Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
BiggieSmalls87
Initiate
Initiate
Recently bought a security light to add to my 3 camera Arlo Pro setup.

Had zero issues installing those a while back but this light is something else.

Currently I scan the QR code, plug in the bridge, it is purple, then blinking Amber. Following the directions I hold the sync button til it flashes blue, at which point I wait.

There is the problem, it never discovers anything, it just says to try again or hard reset (which I've tried four times). Is this portion supposed to find my phone or the wifi router? The directions don't specify so I have no idea whether to troubleshoot the router or my Bluetooth on my phone.

Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BiggieSmalls87,

It sounds like you're at the point where the phone needs to communicate with the bridge so you can enter your network information. What model is the mobile device you're using to try and add the lights?

JamesC

penarlpr008
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. While the Arlo bridge blinks blue, my Android device cannot connect to it over Bluetooth during setup. I tried with 3 different Android devices, and none can connect to the Arlo bridge:

Device 1: stock Android 9.0

Device 2: stock Android 7.1

Device 3: Android 7.1 (Amazon Kindle Fire)

I got a replacement Arlo bridge, and it has the same problem -- no Android device can connect to the bridge over Bluetooth during setup.

I went into the Android Bluetooth settings and tried to connect manually to ABB1000 while the bridge's blue light is blinking. Android just says "Can't communicate with ABB1000."

I don't have an iPhone to test with. I'm open to any ideas, thanks.

Xichlo
Luminary
Luminary

Check your Router Acess setting, might be set to block new device, see if it shows on blocked list

AlanSmitheeJun
Tutor
Tutor

I had massive problems when trying to install the Arlo Bridge. It did not connect to my WiFi. After calming down a bit ( 😉 ) I took a glance at my router (Netgear Nighthawk X6) settings and changed the 2.4 GHz band settings from upto 600Mbit to just 54MBit and made the SSID to be broadcast. Then it instantly got connected and the rest was easy as it should be.

The point is: they tell you to use 2.4Ghz. But their own routers have more specific features which are not mentioned. And not any user is able to find these issues.

TCC21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having problems trying to get my Arlo security light to connect with the bridge.  It finds the bridge but always fails to connect, yes I am broadcasting a 2.4 signal.  I have tried resetting the bridge to default, I have tried multiple different devices to see if that mattered to pair the light with but it always keeps failing.  This is an extremely fustrating device that was given to me as a gift and is now outside of it's return period to send back.  I have seen others have had this problem in another thread and it says it was resolved with some kind of back end software update.  But if I can't get the device to connect to the internet how can it update?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TCC21,

What error message are you seeing that indicates the bridge is failing to connect. Can you provide a screenshot?

JamesC

AlanSmitheeJun
Tutor
Tutor

After I resetted the device a few times I was frustrated as well. As you can see from my description I made it then by changing the settings of my WLAN. It's not only 2.4 GHz but also the speed. Please check your router settings thoroughly. You should have no more than 54MBit  speed enabled and the SSID must be visible. Since I configured one of my WLANs that way and I started the setup of the bridge it immediately worked as designed. I myself am a IT professional in the network department of a company that runs data centers world wide. So if you do not get it fixed yourself try to get help from a friend with a nerdy background.

A remark towards Arlo:

From a technical and a customer perspective this behaviour is extremely poor. Such a product - pretending easy installation and high usability - should not come with such limitations. And Arlo does not seem to seriously take care of these problems. Otherwise we as customers would find useful help and guidance.  This is not how we want to be treated. If you go on like this I guarantee that your competitors through you out of the game.

TCC21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a ubnt security gateway with multiple access points.  I have disabled ipv6 settings, already tried 2g data rate control with a max of 54 Mbps, tried to filter the mac address directly to see if I could connect.  Spent over 2 hours on the phone with tech support last night, who's only solution was to send me a replacement.  I have been trying to scour the forums and see what other solutions have worked for everybody without any luck.  I am hoping I just got a bad lemon because if the replacement they send me still can't connect then I don't know what to do besides just return the thing back.

