Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pdcm
Initiate
Initiate

I am subscribed to Alro Smart Premier and have set alerts to notify me only when a person is detected. . It had been working well for a few months but for the last few days I've been recieving alert notifcations due to all motion detected. Now my phone is being filled with alerts that I had filtered off. Arlo smart notications are not working properly.

237 REPLIES 237
elwoodj
Guide
Guide

I think the problem was with Arlo Smart service. Nothing that I did helped and then the problem went away.

elwoodj
Guide
Guide

I no longer have this issue. Nothing that I tried helped, and then the problem went away, presumably thanks to work of Arlo engineers.

mrbane
Tutor
Tutor

Is there a way possible to filter out the alert messages spam....as there are tons of notifications now 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can turn notifications off, if that's what you mean.

Wheelz81
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here, have to guess based on camera and shape of motion if it’s person or other 😕
Rusty6
Guide
Guide

Having the issue... disappointing for paid service.  Seemed to happen with the last iOS update.  When can we expect a solution?

circlecf
Guide
Guide
Mine started working again after I used the app to turn the camera off for several hours, then back on again. Go to settings, My Devices, select the bad camera, toggle Off.
Rusty6
Guide
Guide

The toggle did work for me as well.  

Thanks!

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

There are lots of problems here.. 

For me, I have had Arlo Smart disabled (but still buy the service since I need >5 cameras) for awhile due to the slow notifications.  However, yesterday (2018-11-20) it seems to be turned on for some cameras randomly, again.  When I went to disable it again, I started seeing some inconsistencies based on how I access the Arlo service:

* Web UI: Gives me the option to enable/disable Arlo smart --> shows all cameras have Arlo smart INACTIVE

* iOS / Android app: Gives me the option to enable/disable Arlo smart --> shows all cameras have Arlo smart ACTIVE except for one of them (but not the one I was actually receiving smart alerts from).  Dragging cameras into the inactive state results in them popping back a few seconds later.

Am I the only one seeing this?  It's very frustrating.

- Mark

SoyBoy26
Star
Star

Hi - Like many in this thread, I had the bombardment of smart notifications about 10 days back, which appears to have been a NetGear issue. And this morning (11/21) the same issues have started up again. Now getting notifications of Vehicles, Motion, Animals (!), and phantom Persons for my front street facing camera. Smart notifications are set to just Person for this camera. Have now had to turn that camera off, which obviously is not ideal for a camera/alarm system. Is NetGear experiencing another issue with Smart notifications? I've not changed anything with my system.

elwoodj
Guide
Guide

Hi Dawn,

This issue started happening again this morning. I am getting a barrage of Motion notifications.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Erem

sigsegv11
Tutor
Tutor
I confirm that this is broken again.

Since someone said they got an animal alert, I assume this is due to the rollout of new detection features. That shouldn't break existing users though...
elwoodj
Guide
Guide

Yeah I am also getting vehicle alerts now. Not sure how I can turn them off as there is no option under Arlo Smart notifications, only Person and Motion.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is part of an enhancement to Arlo Smart in the latest release. Make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app downloaded and installed and you will be able to make additional selections for motion detection notifications. Take a look at the release notes here: Arlo iOS App - 2.6.2 - 21st November 2018

JamesC

sigsegv11
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

The Android app hasn't been updated, the new settings aren't configurable. The web interface was updated, however. I was able to turn off animal detection for the cameras I care about.

I got one plain old "motion" notification overnight, indicating that Arlo Smart was completely disabled at the time. We'll see if that part breaks again.

SoyBoy26
Star
Star

So I just downloaded the latest iOS 2.6.2 app, and it doesn't fix the problem. In fact, there are no options to configure "smart" alerts for anything but "People". So I'm continuing to get bombarded with things like Vehicle detection notifications. And when I log into the web site, it's the same thing - only "smart" notification is for "People". So this is a big problem, and I'm not happy to be spending some of Thanksgiving Eve trying to troubleshoot an Arlo/NetGear issue. Please fix this immediately. This is the second screw up in less than 2 weeks.

SoyBoy26
Star
Star

Ok - I might have figured some things out...I ended up having the drag all my cameras out of the "Active" section under "Manage Arlo Smart", made them "Inactive", then dragged them all back into "Active". Once I did that, then the other Motion Alert settings like "Vehicles" and "Animals" showed up.  I also turned the camera off and on. We'll see if it now limits the notifications to "People" the way I want it to for one specific camera.

I have to say, this has been a really poor user experience. I'm glad I was able to (hopefully) figure it out, and I'm guessing I'm not the onlye one having issues like this today.

