Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MarkWCO
Star
Star

I have had my Arlo Pro 2's for about 3 years.  I was grandfathered into a plan that is no longer available.  My current plan supports up to 10 cameras which is nice since I have 7 cameras.  I just added a Essential Video Doorbell today though and it comes with a 3 month trial of Arlo Smart.  I am confused since I believe I now have two plans.  If I'm correct the plan I'm grandfathered into does not support the doorbell so I realize I likely will have to go to a new plan.  Yet I can't figure out how to cancel my old plan and go totally with the new plan.  I realize it's a 3 month trial for the new plan but I also know it has a limit of 5 cameras so that is another concern.  How do I use 7 cameras plus a video doorbell with this new plan?  As well my annual subscription renews on May 23rd so I want to make sure I make the correction before then so I don't renew for another year.  Thanks in advance for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MarkWCO wrote:

How do I use 7 cameras plus a video doorbell with this new plan? 

With the new plan you can add 3 extra cameras.  Price would 1/2 the normal rate.  For instance, Elite in the US would be $14.99 for 5 cameras, plus $2.49 for each additional one.

@MarkWCO wrote:

If I'm correct the plan I'm grandfathered into does not support the doorbell

I believe that is wrong - that you should be able to add the doorbell to your grandfathered plan.  @JamesC - can you confirm?

MarkWCO
Star
Star

I hope that is true.  It's on a 3 month trial for free now so I'm not paying for it but am wondering what happens once the trial is over.  If I can simply add it to my current plan that would be the best option.  I was under the impression it is a newer Arlo product and like the Pro 3 and other newer items it can't work with legacy plans.  It's not allowing me to move it over to my plan at this time but it could be that it's on it's own trial plan.

Does Arlo allow multiple plans?  WIth having 7 cameras it's nice being on a plan that allows up to 10 cameras, although Arlo Pro 2 and older.  The new plans seem to cost more and only allow up to 5 cameras and if I'm correct I'd pay $1.49 extra so a total of $4.50 extra a month for the two extra Arlo Pro 2's and the Doorbell.  

Currently I pay $99/year for the legacy Arlo Smart Premier which allows up to 10 cameras in case I add anymore cameras.  If I'm correct even if I can't move the Doorbell to my legacy plan it will cost $1.49 for an additional Smart plan just for that which is about $18/year.  Previously I had a Ring doorbell and was paying $30/year for that so this saves me money.  Yet if I have to switch to a new plan it's $9.99/month and I assume there is no discount for paying a year in advance like I do now and then the 2 additional Arlo Pro's at $1.49 each plus the doorbell at $1.49 takes me to $173/year.  If I have to do this I will but that's why I'm hoping to possibly either add the doorbell to my current plan or worse case have two plans, keep my current one for my 7 Arlo Pro 2's and once the trial is over keep the new Arlo Smart plan at $1.49/month for the doorbell.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MarkWCO wrote:

I was under the impression it is a newer Arlo product and like the Pro 3 and other newer items it can't work with legacy plans.  

I believe that impression is incorrect.  Newer products do require paid subscriptions for cloud storage.  But (if memory serves) the Smart Premier Plan you have was made available when the Ultra was launched, and is not restricted to old cameras. 

The plan is limited to 1080p (4K was a separate option, and I don't think it can be added on anymore).  Although the doorbell uses a square picture (and is somewhat above 1080p), it should still work - and you can downscale the resolution if that is necessary. 

Still, I think it'd be best for @JamesC or another mod to chime in, so you get the official word on this. 

I've never tried to use multiple subscriptions in one account, so it would be good to get the official word on that too.  Though if you connect the doorbell with home WiFi (or its own base) then you could use a different account with a single camera subscription, and then use guest access to let you see all cameras from both accounts.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @MarkWCO

Thanks for the great questions. 

• Q. "I am confused since I believe I now have two plans. If I'm correct the plan I'm grandfathered into does not support the doorbell so I realize I likely will have to go to a new plan."
    • A. The Legacy plan that you are grandfathered into will support your new Arlo Pro Essential Wire-free Video Doorbell.
      • After the trial ends, you will need to navigate to Settings > Subscription > Manage Cameras & add it to your list of Active cameras.
  • Q. "Yet I can't figure out how to cancel my old plan and go totally with the new plan."
    • A. Please note: if you cancel your legacy plan for any of the new Smart Plans, you will NOT be able to return to your Legacy plan.

​​​​​​​I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

ShayneS where he asked about two plans I think that is possible is it not if he uses two accounts.  That will require a second e-mail to set up but that should allow keeping the legacy account since it remains as is and isn't dropped for the new account ???

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

I think that is possible  if he uses two accounts.  That will require a second e-mail to set up but that should allow keeping the legacy account since it remains as is and isn't dropped for the new account ???

I agree that setting up a new account for the doorbell would work.  Friend access could then be used to let him see all cameras from both accounts.

But it'd be simpler (and cheaper) to just add the doorbell to the existing legacy plan, since he is only using 7 of the 10 licenses now.