Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo pro 3 continues to suffer from missed recordings to the cloud, misclassified "smart" alerts and duplicate notifications.  When is Arlo planning to fix Arlo "smart"?

How can an EV be unplugged, and moved without a recording to the cloud?  I know the camera works and is active as it recoded the wind blowing branches around it all freaking day but it misses when some one gets in it and moves it?  SERIOUSLY!

Spider webs and shadows get registered as "person" and as "vehicle".  seriously?  I counted one day and 30% were misclassified without counting "motion" events that were not classified properly.

Still, double notifications continue to make this situation even worse because I am doubly reminded how dumb arlo "smart" is.

Arlo needs to get the algorithm right.  this is an Arlo server issue.  Don't try support because all they can tell you is to reboot, remove and add to the system, or that my internet must be too slow.  No the problem is that Arlo Smart is not smart enough.  In fact it is not even good enough.  Unfortunately, I can't afford to replace it, so I'm stuck with a substandard product that I have to pay to use.  At least give us the free 7 day window back.........

5 REPLIES 5
dcfox1
Master
Master

What brand has near perfect notifications classification? Have you read other brand forums. I had ring and dumped them due to lack of basic features. The Grass is not always greener. I do agree I don't know why there are duplicate notifications but at least now there is no sound alert so I just ignore it if I see it. 

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

maybe, but I shouldn't have to pay a premium subscription for a product that doesn't work any better than arlo pro did.  I should expect to get notified when a vehicle is moved from a driveway  - and this is not the first time this type of event has been missed.  In fact in many ways Pro3 is worse because it promises more but doesn't deliver.  I'd have been happy if I could have just reliably been able to power arlo pro devices other than by battery.   I shouldn't have to have local recording set up to get ALL the recordings - If that was the case, I'd just put in a local system with better cameras.  the reason consumers pick Arlo is for the CONVENIENCE of the cloud that we are paying to access.

this is on top of the latency that makes "live" conversations impossible.  Additionally, the audio quality is terrible - too much attenuation on the microphone.  volume recorded at 30 feet away is the same as right under the camera.  even playing back at full volume with headphones.  With old arlo pro I moved to another location, I have to turn down the playback volume.

I've had Arlo, Arlo pro and now Arlo pro3.  Arlo to Arlo pro was an improvement.  Akaline batteries to rechargeable, sound and better video resolution.  Arlo pro didn't like having a power cable connected all the time, so I was stuck with battery work arounds since I couldn't get to a remote location sometimes within 6 months.   Arlo pro 3 sounded promising, but for me, the only improvement has been the magnetic charging cable so I don't have to change batteries and better video resolution.  as for the rest of the experience, Arlo Smart stinks.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

What brand has near perfect "Really"  nobody has asked for perfect but I have had days in the past where there was near 50% wrong identification.  Also not all brands advertise what Arlo claims and cost what we pay for Arlo.  So again "Really".  That being said, I started donating every mislabeled video and it has helped after about 6 months, the error rate is much lower, down to about15% Kudos for that and I would suggest everyone donate mislabeled videos.  I just don't believe it should be up to users more than three years in to be the ones to be responsible to make this work in 2021.  There is no excuse for calling the steam from my heat pump a person in the middle of the night, there is no excuse for calling a moth a person in the middle of the night, there is no excuse for calling a bee a person, not in 2021.  But it is what it is so I'll keep sending and be thankful for the improvement.

MVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

you are a better person than I am.  I am not going to take the time to teach the Arlo algorithm when I am paying for the service.....

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I don't know about better but I am stubborn lol.  I purchase two years of extended warranty when I made the purchase knowing even the pro two took Netgear a year to work out the bugs.  With the new Arlo management and their policies and poor support the end of the extended warranty is probably the countdown to another brand.  Since the Ultra must be plugged in for all the features anyway I'll probably be looking at a wired system that is much faster for notifications, can be accessed easier when RVing and seems to offer better pics for license plates and such.  Some can send vehicle and people notifications without the need to first be analyzed in the cloud.  Also at least one can even do facial recognition for people that are normally in view or logged in to memory by you.  These advancements will continue as my warranty expires so will keep watching them till then.