Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo Upgrade is TERRIBLE. Ruined Arlo for me. How can I revert to the old UI

Discussion stats
brianbish
Guide
Guide

Hope you're all doing well. I've been an Arlo user for a while now, with 7 cameras and the new 2k doorbell in my setup. My goal was to streamline everything under Arlo, given how much I trust the brand. But after this recent software update, I've run into a few challenges that are really big problems that need to be addressed

I've been around the block on the internet, and I've seen others on Reddit and even here expressing similar concerns. Here's what's been on my mind:

1. Camera Control: The previous version had a dedicated screen for arming and disarming, making it quick and user-friendly. The new UI, with its 'Arm Away,' 'Disarm,' and 'Stand By' seems good outside of realworld applications but it is not practical for having full control over the cameras; especially for individual camera control

2. Status Overview: You can not see the status of all cameras at one time, which is not just inconvenient but a safety concern.

3. Camera Access & Playback: Following Arlo's suggestion, I've toggled devices on and off. The downside? Not being able to see live video playback when it's off, and having to navigate each camera separately to turn them on/off, especially with my larger setup, it is very inefficient

There are other minor issues, but these stand out. Anyone else here facing the same? And if someone has found a way to revert to the previous version or has workarounds while Arlo possibly addresses these, please share.

Appreciate the support and looking forward to improvements!

Best answers
35 REPLIES 35
brianbish
Guide
Guide

Also - not I can not even find a way to add geofencing and my old geofencing rules have been removed. This is terrible. I can not believe that arlo would move backwards like this

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I think you’re biggest challenge is that you can’t go back.

Arlo doesn’t explain why nor give adequate warning of the outcome.

Remember that this is expected behaviour from arlo especially since the EOL debacle.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some of it is just getting used to the new UI although there's plenty that could be improved. It does seem like it was designed by engineers for engineers rather than how typical users may want it to work. Time will tell whether and/or how modifications trickle down.

@brianbish wrote:

Also - not I can not even find a way to add geofencing and my old geofencing rules have been removed. This is terrible. I can not believe that arlo would move backwards like this

Have you read the appropriate FAQ about Automations and geofencing?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

https://kb.arlo.com/000062822/What-are-Arrive-Leave-Automations-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-for-my-Arlo-s...

To speed locating the appropriate FAQs, I just search for things like "arlo geofencing" which provides results faster than I can usually find them in the support area here - YMMV. Be sure to verify that you're looking at the FAQs for the new UI, not the old one - there's a link near the top of each FAQ you can use if you get the old one.

When you select Automations in the Routines section, click on the "+" at the top right and choose Add Arrive/Leave. Note that you need to set up both individually (same thing with the schedule - one to use one mode at a specific time and then another to cover the other time period). It is a change in mindset but does avoid the previous issue of not spanning days that the old schedule had.

Please respond with questions/issues - we should be able to sort it out as quickly as Internet forums allow.

danenglish2
Guide
Guide

Long time paying Arlo customer here.  The new UI is a deal breaker for me and am looking for a new solution, probably Blink.  The inability to arm/disarm individual cameras makes it unusable.  I also have three locations and now I'm expected to pay a separate subscription for each?  Sorry, no... there are other options out there.

brianbish
Guide
Guide

I figured out how to add geofencing. Too bad it does not work.....

Also I am not allowed to turn off notifications on individual cameras anymore (ie high traffic areas that I still want to be recorded). There is an option but is does not let me save turning off cameras. 

Also glad to know that I am not the only one with issues. I too am a long paying customer and now feel like I am being forced to leave a once great camera system because the UI does not work anymore. I get that it is different and there is an aspect of getting used to it but it is not that simple. There are just too many important features that were removed and there is no reason they should have been.

I still can not figure out how to tell if my cameras are armed or disarmed..  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

To enable or remove notification for a specific camera, you can navigate to Routines > Modes > Select the mode > Select the device under the Device Rules > Add action > Send Notification > Next > Save. You can also remove a rule by selecting Delete Rules. 

Your cameras will be armed If you have the rules enabled to record in either of the Modes: Arm Away, Arm Home, Standby. 

You can find more info here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062889/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-motion-or-sound-detection-on-my-Arlo-device...

danenglish2
Guide
Guide

Thank you, but that is too many steps.  It was one tap in the prior app.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@danenglish2 

The previous steps are for customizing your automations, you can manually tap Arm away, Arm Home, Standby directly from the Dashboard if you choose to. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kibou
Initiate
Initiate

The new App has also ruined everything for me. This is purely just a cashgrab from Arlo. I have 3 Locations IN THE SAME COUNTRY yet I have to play for all each location? Are you insane?

