Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Chime and Motion Detection of camera

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wrinklycandy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an interesting problem. I have Arlo Chime and an Arlo camera (not doorbell)

I want my chime to activate ONLY when someone enters the activity zone.  I have noticed a bug ? where irrespective of where the motion is detected (either in the zone or out of the zone) the chime will activate.

The activity zone set will stop me receiving notifications if the activity is outside of the zone, and no recording is made which is exactly what I’d expect, but the motion is still detected to set the chime off. It’s like the activity zone only disables notifications…but not the rest of the automation workflow in the app to stop triggering the chime as well.

Any help Arlo Support on this one !

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wrinklycandy,

This is behaving as designed. When your camera detects motion, that triggers the rule(s) for that camera. If activity zones are enabled, the analysis for whether or not the motion took place in the zone happens on the Arlo cloud and then that recording/notification is discarded. I will provide your feedback on this to the development team.

JamesC

Wrinklycandy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Thanks.  I have the chime set up in the rules for the camera as well as you'd expect.  Are the rules processed locally on the hub and not the cloud as well ?

As a user, when it says in the rule set up....

"When motion detected do the following"....  record video, play melody etc...   that the entire rule set would be executed in the cloud, and the first assessment of 'motion' done would be on the basis of motion within the activity zones, THEN to execute the remaining rules if TRUE.  It seems the 'motion' rule only applies to notifications back to the user, not the remaining rules. This would be very helpful to get addressed in future releases.

Cheers

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wrinklycandy wrote:

that the entire rule set would be executed in the cloud,

The motion detection and the recordings components of the rule set are executed in the camera/base.

The cloud comes into the picture after that.  If you use activity zones then cloud recordings that have no motion inside the zones will be supressed by the cloud (but local recordings in the base will still be there).  All notifications come through the cloud (and smart nofifications are classified in the cloud).