Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Security light - No motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 68 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
hzq
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo security light not detecting any motion events when armed for 2 days. Motion detection test shows lights are working fine

68 REPLIES 68
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Which user interface (UI) are you using? The current apps support both the old one that uses Library to view recordings while the new UI uses Feed. If you use the latter, that could explain the problem. Do you have any subscription? If so, you can use the app to go to Settings, Support. Select your product and scroll down to Contacts to see if support may be able to help.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hzq wrote:
Arlo security light not detecting any motion events when armed for 2 days. Motion detection test shows lights are working fine

Mine isn't either, but I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet. Have you tried removing/reinserting the battery?

Note I am using "Feed", not "Library".

GrumpyCat333
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Lights stopped working as soon as I upgraded to the new Arlo experience.  It doesn’t matter if the whole system is armed or if it’s in home mode with the lights added to that mode.

They won’t pick up any motion and when I look at each light the motion detection icon is greyed out indicating the unit is not armed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I even tried creating a routine to turn on the motion detection for each light everyday but that doesn’t seem to work either.

Thank you

GrumpyCat333
Aspirant
Aspirant

I neglected to mention that I have a paid subscription.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the app to go to Settings, Support and choose your lights. Scroll down to Contacts to see what official support suggests.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GrumpyCat333 wrote:

My Arlo Lights stopped working as soon as I upgraded to the new Arlo experience.  It doesn’t matter if the whole system is armed or if it’s in home mode with the lights added to that mode.

They won’t pick up any motion and when I look at each light the motion detection icon is greyed out indicating the unit is not armed.

Mine recently started doing that also (though it did work when I first migrated to Feed).

I can turn the light on manually from the app.  But it does not turn on when motion is detected, and it cannot be cross-triggered by motion on an nearby camera.

@JamesC - I get these are old, but they don't go end-of-life until 1 January 2025.  Is this issue logged as a bug anywhere?

TStepp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had a load of cameras & lights for a number of years. A couple months ago, I added the Home Security Console.  Now the lights no longer work, unless I manually turn them on, in the app. 

A massive hassle, when everything worked great until adding the home system.

Please help!

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing this information. We are currently looking into this and will provide an update as soon as possible. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you verify that you are on the latest firmware?

TStepp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correct, latest firmware ("No Available Updates")

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BrookeN wrote:

Can you verify that you are on the latest firmware?

FYI, I am also seeing this.  My light is running 3.2.51 firmware

TStepp
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Security Hub - 1.10.9_e79f153

My Lights Bridges - 2.0.1.0_307_376

My Lights - 3.2.51

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for providing that information. I will pass it on to the development team. 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

About two weeks ago my three lights (AL1101) quit responding to the schedule (I don't use geofencing on the lights).

Three years ago I had added a home mode for the lights due to some kind of strange reflection off of the windows on the south side of the house, at a certain time of the year, activating that security light which in turn activates the corresponding camera (even though that camera is not even activated in the camera's "HOME" mode) constantly during the day and killing both batteries and would even do it with no lights included in the "HOME" mode. It was suggested at the time that I modify the "HOME" mode to set that light to 1% sensitivity and to "do nothing" to that camera, which (the camera) was even deactivated at the time (the other two lights are not even included in the lights "HOME" mode) which, up until now, worked great.

So far I have done a cold restart on both the hub & bridge, deleted and re-created the "HOME" mode and removed & re-created the schedule for the lights. What's interesting is that, after 7am, the app on my phone still shows the lights as "ARMED" when they should be in "HOME" mode but the web portal on my PC shows that the lights are in the "HOME" mode even though they are still "ARMED" and telling the corresponding cameras to record .

Any thoughts would be appreciated

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

Basically, to simplify the issue...the schedule for the lights quit working...the corresponding schedule for the cameras still works fine...the web portal and phone app do not agree on which mode the lights are in 🤔

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

Here's two screenshots taken at 7:22pm within seconds of each other.

