Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Today I "upgraded" from the old app to the new "Arlo Secure" app, and I no longer have the ability to setup schedules where different sets of devices are active. 

As far as I can tell, you can now *ONLY* have 3 different configurations of which cameras are active, defined the the 3 modes: Away, Home, Standby.  You can switch Modes on a schedule, but you cannot add Modes, or have different devices be activate/inactive on a schedule within a Mode.

In the previous app, you could setup an arbitrary number of modes, and each base station/hub could switch between then on a schedule.  So for example, I could have some cameras active all day, and some cameras only active at night.  I ultimately used this to have 4 different configurations. For example, say I have 4 devices.

- Armed: all devices active [1,2,3,4]

- Disarmed: all devices inactive []

- Custom: on a schedule, switched between 2 additional configurations. during the day a small set [1], and at night a larger set [1,2]

This does not appear to be possible in the new app. In the new app, because I only have 3 "modes", I can only have:

- Away: all devices active

- Home: some devices active

- Standby: no devices active

There is no way to have two different sets of "some devices active". 

What's even more frustrating is the web page about the new app claims that I can do what I need to, but this is apparently incorrect.  Check this page:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

It says: " "Each Mode is fully customizable based on the level of detection you want. You might want to set one Mode in which some motion sensors and cameras are active, but others are not. For example, when you are sleeping, your exterior cameras can be activated based on the selected Mode, but your interior cameras will be inactive.""

This is actually not true, since you cannot add "Modes". I suppose I could maybe hijack the "Standby" mode

- Away = all cameras [1,2,3,4]

- Home = some cameras [1,2]

- Standby = fewer cameras [1]

But then I have no way to disable all cameras.

This seems like a design oversight, but perhaps I'm missing something. I would appreciate anyone clarifying where I can have more than 3 different sets of which cameras are active.

77 REPLIES 77
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@grillmaster13 wrote:

In the new app, because I only have 3 "modes", I can only have:

- Away: all devices active

- Home: some devices active

- Standby: no devices active

FWIW, I agree that the lack of custom modes is a big problem.

I do want to clarify the bit above - the three built-in modes can all be edited.  So you can (for example) modify Standby to arm some devices if you like.  Though as you point out further down in your post, once you do that, you can't disarm all cameras.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, the only solution to my problem that I am aware of is as follows.

- Away: all active

- Home:  most cameras active  (equivalent to my previous "Night time" mode)

- Standby: some cameras active (equivalent to my previous "Day time" mode)

Then, as you say, then I don't have a mode to disable all cameras.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is there a way to escalate a support case?  I've opened a support case, and spoken to two people on the phone, and all the support team does is send me links to KB articles that don't actually work - even after I've gotten them to acknowledge that the current version of the app will not allow me to schedule my cameras.

The first problem is that when I try to "Add Schedule" in the new app, it actually doesn't work. No schedule is ever added. So I can't even schedule with the limited "3 modes".  

The second problem is that I am limited to just 3 modes, so can't have a Day vs Night schedule (for example). I found an interesting comment in one of the KB articles:

"This article is for the Arlo Secure App experience with Arm and Disarm. If you have the Arlo Secure App experience with Arm Away, Arm Home, and Standby, please visit: How do I add a Schedule Automation to my Arlo system?"

I was force switched to the "Arlo Secure App experience with Arm Away, Arm Home, and Standby,". As has been presented above, this experience does not allow effectively creating Day vs Night schedules (for example) since there are only 3 modes.

I wonder if I could somehow switch to the "Arlo Secure App experience with Arm and Disarm."  then I would have access to the ability to "schedule" custom modes.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may be missing the Save on at least 2 screens (one after you select an action and another to actually save the schedule. Can you verify you are hitting all available? I have 2 schedules (one to change mode at night and a second to change mode in the morning) that work fine. I also just created a new test schedule with no problems. Detail exactly what you want your schedule to be, with screenshots if needed.

I have exactly what you're after - day and night schedules. While you can't create nor rename modes, you can use all 3 as you wish. I happen to use Arm Away for night and Arm Home for the day but you can also use Standby as you wish, too - the name means nothing relative to how you can set it up.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

ARLO APP BUGS

I identified several reproducible bugs which were preventing me from creating schedules:

1) Mobile: if you click "Save" before clicking "Test Automation", it does NOT save. The screen goes away, but the schedule will not appear. I can repro this 100%.

2) Mobile and Desktop: if you set the When to "Sunrise" or "Sunset", it will NOT save, even if you click "Test Automation".  I can repro this 100%. On Desktop it just "spins" and blocks the UI as I noted previously.

