Live feed time lag

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
tbhholland
Guide
Guide

Hi, The time lag on my live feed has dramatically changed over the last few days on my Pro 5.   The 1 camera that I have is connected to my iPad through a router.  That set-up hasn't changed. While it use to be about 5 seconds, it's now closer to 15-20 seconds.  Is there a way to control the lag?  Maybe I accidentally changed a setting?  Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tbhholland,

Are you referring to the time it takes to load a video to view within feeds? Or are you referring to the time it takes to launch a live stream on the camera?

If you use a different device than the iPad to view, do you experience the same behavior?

JamesC

tbhholland
Guide
Guide

Hi JamesC,

I only use the iPad as it's my shops device (I use 1 Pro5 camera in a small retail shop).  The question relates to the lag in a live stream.  If someone walks into the shop and I turn the live stream on, the live stream is now about 15 seconds behind actual time.  In the beginning the lag was only 5 seconds.

Best

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tbhholland,

What does the signal strength icon show for the camera? If you restart the camera, do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

tbhholland
Guide
Guide

I switched out the battery and now it's closer to a 'live' view.  Unfortunately while I have the live view, I now I lost the feed...

Maintstjohns
Guide
Guide

I'm having the same issue and like yours, it just recently started.

We have a Arlo Essential Spotlight camera on the front door of the church. When we see a person on the live feed that person actually came into the church 15-20 seconds earlier.

We wired this camera a few weeks ago.

Thank you in advance for your help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A weak signal between the camera and router can cause this. Temporarily bring the camera closer to the router to see if the lag improves.

Maintstjohns
Guide
Guide

The wifi symbol for the camera is indicating a strong signal. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That doesn't preclude 2.4GHz interference. Testing in a different location is still a viable troubleshooting method.

Maintstjohns
Guide
Guide

Hello,

I appreciate your response.
   I moved the laptop within 12' of the router and we still had 20-30 seconds lag time.
   We are normally streaming our church service at the same time. That was not going on during this test today.

Best regards,
Chris Day
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Maintstjohns wrote:

I moved the laptop within 12' of the router and we still had 20-30 seconds lag time.
   We are normally streaming our church service at the same time. That was not going on during this test today.

Does rebooting both the church router and your hub help?  

Maintstjohns
Guide
Guide

The camera is an Arlo Essential XL, so it does not have a hub. 

I'll reboot the router today to see if that makes a difference.

Weird thing is that this 20-30 second lag just started a few weeks ago.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Maintstjohns wrote:

Weird thing is that this 20-30 second lag just started a few weeks ago.

Often rebooting the router helps (at least for a while).

Maintstjohns
Guide
Guide

Rebooting the router fixed the problem. Thank you for your support.

How often should the router be re-booted?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It shouldn't routinely be needed. It's just one more thing to check when things stop working right.

Maintstjohns
Guide
Guide

Thank you for our help.

Chris