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

I still can't seem to figure out how to get them disabled - I tried the steps SoyBoy26 mentioned but I'm still seeing a disparity between what the web UI shows (Arlo smart INACTIVE for all cameras) and the Android/iOS apps (Arlo smart ACTIVE for all cameras).  The user experience I have is that Arlo smart is active and my notifications are delayed.  I tried moving them back & forth between active & inactive using the web UI a few times but it doesn't make a difference 😞

Arlo, please provide a fix or roll back the change.  Also, please don't do major changes like this *right* before US holidays.

- Mark

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

This whole crap system keeps getting better. After yesterdays "UPDATE" there is a 50/50 chance to get notifications at all, and IF you get them, it is a few hours later and then 4-6 sounds for each occurence. The trick with taking cameras out of the "SMART" zone to get back instant notifications doesn't work anymore either, because it doesn't make a difference now.

ARLO/NETGEAR JUST GIVE IT UP!!! YOU CAN'T PULL IT OFF!!!

And the next one telling me to contact "SUPPORT", LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Upsman87
Guide
Guide

Arlo, I suggest that until this issue is resolved that you stop charging your customers for a feature that you cannot provide.  Smart notifications is the main feature that I desired when I signed up for your Arlo Smart (now useless) service...as I see it, you owe me $9.99 for the last month that my service has not worked.

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

This whole crap system keeps getting better. After yesterdays "UPDATE" there is a 50/50 chance to get notifications at all, and IF you get them, it is a few hours later and then 4-6 sounds for each occurence. The trick with taking cameras out of the "SMART" zone to get back instant notifications doesn't work anymore either, because it doesn't make a difference now.

The 4-6 sounds for each occurrence is something that I've always experienced as well when Arlo smart is enabled.  It causes the notification sound on my Android phone to cut itself off and sound like it's stuttering.  When Arlo smart was disabled, notification sounds were normal.  I don't know if this happens on iOS - I only have notifications enabled on my Android device(s).  It's just one additional bug/annoyance to add to the pile.

Anyway, there was talk of app updates in this forum - the Arlo app has mention of package/animal/etc. detection now on version 2.6.2 but it still does not allow me to turn off Arlo smart.

The only workaround I see now is to actually quit the Arlo Smart Premiere subscription and move back to the basic/free plan.  Although, that doesn't work for some folks (like me) who have more than 5 cameras (without "cheating" and re-pairing cameras to a separate account but that has its own set of issues).

Arlo folks, please help with this.

- Mark

Rusty6
Guide
Guide
I agree. The ongoing struggle to debug the functionality is frustrating. I’m now petting Vechile alerts and don’t even have the option to manage it.

How do I get my service fee back for the last month.

I love the technology but Arlo needs to clean up how they manage software.
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@Prolixium wrote:

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

The 4-6 sounds for each occurrence is something that I've always experienced as well when Arlo smart is enabled.  It causes the notification sound on my Android phone to cut itself off and sound like it's stuttering.  When Arlo smart was disabled, notification sounds were normal.  I don't know if this happens on iOS - I only have notifications enabled on my Android device(s).  It's just one additional bug/annoyance to add to the pile.

Anyway, there was talk of app updates in this forum - the Arlo app has mention of package/animal/etc. detection now on version 2.6.2 but it still does not allow me to turn off Arlo smart.

The only workaround I see now is to actually quit the Arlo Smart Premiere subscription and move back to the basic/free plan.  Although, that doesn't work for some folks (like me) who have more than 5 cameras (without "cheating" and re-pairing cameras to a separate account but that has its own set of issues).

Arlo folks, please help with this.

- Mark

Disabling Arlo "SMART" worked for me until yesterday. That has now been screwed up as well. The only thing those so called "Engineers" are capale off is breaking more stuff each time and mainly eliminating the workarounds. I'm down to the point I just wanna throw all this garbage out on the street. And I am beyond pi$$ed at myself that I nearly stuck $1.000 in this AND the $10 every month. A CCTV with a DVR would do the job now.

DaGooseMon
Guide
Guide
DawnM,

Please note, since the last update to the app, the two cams I pay to have Smart Cloud services on will not stay in the Arlo Smart Active Camera field. When I try to put them in that field, I get a message stating I’m not authorized to make that change. I’m the only administrator on my account and I am paying for two cameras to have this service. You can imagine my frustration I’m sure. What is the ETA on the fix please?
GuySmiley
Initiate
Initiate
This is the same exact issue I’m having as well.