3) After my "Day" schedule ran once, it switched to "Disabled". I could not see a way to re-enable it, nor could I see a setting to prevent it from getting disabled after running.  I have not tried to repro this yet.

I am using Version 4.1.2_2 of the app.

REPORTING BUGS

How do I report bugs? I've tried to report bugs in the past through the support case system, but the person who responds to the ticket just assumed I was asking how to do something, ignored the fact that I reported a bug and sent me KB articles.

DAY AND NIGHT SCHEDULES

>>>I have exactly what you're after - day and night schedules. While you can't create nor rename modes, you can use all 3 as you wish. I happen to use Arm Away for night and Arm Home for the day but you can also use Standby as you wish, too - the name means nothing relative to how you can set it up.<<<

You are correct, and my workaround is to have "Arm Away" for everything, "Arm Home" for Night and "Standby" for Day. However, that is just 3 modes. I need a 4th mode to deactivate all cameras, which the new app does not allow, but the previous did.  As a workaround, when I need that, I am having to manually shut off each camera one by one, which is a hassle.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't use Sunrise and Sunset but that may be the issue. Have you tried using a time for the schedule instead?

I have never seen Disabled nor a way to possibly change that in any way so you may have an issue in your account itself. Deleting the account and starting fresh may be painful but could solve the issues.

@JamesC or @ShayneS may be able to help, too - PM them.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

SUNRISE/SUNSET

Yes, I should have been more clear - using a specific time WORKS, so I do have a workaround and am able to proceed with schedules. However, either of the two bugs I noted will prevent it from working without telling you that it failed.

DISABLED SCHEDULE BUG

>>>I have never seen Disabled nor a way to possibly change that in any way so you may have an issue in your account itself. Deleting the account and starting fresh may be painful but could solve the issues.<<<

Ok. I will see if it happens again.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a new Android app version out - 4.2.1. Update the app and see if that helps.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just tried the new app. On desktop it says version 4.2.0_4 released 3/3 and on Android it says 4.2.1_28524 released 3/3. It seems to only fix one of the issues.

TEST AUTOMATION BUG

This is fixed.

SUNRISE/SUNSET BUG

Not Fixed. Still can repro 100%

DESKTOP ADD SCHEDULE BUG

Not fixed. Still can repro 100%. Maybe since it is an older version.

DISABLED SCHEDULE

Actually only a display bug, the scheduled item does seem to still work. After a schedule runs, the schedule will appear as "Disabled" if it is not enabled for the current mode. It does not do this when you first create the schedule.

CREATE CREATE DAY/NIGHT SCHEDULES

This design limitation is still present. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @grillmaster13 

Thanks for the feedback and detailed info. Do you mind reiterating the remaining issues still present. I have already escalated this to the appropriate teams, I want to make sure I detailed it correctly. 

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @ShayneS ,

Thanks!

Here are the two issues I have not seen resolved.

BUG - SUNRISE/SUNSET

If you Add Schedule, set WHEN to Sunrise or Sunset, then Save, it will not create the schedule

- Desktop on Chrome: the UI will spin indefinitely. Last tested 4.2.1_1

- Android: it will appear to work, but no Schedule is created. Last tested 4.2.1_28524

DESIGN FLAW -  CAMERA SCHEDULING LIMITATIONS

I can no longer schedule when cameras are activated/deactivated with enough granularity, so that I can have a Day/Night schedule. Until a week ago, I the old app with "Arm, Disarm". Now I am in the new Arlo Secure app, which is limited to 3 different configurations or "Modes" (Arm Away, Home, and Standby).  At the minimum, I need 4 configurations:

- All Armed (Away)

- Most Armed (Night)

- Some Armed (Day)

- None Armed (Deactivated)

In the "Arm, Disarm" app, you could create new configurations and schedule switching between them. so I could easily schedule my cameras in arbitrary ways. In the new app, you actually cannot schedule cameras. You can configure which cameras are active in your 3 Modes, and you can Change Modes on a Schedule - that's it.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

The above link is an explanation of scheduling in the new 3 Mode app. It has an interesting paragraph at the top: "This article is for the Arlo Secure App experience with Arm Away, Arm Home, and Standby. If you have the Arlo Secure App experience with Arm or Disarm, please visit: About Arlo Modes and Rules"

I see three ways for me to be able to actually schedule my cameras:

A) Arlo adds the ability to add custom modes to the new app

B) Arlo adds "Actions" to disable/enable Rules (so I can enable/disable cameras on a schedule)

C) I am given a way to switch to the "Arm, Disarm" version 

I have an open support case but Arlo support stopped answering. Originally, they were sending me links to KB articles that were for the old app (which obviously does not work for me). I even spoke with someone on the phone who clearly understood the issue, said "I will email you a solution", and then following the call sent me the above link. They haven't responded since then.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Perfect thanks, I will keep this thread updated as soon as I receive more info. 

TR2
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same requirement with modes, any progress?

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS: I was just about to ping the thread myself. I couldn't get anywhere with Arlo support. They don't understand the issue, and are convinced they can solve it by linking to KB articles, so I couldn't get them to pass along a request to the product team.

My setup right now is:

- Away = arm all

- Home = the "Night" schedule, which arms most

- Standby = the "Day" schedule, which arms some

This works 90% of the time. The problem is that there are situations where I need to "Disable All" (e.g. people working around where the cameras are). Because I have no way to do that, I am spammed with notifications and the battery probably drains faster.   As noted earlier in the thread, this was possible with the previous app design.  Meantime, my workaround (if I really need to) is to manually individually shut off each camera.

Even just adding a 4th fixed mode would be a big improvement.

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS Hi, any chance there are some updates on this?  Thank you!

doncaruana
Guide
Guide

Some of you might want to try this "hack" I just posted to get different "modes". Basically you can just turn down the sensitivity all the way with a routine. It's better than nothing, which seems to be what we are getting...

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Secure/If-we-can-t-have-custom-modes-can-we-have-some-better-rout...

test2
Apprentice
Apprentice

This original post was from March. It’s now August. I have 20+ Arlo go 2 cameras. I have no ability to set different cameras on different schedules. I have gone rounds with tech-support, and they have finally acknowledge the problem I’m experiencing when I force them to try to re-create schedules with different cameras and they can’t do it. 

just a recap of the issue, I have four cameras. Two of those cameras I want to arm at 9 PM and disarm at 5 AM. The other two cameras I want to arm at 11 PM and all of them disarm at 5 AM. In order to arm a camera I have to set the schedule and have the action be to go into armed mode. The problem, though, is it doesn’t ask me which cameras I want to arm. So as a result, it will arm all of my cameras at one time, regardless of the schedule. I run into the same problem when I want the cameras to disarm. I’ll create a schedule and set the mode to change to standby at 5 AM, but it doesn’t ask me which cameras I want to go onto standby. It just puts all of them in standby. 

i can’t believe after this long this problem is still persisting. How is this not fixed yet?

UnsaltedState
Initiate
Initiate

This is absolute crap with the "new" app! I was forced to update today to install a new wired camera, and now all my schedules are gone.

As pointed out, I have no way to schedule different groups of cameras at different times.

I work in software - this is a complete flop of product ownership and the whole dev process. How can this still be a problem???

grillmaster13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unfortunately, Arlo technical support and forums provide no path to continuous improvement, or for feedback to get back to whatever team is in charge of the software. I've tried to escalate, but that is an exercise is frustration as you battle against people who are trained to believe that ALL customer problems can be solved by their script and they will you will find yourself going in circles, so I've given up. 

A couple of times there was a representative who said they would try to help, but you never hear back from them. It's not clear if they just run into the same wall and give up as well, or are simply paying lip service.

test2
Apprentice
Apprentice

My theory is less about this being an accident by the Netgear people and more about it being a cash grab. They created these "sites," which makes it the only way you can have different cameras on different schedules. However, when you create a site it has to have its own subscription plan. They must have found people where paying for multiple cameras on one account then having them at different locations and they found an opportunity to get more money out of people by limiting the ability to schedule. It's miserably misleading for people who were able to easily schedule all of their cameras on their account as they saw fit.

test2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've gone rounds with tech support as well. To be honest, they don't know what they're doing and when I present them with the task of creating different schedules with different cameras they can't do it. From there they claim their escalating and they will get back to me and I will never hear from them again. 

test2
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS where are you at with this? 

Aiku1337
Star
Star

I recently upgraded to the new Arlo UI with automations. I was trying to set up geofencing with specific arrive/leave devices. I had to remove them because I had like 15 devices with non descript names like "iPhone" or older devices that I knew I didn't have anymore. I've gone back and logged in with my current devices and added them as trusted devices.

When I go to set up an arrive/leave automation the only option I have now is when "Anyone arrives", no longer seeing "when specific people arrive". Any assistance would be appreciated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Edit your GF automation and click on Specific People Arrive. Click on Edit at the top and remove old devices. Be sure to save the edited automation.

2) When trying to set up Leave, click on Specific People Arrive and choose from the People Leave section at the bottom to switch the automation from Arrive to Leave.