At 7:00pm the schedule for the cameras and the lights switches from "HOME" to "ARMED" and as you can see the screenshot of the web portal shows that both the lights and the cameras are now "ARMED" but the screenshot of the app shows that the cameras have switched to "ARMED" (which they actually have) but the lights still show as being in the home mode (which they actually are) but if I go to the lights schedule (which sometimes shows "getting status" for 3-4 minutes) and tap on schedule (even though it is already selected) it shows "ARMED" and arms the lights. 

Screenshot 2024-03-22 192415.jpgScreenshot_20240322-192257.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KachinaShadow wrote:

Basically, to simplify the issue...the schedule for the lights quit working...the corresponding schedule for the cameras still works fine...the web portal and phone app do not agree on which mode the lights are in 🤔

FWIW, mine is not on a schedule, but it also isn't working properly.  I can manually turn the light on/off - but it does not turn on when motion is detected, and it cannot be triggered by motion detected from another camera.

I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS ) so they can make sure your issue is logged.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB 

Thanks,

Did your issue with the lights just start within the last couple of weeks?

It seems really odd how my web portal shows what the app is supposed to be doing but the app shows what it is actually doing even though they're both set the same so I'm wondering which takes precedent over what's actually going on. Maybe I should uninstall the app and see what happens...probably won't matter but worth a try 🤔 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KachinaShadow wrote:

Did your issue with the lights just start within the last couple of weeks?

I didn't notice it right away, so I'm not certain.  But it was fairly recently.  I did report it here, and I think Arlo is looking into it.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

Last night I removed the "HOME" mode from the schedule which left the lights being "ARMED" from 6:45pm - 11:59pm and again from 12:00am - 7:00am (note that in the armed mode the south & north lights are both set to trigger the corresponding cameras). This morning at 7:00am the lights should have been "disarmed" but as you can see in these two screenshots, taken at 8:36am, the app shows the lights as still being armed (which they actually are thus triggering the corresponding cameras when they sense motion) while the web portal shows that the lights are "disarmed", which they are not.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 083739.jpgScreenshot_20240324-083654.png

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS  @JamesC  @BrookeN 

Moderators...would it be possible to take a look at this thread and weigh in on any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Paul R

evillama
Star
Star

Just realized last night this was happening after walking in front of my lights and they weren't activating. Tested motion sensors and they worked fine, but even though my house was Arm Away, they weren't turning on. 

Thankfully found this thread.

Any status on a solution? Did an update go out that affected all of us? 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@evillama - Are your lights on a schedule?

My six posts (starting at message 15 on this thread) were initially on a thread that I started and it looks like that thread was merged with this one, which seems to be a different issue than what I have so I don't know why the two threads were merged. If you look at my post just before yours, you'll see that I tagged three mods ( @ShayneS  @JamesC  @BrookeN ) but so far there has been no comments from any of them on my issue or at least letting me know why my posts were merged with these. I would have thought they'd have at least replied with some questions or encouragement like maybe they'd sent my info on to the development team, like was apparently done with the posts prior to mine, since my issue is certainly different than those and has to do with the light scheduling and not with a failure to turn on when motion is detected...my lights detect motion and turn on (along with activating cameras) just fine but at every point in the schedule, where the lights are supposed to be disarmed or go back to armed, I have to go to mode and activate the schedule (again) even though the schedule dot is filled in showing that it should be active and on the schedule.

Hey mods...can you please let me know why my posts got merged with these when they appear to be a motion issue and not a schedule issue like mine?

Thanks,
Paul R.

evillama
Star
Star

Yep, I had them activated during Arm Away (sunset) times and deactivated during Arm Home (sunrise) times. 

I'm 99.9% sure they worked properly when I upgraded all my Pro 2s and base station to only Pro 4s no more base station, and updated app.

Still not sure why they don't activate. The motion sensor icons don't light up anymore... 

Discussion stats
  • 68 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation