Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
de2arogers
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am considering purchasing the Arlo Smart Home Security System carried at Sam's Club however; I'm not sure if the wireless cameras will work for me.  I live in a two story old home with a detached garage about 100 feet behind my house.  I need cameras primarily to monitor the front and back of my garage as well as the back of my house and our driveway.  I currently have another brand of camera upstairs monitoring most of my back yard and the front of my garage however; this current camera will not reach my garage due to the distance.  Will Arlo Smart Wireless Cameras reach a hundred or so feet back to my detached garage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It depends on what the wifi signal from the base unit travels thru.... more walls = less signal.

Also tho the max range is listed as 300ft, some location a 100ft is to far.

Only way to really know is to try... Sams club allows 30 day returns ??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It depends on what the wifi signal from the base unit travels thru.... more walls = less signal.

Also tho the max range is listed as 300ft, some location a 100ft is to far.

Only way to really know is to try... Sams club allows 30 day returns ??

Morse is faster than texting!
de2arogers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, this isn't what I really wanted to hear however; I believe that you are right.  My current working wireless camera wouldn't even work upstairs without a repeater on my network.  I have tried different things and it seems that this old house as well as my garage being so far away makes wireless incompatible.  I even have trouble with calls dropping on my cell phone at times unless I am near an exterior door.  Perhaps I should consider wired cameras. Thanks.

de2arogers
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a 6 wireless camera package and all appears to be working well so far as needed. However; the 6 wireless cameras isn't enough to cover the area that I need to cover so I'm wondering if my base can handle 2 more wireless cameras if I purchase them which would give me the coverage that I am looking for?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The existing base will work with up to 15 cameras so no problem. Of course, that also means you'll need to subscribe to a plan that supports more cameras. The alternative is to buy a second system with a base so you end up with two bases and cameras split between them. Use a second email address for a new account for the new system and then use Settings, Grant Access fro the new account to the other so everything shows up in one login.

Michaelspeece
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can try running a network wire to your garage inside, the base station in your garage.

I did something like that at my house but I did my inside the garage from My basement and it’s just fine.

Michaelspeece
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base  station  Should handle 15 cameras you should be good for 9 more

but the free cloud let you have 5 if you want camera then you have to pay for the exter cloud space. Hope that help

de2arogers
Aspirant
Aspirant

All is well so far, I have a camera on the front of my garage and one in a tree behind my garage, both working fine thus far.  I have 2 more cameras to mount and do not foresee any problems.  I did update my wireless router before mounting these cameras that is suppose to be stronger and as an added measure have added a repeater in the back of my house so that the base station could be placed in roughly the middle of my 200+ feet lot.  I would like to add a couple more cameras however; being retired, I'm not willing to incur any additional cost at this point and may try to incorporate a few IP cameras that I have later on. Thanks for your help.