Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

sdmcgeown
Star
Star

I have seen numerous people posting similar issues but none of the solutions offered really address this problem. There are, at best, workarounds.

I am the main account holder for my Arlo secure account. I have a base station and three Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

All I want to do is share these with my wife's account so she can see the footage as well.

I used the Grant Access feature, selecting all the devices and base station, and it generated an invitation that was sent to my wife.

These are the three attempts we made:

1. She created an account on her App and followed the link. At the end of the process, no devices were visible on her dashboard.

2. We tried again, this time using a different email address. She used a Chrome browser this time on her Windows laptop and created a fresh new Arlo account from scratch. Again there were no devices on her dashboard (browser and app).

3. Finally, I tried myself - using my other email address as if I were a brand new user, going through the process from scratch on my Macbook's Safari browser. Again, I could see nothing appear on my dashboard.

In cases 2 and 3, I could see that the invite was accepted. In the first case (using the app on both my side and my wife's side), the invitation was marked as pending.

This shouldn't be difficult to do. We've tried the app, Windows and Macbook, so can probably rule out a specific platform with a problem.

What is the correct process to add another user? The current documented process does not work.

Thanks, Stephen

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

For the grant access feature to allow visibility to the shared account, both users need to be on the same version of the Arlo mobile app and UI experience. We're currently rolling out app updates for iOS and Android users, but all users may not have version 4.0 available to them just yet. If you have a support ticket open, I encourage you to continue working on a resolution with the support team. Otherwise, please send me a private message and I will assist further.

JamesC

155 REPLIES 155
Djbbuppers
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not sure how long ago these were posted. I failed to look, however, my wife had created the account. She in an android and I, being the smart one, iPhone. Anyhow… I read this and had her go to the security systems under add device. It said she needed the new UI/version. She updated and within a minute I logged back in and could see the cameras. Woohoo! Thanks all!
daisydog11
Aspirant
Aspirant

This advice totally worked, thank you! I could not add my husband and its was the UI issue, his app didnt have the same features mine did and now its works. We also had checked that we had the same version and we did - but this UI thing still had to be done 

The first thing you need to verify is if both the primary and secondary accounts are using the latest version of the Arlo mobile app (4.0.1 as of today). Second, both apps need to be using the same UI experience (you can quickly identify this by seeing if there is a "dashboard" option across the bottom of the app main screen after logging in). If you do not see dashboards, we need to force your account to migrate to the new UI experience. To do this, you will need to tap "Add new device", select "Arlo Home Security System" and you should be prompted to migrate to the new UI. After you receive verification that you've successfully migrated your account, you can then leave the Arlo Home Security System onboarding flow and then you should be able to share devices with the friend account. 

I felt this was ridiculous in a way that there is no way to find this out as a normal user without a long series of discussions with support staff. They should make it obvious in the app that the feature won't work unless you have a certain version, which is fair enough.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daisydog11 wrote:

I felt this was ridiculous ...

It is ridiculous, and I'm sure it is creating a lot of headaches for Arlo folks too.

When Arlo started to roll out "Feed", they were certainly thinking that they'd only have two UIs for a short time before everyone was shifted to "Feed".  But it didn't work out that way - there were too many  problems with "Feed" at the time. 

My guess is that they will drop the "Library" interface in a few months.  That's just my guess though, we'll have to see how it evolves.

joey606
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for this comment.  I have looked at app versions dozens of times and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.  Once I got updated away from old library and mode the app worked for us.  

Anits
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m done. Nothing works. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Anits you need to make sure that whoever you are sharing cameras with are on the same user interface. So if you are on feed and they have library they will need to update to the new firmware.