Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JpoC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there.  My security lights are not turning on.

1. I have set them up exactly the way they should be.

2. They are in close range of the bridge (each light status even says they are connected)

3. I tested using the motion test (yellow light if detecting motion) and they are super sensitive and see everything.

4. When I save all my settings and manually turn on and off the lights once, the motion on the lights works great for a bit.  I'll walk around and they turn on for the pre-determined time I have set with no issues. 

5. By the second night, they don't work anymore.

I will have to go in and manually turn them on and off again for them to maybe start working again.  

What's the story here?  Pretty expensive system to not do what it's supposed to do...turn on a light.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JpoC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to a very responsive technical support team within a day or two after my post, Netgear emailed me privately (after reading my post) and loaded a trial firmware onto my lights, and now the work flawlessly!  I'm really impressed with the level of support.  It's been 3 days with no issues.  (Usually they would only work for like 1-12 hours with out having to power cycle the bridge).  Hopefully they get through their trial and approvals quickly to load this onto every light.

Good work, Netgear.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If this is with all the lights, it sounds like it may be the bridge. Try unplugging it to get it to see if that helps. Also, verify that all firmware is up to date.

JpoC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can try rebooting the bridge.  I have not done that yet.  I don't see anywhere to update the firmware if I wanted to.  It shows me what firmware version is on there, but no option to "check for updates" or anything.  

Isn't the bridge just used for the "co-mingling" of the camera system and the lights?  Shouldn't the lights turn on with motion regardless of connection to the bridge?  I'll reboot it.  The lights are connected to it and it's only like 20 feet away.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

AFAIK, the bridge is also the place where your modes/rules reside, causing the lights to operate according to them. If it's confused somehow the restart should clear things up.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JpoC,

Did restarting the bridge help? Also, you can check to see if you have the latest firmware here: Release Notes – Arlo Bridge and Lights – 22nd June 2018

JamesC

JpoC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey there.  I did a soft reset with the app.  It worked last night while taking the trash out.  Usually it does for 24 hours. Ill test again tonight. If it works tonight, id safely say that was the fix.  Thank you, and ill update the post in the next day or so.

JpoC
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

How do you manually update firmware?  It shows me the firmware but no option to manuqlly upgrade if needed.

Lights are on FW 3.2.35

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your lghts are up to date. When you check the firmware version, you would see a notification if there was an update. The only way to attempt an update would be to restart the bridge and/or reinsert the light battery.

You can always check what the latest version is by looking in the Release Notes section here.

JpoC
Aspirant
Aspirant
This did not solve my issue. Lights are not turning on again... 24 hours later. Ugh.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JpoC,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this issue.

JamesC

JpoC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to a very responsive technical support team within a day or two after my post, Netgear emailed me privately (after reading my post) and loaded a trial firmware onto my lights, and now the work flawlessly!  I'm really impressed with the level of support.  It's been 3 days with no issues.  (Usually they would only work for like 1-12 hours with out having to power cycle the bridge).  Hopefully they get through their trial and approvals quickly to load this onto every light.

Good work, Netgear.

boowilson2018
Aspirant
Aspirant

I setup the security lights yesterday created a mode to arm them from 7:30 till 10 at night, i expected them to go on at that time, i want them to go on for 2 hours a night on there own. How can I make this happen? This is a pretty expensive system if it does not work like this. 

Thanks,

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

2 things:

1) These are battery-operated lights. You can't possibly expect them to turn on for hours.

2) There's also an ambient light sensor in these so if there's "sufficient" light where the light is installed they won't turn on. This is again du to the battery-operated nature.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation