Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Crosshair
Guide
Guide

I ordered the 3-pack lights from Costco.  One of the lights is defective. One of the wires that touches the battery is obvioulsy loose. I contacted Arlo help through chat and they agreed to replace it. No problem.  But, they now want me to pay for shipping their bad light back?   That is a problem.  I currently have three 3-camera systems specified for me and two other clients of mine.  I've  also bought 7 Arlo Q cameras besides that.  Add to that my Nighthawk router and range extender.  I'm a pretty good customer.  But, even if I wasn't, they should pay for the shipping.  I could have taken all of the lights back to Costco, but I though this process would be best for Netgear and less hassle for me and Costco.  Maybe I have been misplacing my loyalties.

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Crosshair,

Please send me a private message with your Arlo Support case number. I'd like to take a closer look at your case.

JamesC

Crosshair
Guide
Guide

I sent a reply to you but didn't see any more posts.

This is regarding support casse 40574124

I also didn't provide a way for anyone to communicate with me directly.

Crosshair
Guide
Guide

Don't think that because someone asks for a private commuinication that it will turn out well. It won't.  Those reponses are ignored.  Bottom line, if they send you something defective, plan on paying for shipping it back.  Yeah, as anyone reading this will get: That is simply the wrong response if you were working with a reputable comany.  Very sorry and dissapoionted to have to report that..

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

James asked you to send him a private message (PM) so he could follow up on your case.  Did you send him a PM? Are you familiar with how to send and receive PMs?

Crosshair
Guide
Guide

I wasn't at first, so i did it agan.  I'm sure it went through the second time.  I also provided private email contact information in my email. If there is a private location on this site to view responses, I missed. it.  Thus far, I have had no response that I am aware of.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

The PM system is accessed via the envelope icon at the top right of the web page, next to your username  See image below.  From your description I cannot tell if you used the PM system.  Sounds like you did not, becuase it is a "private location on this site to view responses," which you say you are unaware of.

If you haven't already, I would suggest you PM JamesC as he requested. If you already did, then send him another PM.

Anyway, you shouldn't expect Arlo to do as you wish, because it's standard practie in the electronics industry for the customer to pay return shipping on warranty claims.  If you have a product that's defective right out of the box, it's best to return it to the retailer for an immediate exchange.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 6.54.39 PM.png

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@st_shaw wrote:

If you have a product that's defective right out of the box, it's best to return it to the retailer for an immediate exchange.

Spot on. Indeed, in some countries, certainly the UK, that is what the law says under consumer protection laws.

And these laws may well do better than the maker's warranty cover. For example, manufacturers may say "one year" where the law, in the EU for example, says that stuff should last much longer.

I gather that Amazon also has a good reputation when it comes to handling defective products.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation