VMB4540 or VMB5000 Smart Hub which to buy

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Margrave
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 1 Pro 2 and 4 Pro 4 cameras, now connected to VMB4000.  I would like to upgrade to either the VMB4540 or VMB500 as I would like to be able to access any motion a camera picks up on my iPhone while traveling.  I think I understand I need a new smart hub.  and I should be able yo do port forwarding I believe with the VMB4540 without a great deal of hassle.  To be honest I have tried to read everything I can but am confused as to which unite to buy and would be easiest to work.  I think I just read there is a iOS issue using port forwarding.  Any help or suggestions I would be most grateful.

Margrave 

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Margrave wrote:

I have 1 Pro 2 and 4 Pro 4 cameras, now connected to VMB4000.  I would like to upgrade to either the VMB4540 or VMB5000  To be honest I have tried to read everything I can but am confused as to which unite to buy and would be easiest to work.

The VMB4540

• supports usb storage
  • creates a 2.4 ghz wifi network for the cameras

The VMB5000

• supports microSD storage
  • creates a 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wifi network for the cameras

Your Pro 2 and Pro 4 cameras are 2.4 ghz only, so they cannot take advantage of the 5 ghz wifi in the VMB5000.  So the only spec difference that matters to you right now is whether you want to pay extra to get a microSD slot instead of a USB connector.

Note that 5 ghz wifi has less range than 2.4 ghz, so even if you had a dual-band camera (like the Ultra or Pro 5s), you would still likely be using 2.4 ghz for your outdoor cameras.

@Margrave wrote:

I think I just read there is a iOS issue using port forwarding.  

Correct.  That was first reported here about 6 weeks ago.  Arlo has not said when they will fix it.

@Margrave wrote:

I should be able yo do port forwarding I believe with the VMB4540 without a great deal of hassle.  

A home VPN is another option, although it can be more difficult to set up.  My Netgear Orbi router has OpenVPN built in, and that is what I use instead of port forwarding.  (BTW, I use an iPhone, so the home vpn approach is not affected by the port forwarding bug).

Either way, remote access isn't possible with some internet service providers.  T-mobile broadband internet is one, as they do not support inbound connections to your router - so home vpn and port forwarding can't be used with their broadband router.  I think other US mobile broadband services have the same issue.  Some landline providers are now using a technology called CGNAT which also doesn't support inbound connections.  So you might want to check if port forwarding works with your current ISP.  You can forward a port to a PC (say 54321), and then use a port check tool like https://canyouseeme.org/ to confirm that the port is open.

If you are wanting to drop your subscription, then there are some limitations to local storage that you should be aware of:

• recordings are only available in the app - not my.arlo.com
  • recordings are only available from the primary account - not friend accounts
  • there are no thumbnails, so recordings need to be downloaded to your phone to view anything
  • you cannot make manual recordings or take snapshots.

Of course you'd still get cloud recordings from your Pro 2 (in addition to local recordings).  There is no free cloud recording for the Pro 4 (or any currently sold Arlo camera), so if you drop the subscription you'd only be able to use local recordings for those cameras.