AlanSmitheeJun
Tutor
Tutor

I understand. Quite embarassing 😞

What I forgot to mention: my security setting is WPA2-PSK [AES]...

Good Luck, Pal!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
My router is set to use 750Mbps for the 2.4GHz band and have no problems. I have found that I need to limit the max speed on the high frequency 5GHz band to make most things work. The low frequency 5GHz band is running wide open.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@TCC21 wrote:

I have a ubnt security gateway with multiple access points.  I have disabled ipv6 settings, already tried 2g data rate control with a max of 54 Mbps, tried to filter the mac address directly to see if I could connect.  Spent over 2 hours on the phone with tech support last night, who's only solution was to send me a replacement.  I have been trying to scour the forums and see what other solutions have worked for everybody without any luck.  I am hoping I just got a bad lemon because if the replacement they send me still can't connect then I don't know what to do besides just return the thing back.

I had setup isses with two Unifi access points.  Temporarily unplug all but one of your Unifi access points then setup your bridge. It should work.  You can plug the rest of the APs back in after the bridge is setup.

greglee20
Star
Star

Today recieved my ARLO security lights with bridge what should be simple has become a nightmare the Bridge refuses to connect to my Bt hub 5 i have spent 3 hours getting no where fast .Rang Arlo this afternoon could hardly understand the man at the other end all he said is just sent back as sounds like its broken he asked not one sensible question .I cant believe how arlo are behaving i have spent a small fortune on security cameras and now these rubbish lights .Has any one got a suggestion on how i can connect the bridge to my hub so its reconized or should i just send it back to Amazon for a refund ..Then i can sell my arlo camaras and buy a set up that works thanks in advance .

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

greglee20,

I'd like to take a closer look at your Arlo support case. Do you have a case number I can reference? If so, please send me a private message with your email address and the case number and I will escalate accordingly.

What LED behavior are you seeing on the bridge when going through the process (try to be specific, unlit, lit, color, blinking pattern, etc.)

JamesC

greglee20
Star
Star

Hi james the guy i spoke to took none of my details i explained i just got the two separate lights this morning spent three hours trying to set one up told him all i had done never case me a case number was so rude all he kept saying was sounds faulty send it back .I as so annoyed how i was treated by the ARLO person it was also so hard understanding him .I tried again tonight to set one up but the bridge unit refuses to connect to my BT hub 5 i have the arlo cameras all working fine and everything else like my amazon bits my samsung bits all working fine .I have seen lots of people saying there Bridge unit will not connect to there hubs so there seems to be a big issue with no fix .Is there a way to sort this or should i just send back my two light sets back to Amazon for a refund thanks greg .What i have been getting after i scan the bridge barcode i turn on my iphone bluetooth then plug the bridge into the sock its purple i press it goes flashing orange then press app then press the bridge turns flashing blue the iphone then says found bridge get my hub details up press connect enter my password for the bt hub then get the message cant connect probally have tried over 20 times today .

greglee20
Star
Star

After nearly a Hour today with ARLO support i have got my Bridge working as well as my Arlo lights was a long complicated process but well worth the effort ..

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

greglee20,

Sorry to hear it was a painful experience. Do you mind sharing with the community what resolved the issue so others might benefit from the solution?

Thanks,

JamesC

greglee20
Star
Star

Hi James of course i will help .So first thing i done was turn off Bt hub firewall then reset my iphone internet connection re inputting the wep password .Also any one using VPN turn it off totally then start the connection process all should work well remember when the bridge gets plugged in the purple light is it booting up so do touch it till its flashing orange then follow through with iphone also make sure Bluetooth is on before you scan the bridge qr code.

Fuego99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also experiencing Bridge connecting to Router issue during initial setup. After trying changing pretty much every parms possible in my TP-Link AC3200 Router to no avail, about to give up, tried the good old router "Reboot"... and all work fine. 

greglee20
Star
Star

I found that on the Bt hub disabling the firewall for set up sorted the issue as the second bridge i have set up was done in under  10 minutes ..

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation