Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

arlo light - motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi

Had the arlo light for 5 days now and have motion detection issues during daylight hours.  Even at 50% I get false notifications, the light is pointing at the same area as a couple of Arlo cameras (basically a camera at each end of the rear of the house and the light in the middle with nothing different about sunlight, shrubs etc).  I am not talking about just one or two a day either, i am talking about five or six an hour at 50%,  at 60%-70% i get bombarded by alerts.

Question is why when my Arlo Cam (gen 1's) are set at 65% I get no false alerts?  When its dark the false alert cease, so i assume its the sun causing it?  I dont want to lower the sensitivity even more as this may affect night time detection to the point of it being useless. 

Basically i just want to leave it armed all the time.

Anyone elso finding motion detection an issue?  What sensitivity % are people generally using?

(I currently use IFTTT triggers to arm/disarm at sunrise/sunset)

6 REPLIES 6
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I dont have the light but i can tell you that the sun does affect my arlo pro. Not sure if they use the same pir motion detection in the light. Basically my camera is ok at 55% till about noon when sun is directly overhead. It picks up cars fine but not people. Even at close range . so i have to change it to 100% unless its a cloudy day. Then of cousrse i get way more videos thus faster battery drain. From 7 am till noon i get maybe a dozen videos but from noon till 4 i get 70+. Theres no way around it . i too get a few false alerts but not as many as you
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I use a schedule to disarm the lights during the day and arm them at night. Since the lights won't light up during the day and you already have camera(s) in the same area, why have both be active, especially if you're getting false triggers? As noted, it may be the exact positioning that's getting reflected IR setting them off.

spirosspike
Guide
Guide

Why I cant get to schedule to arm from say 6 pm to 6am , says stop time should be later than start time.

Also one of my lights goes crazy with notifications for about 5 mins once is triggered even if no one in sight of it.

So if i walk pass , it turns on and off for  about 5 mins.  it turns on 1 min then off  then little man icon lights up and keeps turning on light. then repeats

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@spirosspike wrote:

Why I cant get to schedule to arm from say 6 pm to 6am , says stop time should be later than start time.

Try this.

• Start time 12:00 AM (what we know as 00:00 AM)
  • Stop time 06:00 AM
  • Start time 06:00 PM
  • Stop time 12:00 AM

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
spirosspike
Guide
Guide
Thanks that seemed to work
wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Using a schedule, particularly Arlo's fairly primitive time based schedule isnt really a solution.  If I use a schedule to turn the lights on/off in the day and night it means I will be constantly amending them as the sunrise/sunset changes during the year.

I currently use stringify and IFTTT to turn on/off at sunset/sunrise but dont like embedding another system to control things, it just adds to things to go wrong, maintain etc.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation