• 65 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

All

Did a search and still having issues.

had geofencing and schedules working fine on old app and now I’m really struggling, hope someone can help.

all I want to do is the following 

1) when at home I want it to follow a time schedule, ie change the mode to standby (arms some cameras) at 2200 then arm

away at 2330 (arms all cameras) and then arm home at 0530 (disarms cameras)

2) I want geofencing to arm away if I leave the property and on my return I want it to go back to the scheduled timers

3) i want geofencing when i am away to over ride the times schedules, so all my cameras remained armed.

finding it impossible. It was so easy on the old app

65 REPLIES 65
alex_aus1
Tutor
Tutor

I wish i had checked this thread prior to upgrading both mine and my mum's app. I wouldnt let me install a new device without upgrading, so i said "what the hell".

Not looking good currently, cant do what i want it to do for either property. I only just worked out how to get geofencing back up..going pout to test now..  as for the overnight armed schedule (silent as i dont want to wake the family)  i am doubting this more and more reading all this.

If the teen gangs come steal my car tonight and i have no footage,  its on you Arlo!

please look at resolving this asap

Newtonhill
Star
Star

I’ve just replaced our Arlo doorbell with Arlo Video doorbell 2k today and had to update the app to install.  We’ve spent ages trying to get the geofencing to work with no joy.  We were actually seriously thinking of dumping our Arlo system (three Pro 2 and three Pro 3 cameras) for Eufy cameras and video doorbell to avoid monthly cloud fees but decided against this due the inability to use geofencing with the Eufy system.  This has supposedly been requested from Eufy for over five years. Little did I know that the update to Arlo app would ruin the perfectly good geofencing system that we’ve used for years.  We’re now in the position of having to reconsider our options and whether we return the Arlo Video doorbell to Amazon and invest in the Eufy system instead as I’m not prepared to potentially wait around for years to see if Arlo will fix this astonishingly bad update.  Hang your heads in shame Arlo, I’m seriously pi**ed off.

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you follow my last set of screenshots and info you can get geofencing working with schedules with one caveat, what ever time you create a scheduled automation to change the arm mode at night say 2359 if you get back later than that it will just change to whatever your geo fence arrive automation is, eg standby as opposed to the time schedule at 2359 which is arm home for me.  

This IMO is better than no geofencing and schedules working together like eufy BUT still a massive step backwards by frankly incompetence from Arlo.

The new logic they have implemented is a half baked attempt of using ‘if this equals that then do this’ 

Newtonhill
Star
Star

Thanks for the info.  I’ll try setting ours up as you suggest and see if it works tomorrow 🤞

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

hi @wenklaw ,

Just referring to this first post here (ie scheduling 2200 for standby, 2330 for away, 0530 for home),

I think your pt 2 regarding "on my return I want it to go back to the scheduled timers" impossible, given automation schedules are only triggered at the particular time you specified, instead of triggered any time DURING any period (and there is no period you can specify for an automation schedule!)

This means for geofencing (not automation), you only "change mode" to 1 of the standby/away/home modes on "return" --- and it is true there is no consideration of time there.

Regarding your pt 3 "geofencing when i am away to over ride the times schedules", I think you can simply NOT include "AWAY" in the "edit enable" under the automation schedule. (ie routines >> automations >> [schedule name] then unclick AWAY).  This has been working perfectly for me.

Hope this helps.

Alex

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

and @wenklaw  do you have geofencing working?  (ie when you leaves home, something gets triggered, and then when you are back home, something else get triggered)

if you really do, may I ask:

1. How many devices do you have?

2. Could you share screenshots as to how you do it?

Many thanks.

Alex

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

hi if you follow message 16 from an Arlo mod and then my message 21 in this thread.

ive 2 devices working with geofencing and schedule automations BUT as I’ve said its not perfect.

it works as follows. 

if both devices are at home, Arlo sets to ‘arm standby’ then at 2359 changes to ‘arm home’ and then at 0500 sets back to ‘arm standby’

If both devices leave, Arlo sets the mode to ‘arm away’ and disables the schedule automations therefore staying in ‘arm away’ until one of the two devices return, this is done by changing the ‘arm away’ settings seen in message 21s screenshot I posted. 

arrive home after 2359 bit before 0500 though will mean the automation to ‘arm home’ will not trigger and the mode will just return to ‘arm standby’.

if you left before 0500am though I figure the set up will still work as intended.

at the moment I can’t post any screenshots but will in the next few days if you still need them

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

thanks @wenklaw .  Some follow-up questions for you 😉

1.  For the 2 devices that are working for you, are they all iPhones, all Androids, or a mix of both?

2.  I see that if both your devices leave, arlo sets to "arm away" -- that is great.  What will arlo do, when one of the devices return?

