Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do not want or need Arlo, but I have 12 cameras so no choice but to have plan that includes it.

I had all my cameras moved to INACTIVE under Arlo Smart, has been like this for a long time - but the past week, every single day after 1 pm, Arlo just up and decides to move all 12 of my cameras to ACTIVE under Arlo Smart. 

So I log in and move all 12 back to INACTIVE until the following afternoon when Arlo decides it's time to move them all BACK to ACTIVE again.

I do everything through a web browser on my computer.  I do not use push notifications but receive email alerts.  I do not use Arlo Smart because it is SLOW and BROKEN... tells me that birds are people, the UPS truck is a cactus... and people and vehicles are "all other motion".   Useless, totally useless...

Getting rather sick of this nonsense of having to move all my cameras back to inactive uder Arlo Smart every afternoon.  Does anyone have any suggestions BEYOND Netgear's pat fix of remove all devices from Arlo account and add them back and re-sync cameras?  This has never worked for ANYTHING.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do not want or need Arlo "Dumb", but I have 12 cameras (with 3 base stations) so no choice but to have plan that includes it.

I had all my cameras under INACTIVE in Arlo Smart, has been like this for a long time - but the past week, every single damn day after 1 pm, Arlo just up and decides to move all 12 of my cameras to ACTIVE under Arlo Smart. 

So I log in and move all 12 back to INACTIVE until the following afternoon when Arlo decides it's time to move them all BACK to ACTIVE again.

I do everything through a web browser on my computer.  I do not use push notifications but do receive email alerts.  I do not use Arlo Smart because it is SLOW and BROKEN... tells me that birds are people, the UPS truck is a person (can't tell the different between the UPS truck and a cactus it drives by)... and people and vehicles are detected as "all other motion".   Useless, totally useless...

Getting rather sick of this nonsense of having to move all my cameras back to inactive under Arlo Smart every... single... damn... afternoon.  Does anyone have any suggestions BEYOND Netgear's pat fix of remove all devices from Arlo account and add them back and re-sync cameras?  This has never worked for anything - EVER...

Thanks in advance!

APH1
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS wrote:

@PhilB2

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

I have the exact problem that Deminda describes and I have spent long minutes with support only to receive generic answers for solutions that don't work such as removing all cameras from the system and then re-adding them one by one, and when I tried to escalate the case, I received an email stating that the case has been closed for "inactivity". I think Arlo is well aware of the problem but has no solution, and is knowingly misleading us, the customers. I do agree that it is probably an issue with the cloud servers/Arlo software. Because I do not care to know if the subject detected is a person or an animal etc. but I do want to use more than 5 cameras, I specifically asked support if there was a way to just turn off the "Smart" features while still paying for the subscription, but I received no response. There is a reason Arlo has earned the worst reputation in customer service. I am considering other systems now and plan to fight Arlo to get back no only my subscription payment, but also the cost of the system because Arlo has misrepresented this product.

starfall
Guide
Guide

Arlo needs to implement person detection algorithm on the camera itself to reduce the delay.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @APH1

?

Have you tried to remove the cameras from the list in Settings > Arlo Smart > Smart Notifications?

APH1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi ShayneS,

Yes, I have. When I do this, everything works perfectly. The problem is that the cameras move back to Smart Notifications by themselves (they somehow get moved back automatically) within hours. I asked support about this and they said this is how it is supposed to be, and there's no way to keep the Arlo Smart Premier subscription without having the Smart Notifications. The only solution is to cancel the Smart subscription, which means not being able to use more than 5 cams and not storing videos more than 7 days, and in my case losing money because I paid for 1 year in advance.
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Arlo support went and opened a case after I posted about issue of cameras moving back to Arlo smart ACTIVE list all by their lonesomes.  They said they passed it off to engineering.  Of course they told me to remove everything from my account and add back, but that has NEVER fixed a single thing with my Arlo Pro system - EVER.  I find it hard to believe that all three of my base stations have the same issue, or all 12 of my cameras have the same issue.  If ONE base station's cameras kept doing it, I could see perhaps having to reset the base station.  But the cameras on ALL THREE have the issue, and I've purchased these base stations and cameras at different points in time across the past few years...

Every single day I have to move the cameras back to INACTIVE.  Happens at differnt times now - at first would always happen between 1pm and 2 pm, now it happens later, or in the middle of the night.

Arlo is a trainwreck at best - honestly.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @secaz

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

APH1
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the meantime can I get my money back for the "Smart" subscription? I am not getting what I paid for, so a refund is in order. This is material for a complaint to the FTC.

APH1
Aspirant
Aspirant

@secaz wrote:

Arlo support went and opened a case after I posted about issue of cameras moving back to Arlo smart ACTIVE list all by their lonesomes.  They said they passed it off to engineering.  Of course they told me to remove everything from my account and add back, but that has NEVER fixed a single thing with my Arlo Pro system - EVER.  I find it hard to believe that all three of my base stations have the same issue, or all 12 of my cameras have the same issue.  If ONE base station's cameras kept doing it, I could see perhaps having to reset the base station.  But the cameras on ALL THREE have the issue, and I've purchased these base stations and cameras at different points in time across the past few years...

Every single day I have to move the cameras back to INACTIVE.  Happens at differnt times now - at first would always happen between 1pm and 2 pm, now it happens later, or in the middle of the night.

Arlo is a trainwreck at best - honestly.

I think they get moved back after the first motion detection, but I could be wrong.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You will need to contact Customer Support for those requests. Arlo Tech Support 

APH1
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS wrote:

You will need to contact Customer Support for those requests. Arlo Tech Support 

I had contacted Customer "Support" before posting this, and their answer was that I lost my money (no refund). I know this does not concern you, but I am posting this reply so that the public knows, and so that no one ever pays Arlo in advance.