I wish I never bought the Arlo Pro 5

danenglish2
Guide
Guide

I moved over to Blink... $10/mo for unlimited cams & locations.  Cameras are less expensive and app is simple yet does what I need.

Kibou
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you Arlo Team and your Cash Grabers for ruining everything. I really enjoyed Arlo very much that I got new Cameras and now this. I'll just return these sh! t cameras

RDHenry
Aspirant
Aspirant

I updated my app to the new version, which also now has the updated UI. My husband also updated to the new version, but his UI did not update. Now I can’t see any of our devices!  Help please???

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

All you can do is ask your partner to fake add a pro5 camera to have his app upgrade to the new UI.

Then beg for his forgiveness.

BDC2023
Star
Star

I'm with you on this one too and have been using these products since the 720p days.  Hopefully there is an update that makes this UI better than now.

This is not only an Arlo issue, but this issue is also across the board with a lot of this tech companies.  They do "upgrades" that are garbage.

Keep commenting so this gets action, and they bring back library.  Too bad there is not a repository with older versions of the app.

chippers61
Tutor
Tutor

This is absolutely the worst app and worst app "rollout" I have ever seen. If I didn't have like 10 cameras I would be switching immediately. As it is, I will be looking at the cost over time of just trashing my Arlos and switching to another brand with a better support, app and cost. 

THIS SYSTEM PROVIDES LESS SECURITY FOR ARLO USERS.

The new interface could be improved by allowing users to create custom modes, 6-10 seems like that would be adequate, since you really need 2 modes for any kind of scenario.

As others have said, you MUST be able to individually arm/disarm cameras, independent of the Mode. So many safety reasons you may need this. For instance, you have people working in the house and want to turn off a downstairs camera but want upstairs enabled for security. If there were additional modes this could possibly done by adding new modes, but you'd need to completely recreate your existing modes to accommodate this simple change.

Phone customer service with ARLO is horrible. Reps do not adequately speak english.

danenglish2
Guide
Guide

I ate the upfront cost and moved to Blink.  Unlimited cameras/locations for $10/mo and the app does what you need in a common sense way.  Arlo cameras will be going on ebay.

WalkingTheDog
Tutor
Tutor

I have had 3 Arlo cameras with a base station at my house for several years now and have been using the old app with no issue.  Inherited my mother's home and bought 3 new cameras, which require the new app.  The new app UI is absolutely the worst I've seen and had I known how bad it would be, I would have gone with a different system.  Unfortunately, I now have too much money invested in both systems.  Arlo needs to overhaul the UI on the app or revert back.  By definition, if I have to read the forums to figure out how to do something in the app, the app UI design is poor.  And here I am, having to scour quite a few posts to figure out how to make two separate systems work like they did before.  Super frustrating.

Loxxer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm glad I found this thread bcuz I came close to upgrading.   Keeping the old UI.  

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Be careful.  I read all of this and planned to skip the update also.  Then I had a memory lapse and added a Pro 5s and allowed the update.  So much for that.  

Heavyuser
Guide
Guide

I have 7 cameras and I'm an advanced network user.  The update in December totally crashed my entire app.  I took loved them, but they have seriously screwed something up.  Had a ticket in for almost a month now 

Revert back to the old and fix this crap Arlo!!!

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I simply do not understand how Arlo product management and engineering can totally ignore its biggest users (and ardent proponents) when designing a new UI.  It is mind boggling….especially since they blew it so badly in 2019.

WalkingTheDog
Tutor
Tutor

Same here.  Had I known what was going to happen ...

Senator16
Initiate
Initiate

I completely agree with the original comments. The new app is HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE!

I just purchased two essential cameras that brings my total to 11.

I can't get the disarm mode to off to stop the notifications!

The app gets hung and i have to shut down the iPad!

For supposedly being a good company, they have blown it big time with this upgrade.

Not yet sure what I am going to do but likely send the two new cameras back and switch out all cameras and go with different system!

WalkingTheDog
Tutor
Tutor

The whole idea of a properly designed interface is that I should not have to extensively read the forums to dissect an interface.  The Arlo engineers should have designed and thoroughly tested an interface that is intuitive and super easy to use.  The latest update is none of that.  Basically, they blew it.  The right thing to do would be to start another redesign and fix and or improve any previous issues.