Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 48 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

My standby mode is set with motion detected and audio (where applicable) disabled yet when in standby mode the camera are detecting motion and sending alert to Arlo App on my phone.

This is something new and started a day ago - up until now when in standby mode there was no detection and no video capture.

This is very frustrating and I am not sure if it's coupled to my subscription expiring  - which it shouldn't be.

For now I have to resort to switching cameras off.

Anyone else experiencing this?

48 REPLIES 48
colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Seeing as I re-activated my subscription to see if that made a change and it did - now the rules are being followed I am unable to test the suggestion by prior user to remove rules for devices you want 'de-activated' in standby mode. According to them if a rule doesn't exist for a camera it won't detect and alert but I am unable to test this until my subscription expires.

I am convinced this is all due to changes tied to subscriptions.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact support. Within the app on your mobile device click on the silhouette on the top left ~ support center ~ the device that you are needing assistance with then choose the issue.

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN thanks for your response. Firstly, if subscription is not current then the support you mention is really not worth much - it covers basic items very well but what I assume is a AI chat Bot is lacking in the "I" department.

Unfortunately (and understandably) without a subscription there is not option to place a phone call and only selection of pre-defined issues and the chat bot.

Since renewing my subscription I no longer have the problem BUT other folks are reporting the same issue with their subscription expiring. I specifically chose Arlo as they told me that they won't hold folks hostage and no subscription won't effect device operation - disabling in standby mode is basic device operation which ALWAYS worked without subscription.

Honestly I am getting tired of not being heard - Arlo changed something and this is impacting us.

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ianthewong did you try suggestion mentioned back in reply #15? If I had seen this before re-enabling my subscription I would have tried it.

I don't feel this is a decent solution as if detection disabled is selected in a rule then it should be honored.

@jguerdat is suggesting that you should try deleting all the "empty" rules for cameras in the standby mode, and see if that makes any difference.  FWIW, I think it is a good next step.

ianthewong
Initiate
Initiate

Originally had standby mode with no rules, yet it still kept detecting motion and sending notifications of such. So have tried with rules with no actions. but again, still keeps sending notifications of motion -> ie no change

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks @ianthewong , that doesn't surprise me.

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Saga continues.

After trying all the various changes above which I could not verify at the time as I had reinstated my subscription which magically made the issue go away.

I can now confirm that with expired subscription the issue is BACK and cameras detect movement where with subscription enabled they don't.

WHAT A COP_OUT to essentially not offer any support for non-subscribers!

Anne_Onymous
Initiate
Initiate

Saga continues also for other users. Same problem: after not renewing a subscription, all my cameras suddenly remained active and kept on sending me notifications, even in standby mode. After speaking to the Arlo support, they still seem unaware of this issue, and insisted it was only a coincidence.

BUT, let's focus on solutions! The Arlo support guy gave me a good recommendation: do a factory reset on each one of your cameras (for a Pro 4, press the synch button for 15 seconds). This disconnects them, so you will need to add them again.

EXTRA RECOMMENDATION: make sure the batteries are FULLY CHARGED. The cameras don't seem to be able to connect with 50% battery! I wasted 2h because the app just couldn't "find" 2 of my cameras; after recharging them 100%, both connected perfectly.

Hope it solves the issue for other people too. 

GAROSE
Tutor
Tutor

YES BEYOND FRUSTRATED, THIS PRODUCT AND ITS SUPPORT HAS SOME SERIOUS FLAWS!!!!!

GAROSE
Tutor
Tutor

MY ONLY SOLUTION AFTER OVER AN HOUR WORKING ON IT...

THROW IT AGAINST THE GROUND, IT'LL STOP!!!

GAROSE
Tutor
Tutor

YOU ARE CORRECT, GARBAGE PRODUCT

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

I get s/w - I do hardware and software for a living and understand sh#t happens, but not listening and acknowledging issue is a fundamental flaw in the organization.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have passed this information onto our development team to be looked into. As soon as there is an update I will reach out to the community. 

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you.  I am happy to chat with them if they are interested.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is it also detecting the audio or only the motion?

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't know as I have never used the audio detection - your dev team should easily be able to replicate the issue as many folks who have expired subscriptions are having this problem. Maybe other can also add comment.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@colinbes looking  into this it doesn't appear any motion has been triggered for the last 30 days. Is the cameras associated with the email address the community account was set up with?

@GAROSE looking into your account it appears that all motion has been triggered in Arm Away mode. There was no motion triggers in stand by. I will need screenshots of what you are seeing. 

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

That is correct but that doesn't mean it is right. The reason why they are not triggering is that they are not added to the list of devices.

When I pay for subscription I can add camera to list of devices and for Standby mode and am able to disable motion detection and the system honors this setting. BUT if there is no current service subscription in place then it doesn't honor this setting (device rules -> motion detected ON/OFF) and I have to clear all settings which is silly.

This all started happening after one of the updates.

Sad that this is asked again as it is all described by myself and many others in the community.

Franz10000
Aspirant
Aspirant

So this is an extremely aggravating issue for numerous people, including myself, who have paid for the cameras and a subscription. This isn’t a question of “user error” and looking at the string here its been months with no resolution from arlo. Personally I’d like a resolution or my money back for the cameras and the subscription.

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Franz10000 I totally agree with you and that full refund would be my choice as well. 

I have seen nothing indicating that the issue is even acknowledged. I am glad to see some responses but all responses seem to suggest no error on their side. 

I’d also be willing for Arlo to give me a temporary week subscription where I’ll set cameras up and have them confirm it’s correct and then with me making no changes (which I suspect they can confirm) have them cancel subscription and see the error arise. 

Franz10000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a subscription and still getting the problem. 

I bought Arlo because it was american and I expected a reliable product, my question to the Arlo rep is why isn't this being elevated? How do customers actually speak to someone there that won't just give us lip service?

I'm saying this from my home in Boston while watching my phone go off with alerts from my home in Vermont. ie, I'm just getting more and more ticked off.

colinbes
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Franz10000 @Have you tried deleting all the device rules in the standby mode settings? I don’t agree that this should be what it takes but that did work for me (using iOS app)

Franz10000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not tried that yet, thanks for the tip

Sabby
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issues.

After my subscription expired, both my cameras (PRO4) started detecting motions in standby and sending notifications.

Would be good to have some resolution, I am also on the verge of giving up on Arlo.

Will try the factory reset today as suggested