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both iPhones running iOS 17 (latest version)

when one device returns Arlo will change the mode to ‘arm standby’ as set in the geofencing automation, this could be set to any of the three ‘modes’. it will also re-enable the schedule automations that ‘arm home’ at 2359 and ‘arm standby’ at 0500am

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

Hi @wenklaw ,

Good on you that geofencing works perfectly.  For my 1x Android and 1x iPhone here, often arlo geofencing won't switch mode (to arm away, per my setting), when both devices are leaving home together.

Frustratingly seeing this, I would manually switch to ARM AWAY.  and then when either/both of us is returning home, it does not switch back to ARM Home which is what I have set up in "arrive geofencing".   As a result, I was "captured" by my camera!  Doubled frustration

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

so @wenklaw , given you have iPhones for your ARLO, do you experience the "duplicate geofencing issue" that many of us are having?

That is: if I open up my android app here and go to Settings >> Data Privacy >> Account >> Available geofence devices, I can see 3 (instead of 2) devices --- my own android device, and 2x iPhone devices showing the same device name of my wife's iPhone.  Apparently the 2x iPhones there are incorrect and duplicate.  (and if I delete 1 of these, it will show up duplicated, some time later)

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did have the duplicate issue but after I edited the names of both mine and my partners iPhones within the Arlo privacy settings as you describe, next to your device ‘edit’ and I just added a 1 and 2 and I was then able to delete the duplicates.  I renamed on the app on each device rather than doing both from my app on my phone if that makes sense and then deleted unwanted devices.
I still have a an android tablet in the list I can’t delete but that’s not causing any issues with geo fencing.

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@wenklaw so the (duplicate) device did NOT re-appear after being deleted, eh?  (vs experience of many of us that the device re-appears after being deleted)

Sounds like you have done something "right", given things are fine for you at the end of the day. 

Could you share screenshots of your automation (schedules and geofencing)?  I might just blindly follow yours.  It's hopeless waiting for a proper fix from ARLO, sigh.

Thank you in advance.

Alex

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

No duplicates have reappeared.

will post screenshots later today mate

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

IMG_0458.png

IMG_0459.png

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

huh @wenklaw ?

Can't read any of the pictures attached.

Alex

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

just logged into the forum on my laptop and i can see the pictures

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

no, they are all like empty triangles

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

IMG_0458.pngIMG_0462.jpegIMG_0461.jpegIMG_0463.jpegIMG_0460.jpegIMG_0464.jpegIMG_0459.png4234.jpg60673.jpg

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

how about now? if you can they may be out of order, you need to set up the schedule automations first.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alex_loo wrote:

no, they are all like empty triangles

All embedded images need to be approved by a mod before they are shown.  So just wait a bit...

alex_loo
Guide
Guide

@wenklaw ,i can see them all now.  thanks.

I'll just blindly follow your set up.  See how it goes.

BTW for your arrive/leave rules, why are you having only specific people, instead of any/all people?

Alex

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Specific people in geofencing as within that automation are other devices such as my iPad, there are also some

random devices still in that section strangely too but not in my accounts geofencing devices.  Just select the devices you want to activate geofencing

alex_aus1
Tutor
Tutor

thanks @wenklaw for these, I have replicated within my setup  and hopefully it will meet my expectations, it's a shame we need to perform something so complicated for something that was working perfectly fine in the last app version. 

Come on Arlo, get your stuff together...

KDMC01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Luckily I held off upgrading to his new version until I returned from a trip otherwise my home security would have been more severely compromised.  I have found this new version to be a mess - non-intuitive, buggy, little or no instructions or examples of even basic configuration setups.   With such a major version change why didn’t the new version load the original configuration setups?

Please sort this out before I am forced, like many others, to abandon Arlo.  PS - I have found the hardware to be super reliable.