Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

alerts and recording based on motion type detected

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
FarmY3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'd really like the ability to have alerts and recording based on motion type detected.

Simply put:

1. Give me a pop up ONLY when a certain motion type is detected (for example: person)
  2. Only record when a certain motion type is detected (for example: animal)

Background:

1.  I live on a farm and have 10 Arlos about.  The cameras are great for peace of mind, and during the day I am happy to get most alerts.  However, when I'm going to bed, I don't want all alerts (like deer walking about), but I DO want to know if there's a PERSON wandering around late at night!  In fact, I want it to wake me up!  I'd want the ability to a) easily change alert settings en-masse to alert only when it detects a person and 2) set a "high priority" alert that will make a loud sound or call my phone if it detects a person in my yard at 3am.

2.  I also have cameras in my fields to monitors for animals.  In my corn fields, the corn sways in the wind.  I'm sure for non-farmers, many folks have bushes and trees swaying as well.  This motion triggers the cameras, most often as "motion". and on windy days, it'll cause the camera to basically record non-stop for hours, draining the battery.  I'd want a setting that basically says: "record ONLY if you detect animals or person.  If you detect just "motion", don't bother recording"

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FarmY3,

Thanks for the feedback. While this isn't available today in exactly the form you're describing, with an Arlo Secure, subscription you can suppress some specific types of notifications for certain triggers. This won't stop recordings for those events however. For more information on this, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000056585/What-are-Arlo-s-advanced-motion-alerts-and-how-do-I-set-them-up

I'll pass your feedback along to the team for further consideration.

JamesC

FarmY3
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the reply James.

I do subscribe, but the smart notifications need to be done one-by-one. It’d be great if there were some way to do it en-masse. Ie: between 8am-9pm, do the regular thing. Btw 9:01pm and 7:59am, only notify for a person.

There’s also not a way to have a “high priority” alert. The alerts are muted by iPhone’s focus/sleep mode. I’d want a person detected by Arlo late at night to somehow wake me up. Maybe Arlo could be integrated better w FTT, instead of having the Arlo developers have to do everything?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FarmY3 :  All good suggestions, hopefully the developers will implement them.

IMO as features have been added, the configuration has become a bit of a mess.  I'm thinking a lot of stuff needs to be refactored.  Scheduling smart notifications is definitely useful.  More control over alert sounds has been on the list here for years, but somehow Arlo never gets to it.