Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
doncaruana
Guide
Guide

I still have my original Arlo Pro system with hub and that's what the arlo secure app logs into. I try to add a new pro 5 camera and the first thing it does is say "Upgrade to continue. You must first upgrade your system to experience the new features, functions, and enhanced security experience for your Arlo Pro5 Security Camera."

I hit continue and I get several pages of all the new "features" and finally a button that says "Start Upgrade".

And then I almost immediately get "Upgrade could not be completed".

According to the help I don't have any incompatible devices and all of them have at least 15% battery, with the lowest at 37% and it's plugged in. 

So is it not available in the midwest region of the US? I have a bunch of expensive bricks right now...

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any incompatible devices wouldn't stop the migration - worst case you just wouldn't see/access them.

I tested the migration a few weeks ago on a secondary account I use for testing/sharing purposes and it failed. That was using the Android app. I just tried it on the web client and it worked fine, using the Pro 5 as the device to install. Have you tried both the app as well as the web to see if you can get it to migrate? Which app are you using?

doncaruana
Guide
Guide

I was using Android, which is currently v4.12. I just tried using the web and got one step further after choosing to upgrade - a pop up showed that the custom modes I have on my hub aren't supported but it gave me the option to upgrade anyway.  And then it immediately failed with "Failed to migrate user to the location"

doncaruana
Guide
Guide

So it failed...and then when I exited, it asked if I wanted to add my device to a hub or without a hub. I chose hub and it actually added it. So for anyone else with this issue...android doesn't work at all and web works if you ignore the initial errors!

And, interestingly, my custom modes are still there. I even just added the new camera to one of the modes.

Related note - how do I unlink it from my base? And can I have a mixed system - with some linked to the base and some not?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

doncaruana,

You can have a mixed setup with some cameras synced directly to your home network and others linked to the smarthub.

You would need to remove the pro 5 camera and set up as if it were new.

JamesC

doncaruana
Guide
Guide

So I still basically have an issue. I was able to add the pro 5 via the web, but that seems to have been a glitch as nothing changed on my account. The custom modes are still there and everything looks the same (I still have library instead of feed, for example). And if I try to add a second camera the same messages appear.

So if I am supposed to have to upgrade and it won't let me, what am I losing? And how do I get past this issue? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

doncaruana,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information.

JamesC

Crickey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. I can't upgrade via the iPhone app.

I tried upgrading via the website as well, but finally got a "Failed to migrate user to the location" message.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Crickey,

Try adding the Arlo Home Security system to prompt the account upgrade. Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Crickey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trying to add the Security resulted in the same issue with upgrading. However, when I added the camera through the web dashboard instead of the iOS app, I was able to add the camera.