Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Lizzzard187
Aspirant
Aspirant
I turned off Smart Notifications for animals a few weeks ago because I was notified every time a squirrel ran across my driveway. I just noticed that this activity is no longer being recorded, either. Is there a way to stop record animal activity without being notified of it?
8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I seem to be confused by your wording. Smart notifications will eliminate the notifications of, say, squirrels but not eliminate recordings. Motion outside of activity zones is recording but will be discarded if determined to be outside of the zone.

Lizzzard187
Aspirant
Aspirant
The issue is that I turned off the Smart Notifications for animals and it also stopped recording animals. How do I turn recording animals back on without getting notifications for the animals?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lizzzard187 wrote:
The issue is that I turned off the Smart Notifications for animals and it also stopped recording animals. How do I turn recording animals back on without getting notifications for the animals?

It shouldn't be doing that (and I haven't seen it on my own system).

Maybe try turning animal notifications back on, and see if the squirrels are still triggering the motion detection.

Lizzzard187
Aspirant
Aspirant

I turned Smart Notifications for animals back on and have now have several recordings labeled "Animal" from yesterday (squirrels, birds, and bugs crawling across the camera). Prior to that there were no "Animal" recordings. Once I turn Smart Notifications for animals back off, there are no new recordings labeled "Animal."

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you try rebooting your base station and removing and re-add the camera from the Active list for Arlo Secure > Smart notifications under settings on your browser. 

hbaird
Initiate
Initiate

On a related note, I'd really like the scheduling option to let you choose whether you want the system to still record when it senses movement, even if you have the notifications turned off.  I found that having my phone CONSTANTLY notifying me of stuff while I was at work was way too distracting, but if someone were to vandalize my house or something while I was at work, I'd still like to be able to pull it up on the recordings so that I can show the footage to the police!  At the very least, have the option to mute notifications for 8 hours so I don't have to mute them on my way out the door, mute them again before lunch, and mute them again late afternoon!! I feel like this has to be a pretty common concern...not wanting to get blown up by notifications, but wanting the saved footage to follow-up on anything that happens during that time.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hbaird wrote:

On a related note, I'd really like the scheduling option to let you choose whether you want the system to still record when it senses movement, even if you have the notifications turned off.

You can do this already.

Create a custom mode that records, but doesn't notify.  Then schedule that mode when you want the system to act this way.

hbaird
Initiate
Initiate

OMG thank you SO MUCH!! I REALLY appreciate it!!!! I couldn’t figure out how to do this!!