Inc. takes great pride in maintaining a reputation for excellence, and we will make every effort to ensure that your next transaction with us is handled most efficiently. Arlo Technologies Inc. appreciates hearing from customers like you because we need feedback from our customers to help us monitor and maintain the quality of our products & services. I have reviewed the account link to your email address, it appears that you are not entitled to live agent support. However, you can utilize any of the self-support options available to you including the Arlo chatbot, the Arlo Community, and the Arlo support site where you can find how-to articles and videos. The best way to access Arlo Support is through your Arlo App under Settings - Support. Arlo service plan subscribers have priority access to live agent support via phone, chat and email. In-warranty products are also entitled to live agent support via chat and email. Sincerely, Hanna Castro Customer Care Advocate Arlo Technologies Inc.

To post a reply or respond to the business, you'll need to log in to your BBB Consumer account

If you do not have one you can follow the instructions below to create one.

1. Go to bbb.org/pacific-southwest/consumer/login

2. Click on "REGISTER a new BBB Consumer Account" and follow the instructions on the screen.  You must use the email you filed your review with.

3. Once your account is created, you can now log in and click on "My Reviews" and post a comment.  You also have the option to retract your review.

Once you submit your comment, it will be reviewed by your BBB for approval and posted publicly once approved.

Sincerely,

Your BBB

BBB Serving the Pacific Southwest
1010 E Missouri Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85014-4585 bbb.org

Creekernana
Star
Star

How many complaints before they respond to the issue? 

Creekernana
Star
Star

Hahahaha! That’s a joke! You haven’t done anything yet even though so many complaints about it on this forum. 

Creekernana
Star
Star

Exactly! And you won’t get a response from anyone with Arlo

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Creekernana

Thanks for the feedback regarding this feature, I have provided this to the appropriate team. I will provide any potential updates to this request here.

Thank you 

Yayasmama
Initiate
Initiate

Here is something to try on IPhone users . Go to settings. Then notifications , turn on Announce Notifications. Turn on all badges, keep it at persistent.. It will now speak out loud alerts on cameras that are triggered and will do so till you cleared it . 
you can also turn on led flashing alerts. Type to in search bar in settings and it will pop up . 

I also hated that Arlo did not let IOS USERS have certain alerts. Our beach house got broken into last year as alerts are so vague … 

MarkSilver
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks @Yayasmama for your suggestion. After following your suggestions, there is no change for me. Still same default notification sound / notice on my iPhone.

Xtra-Crispy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all,

Just purchased a my first video doorbell and am having an issue setting up a custom ringtone.

I rang my doorbell and then created a contact from the call I received on my iPhone 13 Pro. I gave it a custom ringtone.

The problem is, now when someone rings the doorbell, my phone is seeing two callers, the contact I created plus another caller from the 'Arlo Doorbell'. My phone then only plays my regular phone ring tone, not the custom ringtone I set up.

If I look in recent calls, it has a (2) after the contact name, Doorbell, which I created as it thinks two calls came in.

How do I set up a contact that my iPhone will recognize as the Arlo Doorbell and play the custom ring tone I want?

thanks,

Joe

LizziM
Initiate
Initiate

Do we have some news? 

khlr
Initiate
Initiate

This is dreadful. Old Android phone was great. The Arlo system is useless with Apple. Awful to hear subscribers have been burgled while asleep and Arlo didn’t even wake them!

Used to think Arlo was a great product and I sang its praises - not anymore.

Please Arlo get your act together.

khlr
Initiate
Initiate

Sorry but it doesn’t work.

htischbirek
Initiate
Initiate

What about “Time Sensitive” notifications? I was looking at my settings to compare that I had everything set up correctly, and I noticed in notifications under amazon, there is a time sensitive option that will deliver immediately and remain on the Lock Screen for 1 hour. Is that a feature that will also be directed, or is that something you can control on the “Home” app. Not sure if it’s an Apple issue or a Arlo issue. I would like to be notified if the cameras pick something up, even when the sleep function is on. Thanks

Thapa1980
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • 123&
Yayasmama
Initiate
Initiate

I wish this thread could have video option to share in steps. 

Firepio1
Initiate
Initiate

Amen amen amen. You are exactly right. I am asleep and someone is trying to break in and the cameras activate, but the pitiful alert doesn't even wake up a dog. 

pierrebou
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to Cancel my abonnement 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
MarkSilver
Tutor
Tutor

I found a crazy fix that works for me. I found an email account that I don't use and that gets no messages (for me it was an old Yahoo account). I then went into my Gmail (which is my main account) and filtered the notification messages from Arlo to go to my Yahoo email. As a result, there's a unique sound on my phone which is my Yahoo account notification sound. Since only my Arlo messages are getting forwarded from my Gmail to my Yahoo account, this solution works for me. I realize it's not a fix for Arlo's poor app design, but at least it's a band-aid until they come up with the latest release and will hopefully listen to all of us complaining about this simple feature upgrade.

kylewallace
Star
Star

Mark I’ve previously proposed a solution that works with one email address using the iOS Mail app and “VIP” notifications (might work with other apps offering similar functionality). You can see it here https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Smart/Custom-iOS-Notification-Sound-for-Smart-Alerts-Detection-of...

Your solution is excellent as well, for those who have or are willing to setup a second email address.

These coupled with moving Arlo notifications out of the do not disturb mode (offered by another user) make 3 (very) rough solutions to overcome a basic fault in a subscription based application.