Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Secure subscription plan price increase

Discussion stats
DogWatchMe
Apprentice
Apprentice

I feel really funny about the Arlo Secure multi-camera subscription plan price increase.  Going from $9.99 to $12.99 per month is a 30% increase.  I wouldn't feel so bad about it but, ...  I used to be really happy with my Arlo H/W and S/W under Arlo SW version 3.x.  Now, I'm using Arlo SW version 4.x.  All of the sudden features are broken, that used to work.  All of the sudden features I used to like are now missing.  I'm not happy with any of it; that is, the current state of the Arlo SW release.

So, now that I'm unhappy with the current state of the SW, my monthly prices are increases by 30%.  Does anyone else feel slighted by this?

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Annual rates are now available. When opting in for an annual subscription, there is no increase in the monthly rate. For more information, take a look at the plans here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html

JamesC

48 REPLIES 48
Patrickreaton
Initiate
Initiate

Not to mention that smooth scrolling from the fingertip now it’s like dos or something? I was just  getting over it because my little 4 camera wifi system. I didn’t appreciate the fact that if your out of town and the internet goes off? Poorly thought out? it needs to have a backup onboard that keeps data at least 5 days worth? Keeps on recording regardless of wireless internet for idiots? Oh and as far as the system to call police ? I can do that why else have cameras? Plus for space to store videos? I bought a Tbit external? endless amount of storage…. PLUS it will just start rewriting in the old vids once it gets full-you know it does when the dog is running around the yard? Cost around 60$ back then? Strange that device still works perfectly 

PWM123
Initiate
Initiate
  • Know This:  Years ago I bought into arlo because of $0 subscription fee to view the video alerts. Base station "mysteriously" stopped working and I had to pay more money to replace it with a hub and pay $3.99/month because they changed something. I Wasn't told it was a  promotional price and now it's $9.99 /month. I didn't invest over $1000.00 in hardware to be treated like this.
LC596
Star
Star

I just noticed that they changed my Visa and didn’t even notify that there was an increase! 

What is going on?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

I just noticed that they charged my Visa and didn’t even notify that there was an increase! 

What is going on?

See 

Mettler7
Initiate
Initiate

I'm not thrilled with the 30% increase either. May start investing in another camera system. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Annual rates are now available. When opting in for an annual subscription, there is no increase in the monthly rate. For more information, take a look at the plans here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html

JamesC

Taz7280
Initiate
Initiate

Definitely with you on that.  My Arlo notifications etc worked better when I was paying zero $ per month when I bought my original Arlo system 5 years ago.  I cancelled my now $12.99 monthly subscription.  Not worth it.  I’ll find something else.  

LC596
Star
Star

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!!

LC596
Star
Star

HAVE YOU DONE YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE YET?  ANY PROBLEMS?

CAN YOU SEE SOMETHING ON YOUR MOBILE WHEN YOU GET A NOTIFICATION/

OR SEE THE HISTORY OF DAYS THAT ARE ON YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

CAN YOU SEE SOMETHING ON YOUR MOBILE WHEN YOU GET A NOTIFICATION/

OR SEE THE HISTORY OF DAYS THAT ARE ON YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE?

Note you need either a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 to see local recordings in the app.  Other bases don't support that feature.

LC596
Star
Star

I do have a VMB500…

my problem is the batteries also. 
They only last 3-4 days…

Captiva
Star
Star

Yeah I feel you.  It's been a good run with Arlo, but I am going to start thinking about a Lorex system. I am getting $9.99'd a month to death with subscriptions for modern tech/entertainment life.  I am afraid to list them all out...

LC596
Star
Star

I have a VMB5000 hub.

I’m very tempted to restart this whole system. Wipe everything clean and start from scratch.

We changed the batteries 3 days ago and all 5 are dead as of yesterday. I have all the settings set to minimum, why are they going dead? We only have one that is hardwired, and now I’m thinking that we need to make all of them all wired.

Can we get the 25’ wires for the 5 cameras, attach them to an extension (without a surge protector) in the attic?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

Can we get the 25’ wires for the 5 cameras, attach them to an extension (without a surge protector) in the attic?

You could.  They have an integrated power adapter, and might be hard to pull to the outside though.

LC596
Star
Star

No, I was thinking that I could run 25’ cords from the cameras to the extension in the attic. In other words, feed the magnetic part of the power to the cameras from the attic to the cameras. Then plug the power side of the wires to the extension cord. We might have to extend one of our outlets in the attic to be a central place in the attic for all 5 cameras on a 25’ line.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

I was thinking that I could run 25’ cords from the cameras to the extension in the attic. In other words, feed the magnetic part of the power to the cameras from the attic to the cameras. 

I understood that.  You likely will need to drill a bit to get the cable out of the attic to the camera.  The size of the hole you'll need to drill is a bit bigger than many people want, due to the size of the magnetic connector. 

Rp42069
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo was wrong by not notifying me of the price increase! I didn't even know until I looked at my bank account.  The app hardly even tells me when an event happens. I'm looking into other providers.  After 2 years with arlo, I'm moving on. Spent $1000 with them, just to be screwed in the end....

AnaKay
Tutor
Tutor

I agree. My subscription is 3.50 and now I have to pay 5.50…. That’s 40% increase for terrible quality everything. Not to mention I didn’t even get a notification of a price increase. I am canceling this terrible subscription and changing cameras. 
the camera has a mind of its own, it records when ever and what ever it feels like recording. Total garbage. 

LC596
Star
Star

The hole might be a little larger then I would want, but I can always seal it and repaint…

personname
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not happy with the increase & 30% increase is an assault on your paying customers.

And, not happy with the direction of customer 'vibes'.  Kinda reminds me of other companies like Sonos who had a vibrant and happy customer base that literally built the company, control from which is then wrestled by new bean counters which constantly dream of how to bilk the loyal base with more fees and planned obsolescence.  Just like Sonos, will certainly consider new systems without subscription models.

personname
Aspirant
Aspirant

DON'T LET THE BEAN COUNTERS RUIN THE COMPANY

States
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a single doorbell only. The monthly fee increased 75%!

I cancelled as the increase I feel not  fair nor reasonable.

Dbbbbb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Individual cameras were 2.99 a month. Now they’re 4.99, a raise for 66%. When you opt for the yearly plan, they’re 3.99 a month. A raise of 33%. How are you saying there isn’t a raise when you get the yearly plan. Are you bad at math?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dbbbbb wrote:

Individual cameras were 2.99 a month. Now they’re 4.99, a raise for 66%. When you opt for the yearly plan, they’re 3.99 a month. A raise of 33%. How are you saying there isn’t a raise when you get the yearly plan. Are you bad at math?

@JamesC was talking about the multicamera pricing.  Individual camera subscriptions are higher, even with the yearly plan.