Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
oddtodd
Star
Star

Stop with the Ads to upgrade every time I log into my account

73 REPLIES 73
Dbtothadb
Guide
Guide

The reviews are not "mixed", at all. Your customer base has spoken out strongly against this unethical practice, and yet it persists. The popups are still blocking the camera views. Remove the ads.

Tektraveler
Tutor
Tutor

@JessicaP wrote:

We have since removed the push notifications to ensure the primary purpose of the Arlo mobile app is to provide security-related alerts that matter the most to you and your family.

Hello @JessicaP, can you confirm that you are also removing in-app ads? Your message mentions that you are removing push notifications, but what about the popup ads? I am still receiving them when I try to answer my Arlo Audio Doorbell. This has made your product function totally useless to me. My replies to Arlo Support via email have not been answered.

Zymania
Tutor
Tutor
Why am I being spammed with something I paid $500-plus for? And why when I need to check on the security of my home do I have an advertisement standing in my way? Does anyone else think this is an absurd violation?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Zymania wrote:
Why am I being spammed with something I paid $500-plus for?

What is this spam?

I see nothing.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Zymania
Tutor
Tutor
Every time I open the mobile app to check my cameras the first thing I get is an ad trying to get me to upgrade. I bought my system only four months ago.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Zymania wrote:
Every time I open the mobile app to check my cameras the first thing I get is an ad trying to get me to upgrade. I bought my system only four months ago.

That's not typical. I suspect something else is going on.

What is this ad?

Upgrade to what?

What is this mobile app?  Android? iOS?

Any chance of a screen shot?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Zymania
Tutor
Tutor

It's from Arlo - upgrade promotions for Arlo hardware/services.

Baelzharon
Guide
Guide

It's VERY typical.  I posted in this thread a few weeks ago and NO ONE from arlo has responded.  I guess I need to start looking into other options, Arlo apparently is trending downward if they resort to spamming their existing customers so much that it creates animosity.  I'm starting to think they are shutting the brand down and are grasping for cash.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I am none the wiser. I have never see this.

What are you doing when it pops up. Logging into something. And what is the message?

I ask because I have just noticed that when I login to Netgear's ReadyCLOUD I get a message that says "Upgrade to a MyNetgear account". (I already have a MyNetgear account.) In no way is this an ad of any sort. It is simply a bit of the text on the login page.

Just another user
Baelzharon
Guide
Guide

>What are you doing when it pops up

Just opening the arlo app.  It will not allow you to do anything but hit the 'X' to close the ad.  If someone is breaking in or murdering my family, I will not be able to see until I 'X' out of the ad to 'upgrade my service'.   I'm surprised it's not an ad saying 'pay us and we will stop spamming you with ads'.

>And what is the message

It's a message to upgrade to a premium Arlo service.  It's not some login screen or useful information.  It's designed solely to annoy the every living #*$& out of you.  It makes you think that you were taken for a ride by a cheap company when you paid so much for the cameras only to have a virtual salesman hound you for more money.  

Tektraveler
Tutor
Tutor

@michaelkenward PLEASE Just take a look at the screen shots posted by others in this thread (links below for your convenience)! I think plenty of people have provided plenty of details.

Arlo staff pretending they need "our development team to look into the issue" is NOT helping. This is a tasteless money grab. The fact that I have an active Arlo Smart Premier 1 year subscription and I am still being targeted by marketing ads proves this bad. I have been told "a setting" is causing this issue - turned off the setting and its still happening.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Smart/Receiving-ads-to-upgrade-every-time-I-log-into-the-Arlo-app...

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Smart/Receiving-ads-to-upgrade-every-time-I-log-into-the-Arlo-app...

By the way, this is not just annoying popup ads. This is stopping their application from functioning. I can't answer my doorbell or respond to a motion alert on any of my cameras because in my case the popup locks the app. Clicking the "X" in the ad does not make it go away. Am I angry? YES - I recently sunk $900+ CAD in Arlo hardware, and its totally useless. Arlo's silence is not helping.

Dbtothadb
Guide
Guide

@michaelkenward might I suggest that if you are not having the issue yourself, but find yourself in a thread full of people who have, that you kindly find another forum or go about your day? The ads exist, are a hinderance to all who use the Arlo app, and are not appreciated by anyone. It has been well documented, so read the room, buddy.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Tektraveler wrote:

@michaelkenward PLEASE Just take a look at the screen shots posted by others in this thread (links below for your convenience)! I think plenty of people have provided plenty of details.

Excellent. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for that.

I now know what is going on and can now see if there are any cages to rattle.

The trouble with long running discussions like this is that they can degenerate into random noise that has become out of date.

Just another user
ianc911
Guide
Guide

Oh, Arlo knows exactly what they're doing here, lame responses by support notwithstanding. Putting those spam ads and push notifications in was a  conscious decision on the part of their marketing dept. Support has, disingenuously, been told to adopt a 'hmmm... we're researching this but thanks for notifying us' attitude.

Sure, we're their customers and any thinking human being hates being taken advantage of for a product they've paid good money for like this, but truth be told, we're probably the minority among all the sheep out there, and on balance, it may be that Arlo will generate more dollars through people subscribing than they will from lost sales because of customer displeasure.

Risky gamble, and one only a mercenary butthead of a marketing freak would take, but as today's society and political structure will demonstrate, it's not really based on what people want and need, or honoring your customers, but on greed and how much money there is to be made...

Good luck with this to the customer and to Arlo. Maybe some higher-up will realize alienating your customers is not a good business model and the marketing director will get shown the door. Probably not though, because the higher-ups are probably just as greedy if not greedier than the marketing director...

ianc

Baelzharon
Guide
Guide

>JessicaP   'We have since removed the push notifications'

LIE.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ianc911 wrote:

Good luck with this to the customer and to Arlo. Maybe some higher-up will realize alienating your customers is not a good business model and the marketing director will get shown the door.

That's why I was asking.

But clearly some people here prefer to bitch and throw around silly insults than to try to get something done.

Perhaps they also believe that 5G mobile causes coronavirus.

Just another user
Baelzharon
Guide
Guide

Complains about people throwing out silly insults by throwing out silly insult...

mdbannon
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just got another Damn ad, arlo knows what they are doing! I’m switching to another company that respects our wishes and need for security.
mdbannon
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve been receiving a Arlo ads on my Arlo app and having to get past them. It’s very annoying. I already submitted a request to get this taken care of and never ever received a reply from Arlo. I see that a lot of other people are having the same issue. This is a security app and I shouldn’t be delayed from trying to use the app that I paid for. I’ll be switching to another company to get my security needs met I suggest everyone do that until Arlo decides they’re going to be respectful of people’s security
ns4787
Aspirant
Aspirant
I usually am usually more patient with products but if this one isn’t addressed quickly I will throw the thing away and never buy another arlo product. If I hear my baby in the other room I the middle of the night and open the app to check on him, I will chuck the thing out the window if I get another add to upgrade. I am in the process of deciding which wireless system to install in my home and this will make the decision for me.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ns4787 wrote:
....I will chuck the thing out the window if I get another add to upgrade. I am in the process of deciding which wireless system to install in my home and this will make the decision for me.

This is a "CPC", Constantly Posted Complaint. It comes and goes as the twerps at Arlo decide to upset people with these campaigns.

Advertisements In App Is A Bad Idea! - Arlo Community

Receiving ads to upgrade every time I log into the... - Arlo Community

That's just a couple of them. Arlo's marketing people certainly know how to upset people.

Complaints here don't seem to have any effect. Maybe social networks would be more persuasive.

Just another user
zpeverman
Initiate
Initiate

This is 100% the reason we will be switching to the Eufy camera system once we no longer have a need for the Baby Arlo cam. Even our need for that currently is questionable so if the ads don't stop, maybe we will make that jump sooner than later. https://www.eufylife.com/products/variant/eufycam-e-3cam-kit/T88051D1? if anyone else is interested in not getting these ads in their app all the time.

ianc911
Guide
Guide

So how many people bought their equipment from Costco? I did.

If you're unhappy, go to the Costco site at Costco.com and click the  feedback link at the right of the screen and post your dissatisfaction with Arlo and request that Costco no longer carry their products.

Also, if you have a Facebook account, search for 'Arlo Smart Home' and leave them a nasty post there as well.

ianc

Baelzharon
Guide
Guide

Another day another spam ad from Netgear.  Remember, arlo spun off of netgear, so they are ultimately responsible for whatever marketing manager is so clueless that they are continuing with this ad campaign that is angering all (and lets be real, NO ONE likes this) of their current customers.  With that in mind, Google Nest Cam is running a sweet deal on 1080 cams right now.  I am pretty sure they don't spam your security feed with ads.