Arlo Security light just stopped working, new issue in a long line of different problems.
Today I brought in one of my Arlo Security Lights to charge the battery. After it completed its charge, I swapped out the battery to recharge another battery in the same unit (I do this frequently). However when I put the battery into the same unit that was just charging, it didn't start to charge and the device showed as disconnected in the app! My first thought was the battery had died (which would have been the 3rd battery of mine that has died!). However I brought in one of my other Arlo Security Lights and tried the same battery in that one, and it started charging! So after switching out my battery, the unit has somehow stopped working. I can’t see anything wrong with the connection in the back, so I have no idea what is wrong. These things are so poorly made, it's unreal.
Anyone else experienced something like this? Anytime I try to talk with support, they make me run through a ridiculous set of troubleshooting steps, including having to remove and re-add devices to my system, which is so painful.
I’m pretty much done with this company and its products, but I’ve just spent so much money it’s hard to walk away just yet. To summarize the issues I’ve had with Arlo:
- The Arlo security light that has just stopped working for no reason.
- Incredibly difficult setup with almost every device. Setup timing out, random errors, silently freezing etc. I usually get setup to complete after about 15 tries. Painful. I should point out, I’m technical by trade so this setup should be easy. I couldn’t imagine a less savvy user trying to install their equipment. I simply cannot recommend them to a friend.
- 2 batteries have died. After they lost a charge they just simply wouldn’t re-charge anymore. Problem appears to happen once the batteries were completely drained. To battle this, I now try to re-charge them before they were completely drained. What a pain.
- One of my Arlo Pro camera’s continuously stops working when it’s turned upside down! It happens if I unscrew the camera at the front of my house (to take out the battery for charging), this action of turning it upside down makes it stop working! If I put the battery back into the same unit without turning it upside down, it works fine. I guess there is a lose connection inside the unit somewhere. Now I take the battery out without unscrewing it/turning it upside down. Another huge pain.
- Several months ago, one of my Arlo security lights turned itself on and didn’t turn itself off again. This was a problem I posted about a while back. Even taking the battery out didn’t stop the light from coming back on every time. Eventually the problem went away when I charged the device.
- Several months ago, my Chime doorbell started to record via the attached camera for 5 minutes every time the doorbell was pressed. This was despite the setting to record only for as long as someone was in video shot. Customer support wanted me to add/remove the device from my system, which I just gave up on. I don’t have time to spend hours messing with this setup. I just changed the setting to record only a fixed amount of time now.
My devices have never been wet, never been dropped. I have always cared for them well.
Equipment I own:
- 1x Arlo Pro camera
- 1x Arlo camera
- 3x Arlo Security Lights
- 1x Doorbell
- 1x Chime
- 1x Base
- 1x Bridge
Very disappointed and frustrated
Re: Arlo Security light just stopped working, new issue in a long line of different problems.
As mentioned above, if I contact support, they will ask me to run through a super time consuming and problematic set of troubleshooting steps. Removing the lights from my system and then re-adding them back in will take forever and I am just fed up of the waste of time. I'm returning these to Costco and will sell of my other equipment before moving to another product.