Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Security light - No motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 68 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
hzq
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo security light not detecting any motion events when armed for 2 days. Motion detection test shows lights are working fine

68 REPLIES 68
KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@evillama 

Have you tried deactivating and reactivating "schedule" in mode?

Do that after they should have been scheduled to be armed and working and see if they now detect motion.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@hzq - are your lights on a schedule?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KachinaShadow wrote:

@hzq - are your lights on a schedule?

FYI, mine is not, and it is not responding to motion either.

evillama
Star
Star

@KachinaShadow

@StephenB

@hzq

Are you using the new version of the Arlo app? I truly dislike the new "Routines" interface as it's very limited in functionality. My lights are armed under the "Arm Away" mode. 

1000014151.jpg

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

By new version, I'm not sure what you mean...I uninstalled the app (Android) and reinstalled it from Google Play Store and it looks and functions just like the previous version. Not sure what you mean by "routines".

If you look back at my prior posts (#15 thru 22) you'll see that my issue is with scheduling (and on both the app and web portal, which both display different modes) and not with failing to turn on with motion so, once again, I'm still not sure why my original post topic titled "SCHEDULE FOR LIGHTS QUIT WORKING" was moved into this topic on motion detection not working.

Hey mods ( @ShayneS  @JamesC  @BrookeN  ) how 'bout moving my posts (#15 thru 21) back to the original topic that I had posted them as, "SCHEDULE FOR LIGHTS QUIT WORKING", because they don't belong here...my lights detect motion just fine and it's the schedule issue that's a problem for me. It's getting very confusing having the two different issues intermingled like this.

Thanks,
Paul R

hzq
Tutor
Tutor

Just to let everyone know, motion detection works after 2 days without me doing anything.  

I am only use these lights as motion sensor with smartthings to trigger events. I don't know NEW UI or anything app related cause I only use arlo iOS app and I don't use arlo cameras. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@evillama wrote:

Are you using the new version of the Arlo app? I truly dislike the new "Routines" interface as it's very limited in functionality. My lights are armed under the "Arm Away" mode. 

I am using "Feed", but I don't have a schedule set up (and I don't use geofencing).  So automations are not a factor.

My light is included in the modes.  I can turn it on/off manually,  but it will not turn on when motion is detected.  Also, cross triggering (turning it on when a nearby camera detects motion) doesn't work.

@KachinaShadow:  This question is not really about the app version. The current app supports two different user interfaces.  One shows "Feed" and "Dashboard" as menu options, the other shows "Library".  Based on your response, you must still have "Library". New accounts use "Feed", and if you add new cameras (Gen 2, Pro 5s) or a home security system to an old account you will be migrated to "Feed".  Over time, Arlo will migrate everyone to "Feed", and drop the "Library" interface.

@hzq:  My light still isn't working.  Is your account using "Library"? 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@KachinaShadow does your app show library or feed at the bottom? If it is showing library, update the Arlo app to the newest software. And let me know if you see the same behavior with the schedules. 

The engineering team is currently working on the behavior seen with the security lights not detecting motion. I will reach out with an update as soon as possible. 

hzq
Tutor
Tutor

@KachinaShadow   not on schedule 

@StephenB  library 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN 

Hi Brooke...I actually just uninstalled & reinstalled the Arlo app last week from Google Play.
It shows version 4.12_28637 Released 02/09/2024 but it still displays "library" at the bottom.
I'll try it again and see what I get.

Paul R

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You can try this by onboarding a Pro 5 even if you don't have one. That will push the update. 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN 
That worked 😁...nice interface
I'll post on the scheduling issue tomorrow
Thanks 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN 
So much for this new app...my scheduling issue in the old app was the least of my worries compared to what I have going on (or not going on) now. Been at this for over eight hours with no success 😡
I've got 3 cameras, three lights and a doorbell and so far have them all included in the "Arm Away" mode and they are all set to what they were in the old interface. Of the three cameras only one records with motion (although another one turns on it's light but does not record)...none of the security lights sense motion and turn on and the push notifications do not work. The only thing that still operates as before is the doorbell camera but also with no push notifications.
Now I'm not even sure if I can uninstall this new interface and reinstall the old one that is available on Google play.

evillama
Star
Star

Yep, still same issue with lights not detecting motion and turning on with the new app. 

Not happy with it, and feeling less secure now... 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@evillama the security lights not turning on is still being looked into. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@KachinaShadow I have reached out to support. They are going to reach out to you and walk you through the notifications and the new user interface as well.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN Level 1 support contacted me then hooked me up with level 2 support. After cold booting the hub/base along with uninstalling & reinstalling the two Pro 3 cameras, which were sensing motion but not recording, that issue was solved.
As far as not getting any push notifications the support guy is sending that issue to the support techs to investigate and, of course, he verified that the issue of the lights not turning on and that, as you said, it was currently being worked on.
Good news is that the "Armed Away" & "Armed Home" are working which should solve the issue I had on the old interface of the "lights" schedule not working...that is as soon as they resolve the lights not turning on with motion issue.
Thanks for the help on everything, you're the best 😊
Paul R.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@KachinaShadow I am so happy to hear that you was able to get it working as expected. As soon as I have an update about the motion on the security lights I will reach out and provide an update. 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN  Here's something that you might pass along to the support team about not getting push notifications after installing the new interface.
At 12:10 today I started, just out of the blue, getting push notifications again and shortly after I realized that I had muted the push notifications for 24 hrs. yesterday at around 12:10 on the old interface so even though the new interface showed the "mute notifications" as being off they were still muted by the 24 hr. setting that I activated yesterday on the old interface. My guess is that if I had gone into the new interface and set "mute notifications" to any amount of time and then back to "off" that would have allowed notifications.
Problem solved! 😁
Paul R.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Awesome, thank you for the feedback. 

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN 
I'm very disappointed today...
Last night at 11:30 I was going through my setup with the new interface and everything seemed to be working just great (other than the known issue with the lights) then at 4:30 this morning I picked up my phone to check a camera and found that the OLD INTERFACE was now back on my phone. It not only has the same "scheduling" issue with the lights, which prompted the change to the new interface, but it is now missing all of the rules that I had set for activating other devices from each other, all of the camera recording times have been reset from "fixed time" to "until activity stops", all of the light times reset to 40 seconds and now "geofencing" is missing from the app although it still shows as a mode on the web portal which, as you know, can only be accessed from the phone app.
Things were just coming together after installing the new interface and waiting for the motion issue with the lights to be solved and now I'm worse off than I was when I was on the old interface before with only the scheduling issue.
Why did this happen? I have spent so much time in the past two days on this and now have to spend more time only to end up with the old portal that has the same scheduling issue as before, that is if I can get geofencing back.
So, tell me what I should do...uninstall the old interface & reinstall it from Google play and hope that the geofencing comes back (along with setting up all of the additional rules again) or do I, once again, force the update of the new interface and then spend even more time setting it up again.
I'm really at a loss here.
Paul R.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The old interface can not come back once you are on the new user interface. Can you send a screenshot of what you are seeing?

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN 
I know what you're saying and I thought the same thing but it reverted back sometime between 11:30 pm and 4:30 am while I was asleep.
Here's four screenshots...one of the web portal from the PC and three of the app on my Android phone...I hope you can see them right away.Screenshot 2024-04-03 083716.jpgScreenshot_20240403-083755.pngScreenshot_20240403-083815.pngScreenshot_20240403-083830.png

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@BrookeN 

I was so busy with this issue this morning that I hadn't checked my email yet. When I did, I found two emails from Brian at Arlo sent at 3:54 am & 3:56 am. Here's three screenshots...two are the top & bottom half of the first email the other is just the bottom half of the second.Screenshot 2024-04-03 085756.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-03 085831.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-03 085955.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KachinaShadow wrote:

@BrookeN 

I was so busy with this issue this morning that I hadn't checked my email yet. When I did, I found two emails from Brian at Arlo sent at 3:54 am & 3:56 am. Here's three screenshots...two are the top & bottom half of the first email the other is just the bottom half of the second.

As you see in the emails, support can switch you back to Library - and did that in your case.

You could of course migrate back to Feed if you want to do that.  Or you could reach out to support, and ask why they switched you back.

Discussion stats
  • 68 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation