Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Microsoft Edge doesn't support HEVC

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well now that Microsoft forced the new Edge browser on us you can no longer view the library without first downloading unless your computer has complete hardware support, no longer supporting HEVC otherwise.  This pretty much makes a subscription pointless unless you live on your phone.

2 REPLIES 2
dcfox1
Master
Master

What are you trying 1080 or 2k or 4k.  I can see 2k on my older desktop but not surface tablet. 

1080p is fine on both. Even before Arlo got rid of flash. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It's 2K, I avoided the update because many that went to the Edge Chromium were having issues because the HEVC viewer purchase from the Microsoft store no longer worked.  Those that have a computer with the hardware control don't have an issue and didn't need the extension.  However last night my windows updated and they don't give you a choice,  Microsoft installs it and won't let you uninstall it.  Probably like other browsers they don't want to have to pay for it.  At first it was a free extension and then when the cost went up they started charging for it and now it won't even install as an extension. So as long as Arlo uses that format you have to download the video to view it.  Edge was the only browser that you could view the library in once the 1080 plan ended until this forced update.  If I have to download every video to watch it, I may as well save the cost of a plan and just use my SD card for viewing the library.