Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Sweep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

Quick question - is it possible to purchase an add-on light without an included bridge, or is the only purchase option to order a light/bridge pack?  I understand the reason for security light using a bridge, and personally think it's a good idea.  However, UK homes are rarely vast estates these days and my 2-bedroom home is compact enough that a single bridge placed upstairs centrally within the home is perfectly sufficient.  

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A quick search on the UK Amazon site shows only the light with a bridge. In the US, separate lights are available. It appears that the packaging for the UK forces the bridge to be included although other sites may have other options.

Interestingly, it's cheaper in the US Amazon store to buy a light with a bridge than it is to buy a standalone light. You don't have to use the second bridge.

Sweep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks for taking time to reply.

From a consumer POV it seems crazy not to have the option to purchase an add-on at a slightly reduced cost, particularly as I believe Arlo itself adivses one can add a recommended up to four lights to one bridge.  From the manufacturer POV I guess it allows them to keep the retail cost up.

I'm very surpirsed there isn't, as I far as can find, an available bundle with a camera, light and doorbell included to target newcomers to the Arlo ecosystem as well as individually sold items for those already invested - all somewhat disjointed IMO.  Certainly I shall wait a while, as is forever the case in the UK, to see whether an option to purchase a light without bridge appears on Amazon, Curry's etcetera.  

I note your comment about the Amazon US cost being higher, however, so I shall not hold my breath for a sensible way forward.

Thanks againSmiley Happy 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Sweep wrote:

Certainly I shall wait a while, as is forever the case in the UK, to see whether an option to purchase a light without bridge appears on Amazon, Curry's etcetera.  

It doesn't help that the Arlo on-line store offers such a limited number of retail outlets for these things.

I used Kikatek once, but never again. That leaves Amazon and Curry's. Some choice!

It is possible easier, maybe even cheaper, to import them from the USA.

None of the pricing makes sense. You can import a three-pack (with bridge) for £132.11 + tax or you can pay £150.24 locally for a single light band bridge. Almost cheaper to get on to a plane to the USA.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Sweep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Michael.

I am not a fan of importing as I feel it adds a further potential complication if anything goes wrong so will generally steer clear of such a solution.  I acknowlegde what you have highlighted though.  It is a little like the stories that come to light every so often of someone flying in to mainland Europe and back to the UK as it is cheaper than catching a train direct.

With essential costs continuing to rise faster than salaries here in the UK you would think it is but a matter of time until the gravy train leaves the station.  Manufacturers can not expect UK residents to continue paying a much higher cost for goods forever and a day.  I do shop at Currys but good deals on smart tech. is hard to come by there.  Amazon has regular offers that are worth waiting for.  I did get a hefty discount on the cameras so I will be patient with the lights.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation