Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Remove Orphaned Devices from Arlo Secure App?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
masterbeat
Guide
Guide

Arlo forced the app update to Arlo Secure on me, and now I'm trying to set up Geofencing rules with Arrive/Leave automations.  The problem is the "specific people" that appear is an insane list of 10 devices (old computers, ipads and phones) that i've had as 'trusted devices' with Arlo from being an Arlo customer for 10+ years (literally since the tiny little gray cameras came out).  It seems this part of the app is grabbing every old authenticated device (app, browser, etc) that was authorized to Arlo apps over the year and showing them.

Because of that, there are 7 different devices labeled iPhone!  Which one would be my current iPhone?  This is a disaster, and I can't find anywhere in Secure app or web interface to control, manage or delete these 'geofence' "people" devices...

I want to setup Geofencing for just when MY iphone comes and goes and I don't want to see every device that has had access to Arlo for the past 10 years here...

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This may help:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062827/How-do-I-add-and-manage-multiple-users-for-Arrive-Leave-Automations-Ap...

Basically, go to Routines, Automations, one of your geofencing automations or create a new one, click on Specific People Arrive/Leave, and then Edit. You can remove old devices there.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi 

I’m having the same issue since I ‘upgraded’ to the new ‘feed’ UI.  I now see every device that I  or anyone I share my system have ever used with Arlo.  This includes old devices from 5 years ago.  Worse than that it appears to have hit a limit of 20 devices and new devices I install the app on do not show up in the list.  That combined with there being no way that I can see of deleting old/obsolete devices has rendered geofencing usable for me.

The method listed in the previous post does not work, there is no way of removing old devices completely from that screen that I can see.

is there any way around this please or is it a bug?

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was able to remove all old devices successfully but closing the app and reopening it shows them still there. So, the process works but doesn't actually save. @JamesC , @ShayneS 

However, I then tried the web client (my.arlo.com) which was successful in not only removing the old devices but also actually saved it as verified by then looking at the available devices in the app.

Finally, I'm using the Android app so can't comment on how the iOS version may or may not work.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jguerdat  Thanks, I logged into the website interface and can confirm that it is possible to edit the device list and remove old devices.  However I had to login from a desktop browser, logging in from mobile safari browser on iPad just took me to the subscription admin page, so perhaps not supported on a mobile browser?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When using a mobile browser to connect to my.arlo.com, be sure to set the browser to use the desktop version of the site.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I requested desktop site on my iPad and still just goes straight to the admin page I.e. I’m not getting the option to view cameras, change settings, automations etc.  Not an issue for me personally though since I can use my PC if I ever need to remove geofencing devices.  Would be useful if they added the ability to manage this device list in the App in a future version though.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may need to clear cache/cookies for My.arlo.com. I've seen that, too, but don't remember exactly how I got rid of the message page.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Using the my.arlo.com web interface I was able to clear out all the old geofencing devices.  Interestingly I found that geofencing device list for each user can also be found in the App under settings, privacy centre (data privacy on android), account, available geofencing devices.  I actually deleted all the devices listed because it was a mess with the naming and I couldn’t really identify what was what.  I then reinstalled the app on the devices I wanted, named them clearly when it asked to set the trusted device name.  But now for some reason my geofencing device list on routines / automations is still blank I.e. the newly added / renamed devices don’t show up even though they show up under the list under privacy settings.  The list is also blank on the web interface.  

I tried removing a shared user and re-inviting them to see if that refreshed the list, but no change.  I also tried deleting one of my shared user Arlo accounts and registering a new account to see if that refreshed the device list, but still no luck.  Any ideas please?  Maybe I just need to wait for it to refresh although it’s been a few hours already.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

After over 24 hours my geofencing device list is still blank.  I found someone with a possible similar issue and replied to their thread here:  https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Secure/Android-Arlo-Secure-missing-list-of-devices-in-automations...