Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice

So now all users who purchased the original Arlo HD cameras and the Arlo Pro cameras have to PAY to have their recording u0ploaded and stored on what used to be the FREE 7 day 5 camera account subscription????

Have Arlo actually have the sneaky disgraceful cheek to remove the FREE subscription for recording.

I have had Arlo original cameras and Arlo Pro cameras, they are all set to record and upload the videos on what was the FREE profile/subscription. This was given to ALL users for 7 days recording for upto 5 cameras. This was the whole reason millions of users bought the product.

Now Arlo have REMOVED the free subscription. My cameras are not recording and uploading videos, and when I log in online I am being told I don't have a subscription and none of my cameras are recording. I am being told I NOW HAVE TO PAY to have my videos stored.

MESSAGE STATING

"Without Arlo Smart, your cameras will remain inactive. Are you sure you wish not to subscribe Arlo Smart for your new cameras?"

It is absolutely disgraceful that Arlo sell a product then remove its one useful feature. Not a way to do business at all and I will NEVER recommend or buy another Arlo product. Disgraceful company.

@JamesC 

Why am I being told I dont have recording on my account? (When I am an original user and have original cameras AND Arlo Pro?

Why are my videos not being recorded?

Have Arlo actually now removed the Free subscription, even though we all got emails saying the Free subscription users will ALWAYS have the 7 days free for 5 cameras!!!!

What on earth are Arlo doing? Its fraud!!!

32 REPLIES 32
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drb1 wrote:

Can we have our Ultra cameras use all the features we bought them for and have it save to other cloud subscriptions like Google or Apple. Sounds like a much smarter and cheaper way (and in many instances free and with high security) of using the expensive setup Arlo sold us?

It would be nice if you could choose from various cloud storage providers.  Personally I'd like to be able to store the recordings on my home NAS.  But you can't do either now.

drb1
Guide
Guide

That takes the cake. Sorry, Arlo took our cake as well. All when people are losing their jobs by the thousands!

robsilv
Tutor
Tutor

Hi StephenB,

When I went to the Arlo.com website to view their products, I was presented with the NZ version of the website. As a consumer living in the NZ market, this should be sufficient information on which to base my purchasing decision. For whatever reason, it appears they decided to tailor their product offering differently to different markets. I think this is the source of the confusion on this forum.

I didn't receive the box the product was in until I went to the store to buy it, having already made my purchasing decision. In the event that the box said something different in small print to what was advertised on their website, I'm pretty confident this wouldn't make a lot of different in the eyes of consumer rights bodies, given that the website would still have effectively been false advertising.

As I've previously stated, I was never notified of having subscribed to a plan, free or otherwise, in any way. As demonstrated, what's true in America isn't necessarily true in other markets for the same product, so I would be cautious not to state with certainty how the product is for all markets, unless you're part of the core team that designed the product offering.

Cheers

Rob

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robsilv wrote:

When I went to the Arlo.com website to view their products, I was presented with the NZ version of the website. As a consumer living in the NZ market, this should be sufficient information on which to base my purchasing decision. 

I think the NZ website simply had an error (Arlo forgot to update the page when the Ultra came on to the market in early 2019).   Only Arlo can say for sure, but the KB articles describing the subscription terms have never included such geographic tailoring (other than pricing). 

Either way, you looked at the website, and based your purchase decision on what it said.  So from your point of view, their intent doesn't matter.  Of course any remedy would need to be worked out with Arlo.  Maybe PM @JamesC using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Brenda_H
Aspirant
Aspirant
I totally agree mine are doing the same
BBALLDADDY
Initiate
Initiate

I didn't have a subscription.  I had my cameras for two years.  I even purchased another one at the end of 2019.  Arlo tried to "charge" my card the "annual renewal" subscription fee.  First, I didn't have a subscription to RENEW.  Now my cameras are not functioning properly.  I'm going to post on EVERY major retailer website to let the customers know what they are getting into.  I'm switching to RING.....

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

The free subscription was not removed from the older cameras. It is not and has never been available with the Pro3 or the Ultra cameras. The problem is people think it just carries over to the higher end cameras and unfortunately it didn't. But with that said the Pro3 and Ultra cameras do allow you to have local storage on the base station so you still get effectively a free storage options without some of the limitations . Only difference is now you need to enable remote access to your smarthub through your route to access it from outside your home wifi.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @BBALLDADDY

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support