Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smart Notifications - I Am Receiving Motion Alerts When "People" Only Is On

Discussion stats
nedkelly78
Tutor
Tutor

8 pro2 camera's,  i am subscribed to the smart detection/notification and only have 'people' on alert, but on some of PRO2 cameras i still get alerts for motion. looking at the camera info, the HW version this is happening on is H4, while the H5 are OK. They are all PRO2 though. I only want people. tried resetting the base and re-syncing the cameras but no luck very frustrating.

any ideas?

109 REPLIES 109
poeinator
Guide
Guide
@ShayneS,

I tried:
1. Clearing app storage
2. Signing out/in
3. Uninstalling the app then reinstalling
4. Editing my Arlo smart subscription

None of those worked. Last attempt, I cancelled my smart subscription then created a new subscription. That restored the "Smart Notifications" section in the settings.

However, after all that I set the Smart Notifications to only be raised for People and Vehicles (not all other motion). A few days later the moving leafs in the wind triggered the notifications.

I have now cancelled my subscription completely. I won't pay for something that doesn't work. The software seems filled with various issues that customer support can't seem to reproduce.
vinella
Guide
Guide

Can someone from Arlo please at least reply to advise us if they are working on this bug. Smart notifications is a paid service - it should get priority. Unless i hear something back I too will cancel my service.

Note I have tried everything in this thread to no avail. clearly there is a bug for some of us. one that Arlo can readily acknowlege for themselves without even contacting any of us because they have access to both our smart notification settings and library which show up the unselected/unwanted notifications !!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vinella wrote:

...one that Arlo can readily acknowlege for themselves without even contacting any of us because they have access to both our smart notification settings and library which show up the unselected/unwanted notifications !!!

Arlo doesn't access your library under normal circumstances (excluding search warrants for example).  That's one reason why there's a "donate video" control in the web interface and app.  You need to expressly give them access to videos you think they should use for training their smart AI engine.

Nscrivener
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did anybody work out a fix for this? In the last week my cameras have started giving me “motion detected” alerts even though I am on an Arlo Smart plan.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nscrivener wrote:
Did anybody work out a fix for this? In the last week my cameras have started giving me “motion detected” alerts even though I am on an Arlo Smart plan.

Have you checked the smart notification settings for the cameras?  Possibly "all other motion" is enabled for the cameras.

Nscrivener
Aspirant
Aspirant
No it’s not that. I’ve checked all settings several times. My camera also changed its field of view and wouldn’t change that though the app.

Last night I removed a camera and re added it. Will see if that fixes the issue
BadCoder
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did this work? I have 5 cameras and only one has this issue..

MuntedKiwi
Tutor
Tutor

Wow, over 4000 views on this, tells me I'm not alone. 

I have two camera's set up with Smart Notifications. One set up for People + Vehicles. The other for just People. I repeatedly get notifications for animals and other.

Smart Notifications are a key feature just like GeoFencing which is also broken on Android. Broken core features should be an urgent priority for Arlo, but don't appear to be.

I spend more time disarming the camera's than arming them because these two core features are broken.

The camera software clearly detects whether it's people, vehicle, animal or other, so why is it so difficult to for an engineer to resolve this? Are you sending the notifications by default without checking what type of notification it is?

Arlo, please lift your game and get the basics fixed as soon as possible. 

Rosie2804
Guide
Guide

Yet with all these inquiries, Arlo still chooses to do nothing.  I opted out of the smart software subscription, re-positioned cameras so they don't detect traffic and only use the free software now.   I first experienced this issue almost a year ago and still see folks complaining about the software.  It's a shame because the camera system works well otherwise and is priced competitively.  

Rosie2804
Guide
Guide

Maybe a class action suit to get our subscription fees back might motivate them to correct the issue.  As one member posted, it correctly identifies the object creating motion but can't filter it out.  Should be an easy programming correction.  

JoeKo575
Tutor
Tutor

Exact same problem, all Arlo Pro. I've reset my cameras completely and the problem persists, very frustrating.

jimmy927
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here. I have 4 cameras.

Suddenly i get notifications for everything, which renders the system completly USELESS as i need to turn them off completely.

This is it, i will retire the system, this software is just rubbish.

lgcardenas
Initiate
Initiate

Is this issue resolved. I'm having the same issue

jimmy927
Initiate
Initiate
Its not solved. Honestly i an not sure this software is maintained at all given the ammout of severe issues that get no attention at all.
seanxushen
Aspirant
Aspirant

From my understanding by reading a lots of posts here, and my symptom of the problem I am pretty sure that the problem is somehow related to the cloud which process the smart notification and active zone. It will be either 1) the recording not uploaded to the cloud as soon as it records. So that to be safe,  local arlo system just post whatever notification as it raises. 2) the cloud receives the recording, but fail to process it, or it is too busy to process it. 

Both 1) and 2) explains that why sometime it works perfectly, and sometimes it does not. and it is intermitter  issue.  If trying to find a way which could directly point to the right Alro server IP address, so if 1), it will help.

rivajean
Star
Star
I’ve had this system for about 3 years. I do like it. However this is a recurring issue and it is even more annoying because of the total lack of transparency from Arlo. Would it actually kill them to say “hey, we know there is an issue and we are working on it.” I am keeping the system because I have spent a good of money on it. And it is nice when it works right. If I ever start to have hardware issues I will look at other options. On another note I upgraded one of my cameras to the higher resolution. I honestly can’t tell the difference. Especially zooming in.
dcfox1
Master
Master

Mine were working fine but i noticed on june 16 i started  getting some "motion" notifications that  were checked  off. It seems only sometimes, hit or miss. There have been recordings for  "motion" as it should but no notification as it should most of the time. 

EMZ
Guide
Guide
I too am paying for a subscription & only want to receive person notifications especially overnight, but recently began to receive all notifications despite the smart settings. I have recently reset my system & painfully re-added all cameras, tried restarting cameras, turn on & off from PC & app etc etc, so annoying. I guess its time to cancel my subscription to Arlo NOT Smart !!
lgcardenas
Initiate
Initiate

Not sure what happened, now it's working fine and only notifying when a person is detected 😞

dcfox1
Master
Master

I had the same problem earlier today and it corrected itself. May have been a server glitch or update. Either way turning the individual notifications off and back on worked. 

EMZ
Guide
Guide

@dcfox1 I have had this for @4 days now, tried turning the individual notifications on & off on both PC & app but no joy!

vik2r11
Initiate
Initiate

I set my Arlo 2 cameras to people  motion detection only since wind moving tree branches cause  way too many motion detection alarms,  but even for people motion ONLY I still get too many false positives. What is causing the Arlo camero to send a people motion notification when no person is present or recorded?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

This has been going on for at least 17 months now.  They say send in your clips and help it learn, BS this is 2020 and Arlo smart is still at kindergarden level.  Just last night I was woke up for a person at my front door at 3 AM and it was a moth.  As I said before, to call this system smart comes from very dumb people.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @EMZ

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

ShayneS this has become the standard reply anymore from moderators, seriously have moderators ever tried this with success.