Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo light keeps going offline

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DCP4971
Guide
Guide

Per title; we have a light (AL1101r4) connected to a bridge and while the bridge (ABB1000r1.0) remains connected, the light keeps going offline after a week or so. Only solution seems to be to remove the light and add it again - then repeat after the light loses connection. Rebooting base and bridge makes no difference.

I have moved between Wi-Fi SSIDs in case it’s in some way related to the different routers or some kind of conflict between 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs, doesn’t seem to make any difference. I know it will only connect to a 2.4ghz SSID, so have tried only having a 2.4ghz SSID available for it from our router, still, it drops offline.

Curious if others have had the same issues and if so, how you got around it.

Thanks

ETA: it is mains powered, so not the battery running down

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The security lights connect to the bridge via Bluetooth, not WiFi. The bridge connects to your base/hub like a camera, using the dedicated WiFi provided by the base/hub.

I would bring the light indoors for testing to see if that makes a difference. Might be the location and/or distance.

DCP4971
Guide
Guide

At, thanks, I’d not realised that was the connection method.

The bridge is only about 1.5m from the light, probably in the closest mains outlet to the light (I had the same issues when it was plugged in a different socket so moved it closer) but will do some further troubleshooting around Bluetooth interference that might be occurring and potentially try moving the bridge .

Cheers!

DCP4971
Guide
Guide

Am at a bit of a loss.. Added the light back, seems to have stayed connected for less than a week.

Not sure what would be interfering - there are so many BT devices in the house.

Anyone know if 2.4gHz wifi could interfere? The light is fairly close to one of the satellites of my mesh wifi.  It so clear on how BT works, but have read it seems to skip around channels so not sure that we can affect anything that might interfere if it’s wifi related..

🤷‍♂️

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DCP4971 wrote:

Am at a bit of a loss.. Added the light back, seems to have stayed connected for less than a week.

Not sure what would be interfering - there are so many BT devices in the house.

The light is fairly close to one of the satellites of my mesh wifi.  

FWIW, BlueTooth also uses the 2.4 ghz band, so there could be interference.

You could try moving the bridge to a different outlet.  The light->bridge connection is BLE (bluetooth low energy), and the typical range should be about the same as wifi.  So it doesn't need to be as close as it is.

Also, it's possible that the bridge's wifi connection is dropping - if that is the case, the bridge will no longer show up on your router's attached device list when the light goes off-line.

DCP4971
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the reply.

I moved the bridge to a different socket, same issue. Bridge still shows in the list of connected devices on my router but light drops off.

However, was fiddling around with stuff last night on my router and moved the 2.4ghz wifi to a different channel and as if by magic, the light reappeared as online in the Arlo app.

I'm sure I noted way back that the Arlo base seems to follow the wifi channel of the router that it's connected to as Arlo never gave the option to select the desired channel on the Base wifi.

So, for now, I seem to have a light that is connected as expected. I'm assuming that if I restart the Base it will reconnect on the same wifi channel as my router and we'll have the same issue with the light dropping off..might give it a whirl to prove/disprove this little theorem.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation