Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
oddtodd
Star
Star

Stop with the Ads to upgrade every time I log into my account

73 REPLIES 73
oddtodd
Star
Star

Jessica my dear

All you need to do is look at the top of the thread.I posted the screen shots when i first complained.

Is this just lip service are is Arlo really going to do something about this?  

No worries I am not holding my breath more like wondering how much you will want to charge me to remove the  spam.

Dbtothadb
Guide
Guide

Here is the requested screenshot of the push notification.

oddtodd
Star
Star

P.S. Please don't remove this comment like you did with my other one....I only speak the truth !!!!!

elh615
Initiate
Initiate

For the past couple days, every time I log into the mobile app, I am getting a pop-up for discounts on Arlo Smart, Arlo's cloud video recording service.  I am not interested in this service.  I exclusively use the cameras for live video.  Last night, a pop-up obscured the screen while I was watching video and caused me to miss something important.  Now I am getting push notifications on my phone as well!

I was considering a major purchase of additional Arlo cameras in the near future, but I am now reconsidering.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Is there a way to stop it?

toptech
Star
Star

So twice today, I thought there was someone at my front door. Because my Android made the noise it makes when there is movement in front of the camera. What did I find? 2 Notifications in my notification shade, for ARLO SMART!!! 

No one at the door, just another f-ing ad on my phone. In a place that Goggle doesn't allow there to be ads! They had Dev's remove ads from program notifications in 2013. SEVEN years ago ARLO! Go back to school and read all about it. And fix the f-ing app! isn't it enuf that you charge more than everyone else for Cams, you have to break the rules to shove ads in our faces too?  FOR SHAME Arlo!!! FOR SHAME!

Dbtothadb
Guide
Guide

As much as it is a major annoyance, I am actually concerned that it is a safety issue and someone could get hurt due to this malfeasance. There is a high likelyhood that someone might disable their notifications to try to stop the ads, and end up missing something important. I'm going to speak to a couple of influencers about this and see if I can get the word out on Twitter/Insta. I hope that every person on this thread will do the same, this is egregious and dangerous on the part of Netgear, and it is not an accident. I also have no doubt they are trying to take advantage of COVID as well, because they know people are checking their cameras daily to make sure packages arrive, and that delivery people are keeping distance.

ssteed
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo is a great product. Dont destroy your great work by pushing advertising on people when they rely on the push notifications on devices to be alerted on potential security threats at their houses.  Rant over.

LeoLyons
Guide
Guide
What is with the new subscription barrage.
I'm getting notifications and when ever I open the app I'm forced to see and close a full screen scription barrage.
Get rid of it NOW.
LeoLyons
Guide
Guide
What is with the new subscription barrage?
I'm getting notifications and when ever I open the app I'm forced to see and close a full screen subscription barrage.
Get rid of it NOW!
mdbannon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also getting annoying Ad notifications. Finally turned off notifications on phone. when then stops the real security ones to get through. I'll switch vendors if they done stop all the Ads. 

ctpenny05
Aspirant
Aspirant
How in the heck do you contact customer support? I just tried doing a chat and got horrible support. My question was “how come I am getting a notification in my arlo app saying I can subscribe to a year of smart plan for less than $50 a 60% savings, but I’m not able to select anything besides a monthly subscription?” The answer I got was to check my email spam folder. I thought to myself ok maybe the offer code was via email. No spam email. Then I’m asked to clear my cache and cookies then reboot my computer. What?!?? I asked how that would help. Then I get told yearly subscriptions no longer exist. 1. Why did I get the offer then. 2. Why would the support person, who obviously want a native English speaker tell me to do ridiculous tasks? 3. How in the *#%* can I talk to customer support??
Face021
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does anyone know if you can get rid of the sudden full page ads on the screen when bringing up the camera? My child is in the midst of crying or shuffling during sleep and I just want to check on the status of the child. Why do we have to see a full page ad that I must first click out of? This seems very off for in app adds when timing and quick reactions could be important .
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ctpenny05 wrote:
. How in the *#%* can I talk to customer support??

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx has phone numbers for various countries.

Unfortunately there are a lot of subscription problems at the moment - hopefully Arlo will straighten them out soon.

LeoLyons
Guide
Guide
Jessica.... My friend..... Don't be so patronising.
This is NOT a technical issue.
It is clearly intentional.
Cut the BS, AND tell them to fix the problem.
Tektraveler
Tutor
Tutor
I am unable to answer my Arlo doorbell because EVERY time I receive an incoming call from the Arlo doorbell, a pop up ad for Arlo Smart appears. Clicking the X in the corner of the ad does NOTHING. There is no way to close the ad while the incoming call is active. I can’t answer, unmute it mute, view video, etc because the pop up won’t close.

What is worse, I am currently subscribed to Arlo Smart Premier! So why would I want an offer to downgrade my service????

My household is currently in the middle of 14 days isolation due to COVID-19. We were hoping to rely on Arlo to answer the door to grocery and food deliveries as we can’t open the door. But we can’t use Arlo to speak to anyone outside our door.

Dear Jessica, I have attached a screenshot of the ad that we can’t close when a call from the doorbell comes in. Please don’t offer me platitudes. Your app is crap, clearly not tested, and the reports of pop up ads, marketing notifications, etc show that your company does not value your existing paying customers in an blatant and aggressive attempt to increase sales.

Fix this NOW.

More details: Attached pop up from iOS. This is occurring on both my wife’s and my iPhone, in fact - every user in my account. The pop up does not close, I have to throw away the app and hope that the next time it starts up there is no ad. Acknowledging the pop up without an incoming call does not stop the pop up from appearing again later. It keeps popping up if I haven’t used the app for a while. Pressing Subscribe Now does not stop the ad either. It comes back again and again.

When is this going to be fixed?
Jarl_Balgruuf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just want to add my voice to the list.  I've got the Arlo Q Plus POE model, so if I get notifications from my cameras, it's not batteries being low or anything like that, it's motion, and I want to be able to check it IMMEDIATELY.  I don't want to have to waste seconds trying to push the tiny "X" button on a full screen ad that I am definitely not going to read  because I'm trying to check on the security of my home!  I don't care if you're offering Arlo Smart for free, when I want to check my cameras I am NOT going to take the time to read any sort of ad that's popped up.

Quit the in-app advertising.  You guys already send a lot of email with offers and all that sort of junk.  I've got 4 of these cameras and I'm seriously considering selling them and switching to something like Ubiquiti's camera offering.

kubel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also experiencing this issue. I've submitted case # 41543551 which contains several screenshots on my Android device showing the ads that repeatedly display. "Dismiss and never show this again" does nothing. It's now becoming really annoying because Arlo is sending push notifications through my phone (Galaxy S10e, running Android 10) for these ads as well. To make matters worse, when I "tap to unlock exclusive discount", it does absolutely nothing and eventually will come back as a new push notification.  

asmadking
Initiate
Initiate

I just want to say it is REALLY inappropriate for Arlo to put a sales message splash page first thing when you open the app. What if I need to access the app quickly because I got an alert at 2 a.m.? What if someone is at the door and I need to see who it is? There are so many reasons this is a terrible idea. Their interests in selling me a subscription is pushing the functionality of this system as security even further back. Now I have to be interrupted in my quest to check on the status of my property by closing a splash page. This is really tasteless and dripping of greed.

If they simply MUST try to sell me more, how about embedding an app within the devices page instead? Or as a banner? Arlo just does NOT seem to understand why and how people are TRYING to use their products.

Tektraveler
Tutor
Tutor
I finally received a response from Arlo Support... this is their suggested solution.

“One probable cause for this to happen is that the alerts for advertisements is enabled. If you do not want to receive alerts, you may follow the steps below:

1. Launch the Arlo app or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.
2. Go to settings > Profile > Uncheck the box for keepme up-to-date on latest news, support and more from Arlo”

I have just “unchecked” this box in my profile and will give it some time to see it stops the pop up ads.

I don’t recall ever checking this box before, as I never usually opt in for these types of messages, so maybe when it was added we were all automatically opted in (which is illegal in Canada).
oddtodd
Star
Star

I'm getting on my windows computer only. And i do not have that checked.

And it would have been nice the here that in this forum from Jessica . So this really does show that Arlo could care less about us !!!!!!!!

P.S. Arlo Please don't remove this comment as you have done in the passed.

ktharrison
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did see this setting and it was checked. But after closing my browser and clearing the cache it still pops up. 

userx555
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you turn of the annoying popup when you sign in? 

Theres 2 different pop ups that occur about signing up for the subscription.

There should be a "Do not show this message again" check box like other normal services.  I have been clicking on them for weeks hoping it should go away, but its not, and I am ready to move on to another camera system since one of the cameras quit syncing with the base station.

TobyC7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't access my recording as Arlo has decided to promote their products and I can't remove the promo. I have a fully paid-up subscription for Arlo premier until July. Is anyone else experiences this?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

In our effort to help our consumers understand the benefits of the Arlo Smart subscription, we’ve shared our recent Smart promo information via the in-app ads and push notifications. This communication was received with mixed reviews. We appreciate your feedback and want to let you know that your concerns are acknowledged. We have since removed the push notifications to ensure the primary purpose of the Arlo mobile app is to provide security-related alerts that matter the most to you and your family. We’ll continue to work to evaluate your feedback and to provide a better experience when using your Arlo app.

Arlo Team

elyaihu
Initiate
Initiate

I am still getting full pop up ads when I try to log in and view live video. FYI I cannot immediately close the ad in my iPhone app by clicking the x in the top right hand corner for what appears to be something like 3 to 5 seconds.

It appears your programmers are trying to force us to read your ads when we may be trying to view security footage in near real time. This is poor form for a security product. This does not help me understand the benefits of any of your services, but rather angers me and informs me that you prioritize your bottom line over the functionality of products you have already sold to customers.