Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 43 Replies
  • 54 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

So... I've had a couple of emails today from Alro stating that they are introducing a fair usage policy for their Arlo Secure plans which I am extremely shocked by! I pay a fortune each month for cloud-based recordings on devices which aren't even that great so now they are going to start telling me I record too much which recording motion events is the entire reason for the cameras! They have put prices up and now are going to complain about you using too much cloud recordings which is a joke! Other companies are out there which sell good quality cameras with local recording which it seems I am going to be moving over to because as soon as Arlo tells me I am using too much cloud storage I am leaving. Arlo needs to sort themselves out because this is not acceptable. The entire basis of this system is for cloud-based recording and now you are going to moan at users for doing this! Arlo is dying and I am so glad I haven't spent more money buying more cameras. I am going to look into other brands and start switching over.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

To clarify, the Arlo Fair Use policy is specific to Arlo customers in Europe. It does not apply to other regions. 

This policy was implemented to promote fair usage of cloud resources, allowing all customers to enjoy reliable and high-quality service. By monitoring cloud usage, we aim to prevent any misuse or excessive consumption of resources that potentially impact the service quality for others. We believe that this policy helps us maintain a level playing field for everyone and ensures that our services remain efficient and accessible to all. You can find more specific details here: https://www.arlo.com/en_gb/about-us/fair-use-policy?utm_source=arloemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FUP_email1

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in adhering to our fair use policy. Should you have any questions or require further clarification, please feel free to reach out to our customer Arlo EU support team. Thank you for being a valued customer, and for your cooperation in helping us provide the best service possible.

43 REPLIES 43
Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

So, you introduced the fair usage policy in Europe because you couldn't introduce the EOL policy there. What's next? Live streaming policy limiting to 10s per day, or maybe one that says that the doorbell can be pressed once per day? I could understand if you provided a seamless experience with your app and firmware, but because it's a half baked product, it's giving everyone indigestion. 

ArloUser90
Tutor
Tutor

Couldn't agree more - just been looking at (and adding to) the TrustPilot reviews. I wonder how well Arlo will do when their rating drops to below the current 1.3/5.0. Will they even care?

The fact of the matter is, they've dropped quality in all key areas (hardware/software/support) and now to rub salt in the wound they want more money. Certainly feels that as an EU user, we're getting shafted.

ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

I knew it was coming and here it is! The warning about me using too much cloud storage because I set my cameras to record often. They obviously haven't realised I've already cancelled my subscription and gone to a different company. I am now enjoying 24/7 recording and not paying a monthly fee. The email Arlo sent is pushing CVR as we all expected.Screenshot_20240509_145843_Gmail.jpg

ArloUser90
Tutor
Tutor

Sounds like a good idea to me. The issue I've got (as I'm sure many others also have) is that I bought these cameras specifically for the cloud storage as well as the 4k recording. Now you're telling me that I'm using too much storage, but nothing telling me my stats, you want to push me down the CVR route and record at 1080p, why on earth would I have purchased multiple 4k cameras to record at 1080p. Do better Arlo, do much better, this all feels like a knee jerk reaction without any thought as to your customers who've paid for subscriptions since 2014, upgraded cameras as they've come out and now you want to ignore all that loyalty and press every last penny you can pit of us. I've not seen any option available to me to reduce storage retention (i.e. 10 days cloud and rest stored on the base unit). 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

How on earth do you reduce your monthly usage?

And what is the monthly allowance? (in MB/GB please, not length of clips)

Also, why not give the user an option to use their own storage (iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox etc.)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

How on earth do you reduce your monthly usage?

And what is the monthly allowance? (in MB/GB please, not length of clips)

FWIW, the policy defines the monthly allowance in seconds of recording.

That said, I agree Arlo isn't providing enough information to tell you what to do about it.  CVR clearly isn't the answer for most people.  Doorbells in particular can be challenging, since they cannot be aimed (and don't support CVR).

In particular, it would be good to know if deleting videos already recorded would keep you in compliance.  In other words, is the usage policy based on the seconds of video that are stored, or it is the seconds of video being recorded?

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

FWIW, the policy defines the monthly allowance in seconds of recording.

I know it does because I've read the email. But as I've pointed out before, data is measured in bytes. At least in Europe and in the UK, anyway.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

But as I've pointed out before, data is measured in bytes. At least in Europe and in the UK, anyway.

Of course.  But as written the quota is not in bytes.  So if you have Ultras (which use about 3 mbits) and someone else has 1080p cameras (which only use 1 mbit), then you would get 3x the bytes in your account before you trip the quota ceiling.

Smax7
Initiate
Initiate

Absolutely ridiculous and annoying! Blaming the user for business miscalculations and then selling the whole thing as "fairness" is outrageous! They offer 30 or 60 days of cloud storage - but you're actually supposed to make do with 15 hours per camera... which equates to just 1.6 days. These are misleading statements that are probably legally contestable - but in any case highly dubious.

ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think the only way Arlo/Verisure will know they messed up is if everyone cancelled their subscriptions.

Jay70
Guide
Guide

What is this fair usage nonsense? I bought a camera to upload to the cloud when motion is detected,  now i am told i am in breach of fair usage but there is not even a dashboard to tell me how much storage i use. What a big fail.  How can i reduce retention policy of stored clips? I don't need 30 days of stored clips,  i could reduce to a week if functionality existed??? Thanks

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

To start with, if you have arlo pro cameras the 7days free cloud storage service is still available for five or less unsubscribed cameras.

Also be aware that arlo cameras have firmware bugs that allow the arlo server to force camera triggered recordings to the maximum duration of 300 seconds so likely the reason for you exceeding arlo’s fair use policy.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

'firmware bug' suggests accidental and/or unintended/unplanned. The 300s is deliberate, though not sure of the reason.

Jay70
Guide
Guide

If you record 2 minute clips as I do (if someone is nicking my car i want a much footage as possible of the their) the policy allows 15 clips of 2 mins. 4 people live in my house,  we all go to work or school and return home, so there's 8 of the 15 clips used already,  before i have walked the dog twice a day, gone shopping  had the postman visit etc. So there's nothing fair about the fair use policy. I check my footage every morning so do not need 60 days worth of recording yet there is no functionality to tailor the retention policy.  This would appear to be a poorly thought out policy and rushed in without providing customers with the necessary tools to adjust

ArloUser90
Tutor
Tutor

So I finally got the 'your account will be terminated in 30 days' email today. No information or metrics around ow much I'd gone over the fair usage or anything like that.

Of course the pushing of CVR was there. I decided to call the support line and got through to a thoroughly unpleasant person called 'Marcel' .  I started the conversation light hearted, explaining I'd had the email and was there anything I could do, for example if my current subscription allows me to record up to 60 days, is there a setting I can change to perhaps only store 10 days on the cloud to keep in line with the policy. Good old Marcel seemed completely disinterested and told me 'no that can't be done, there was a feature request that was put in but it isn't functionality that's available'. I was then told 'it's just the way it is', there's nothing I can do, I'm just support. The take away of this part of the call was:

Arlo doesn't care that they've changed the goal posts in terms of your subscription. Not only that but there's no easy way for the end user to actually manage their recordings/what gets uploaded to the cloud.

I kicked off a little bit telling him that while he say's he's 'Just support' - at this moment, talking to me he is the face and representitive of Arlo and if he can't help, is there someone he can put me on with instead. After a few sessions on hold, he informed me that I could do the following to reduce my cloud storage:

1) Change motion detection to 80%

2) Set the camera to record for a dynamic amount of time, not the 1 minute I currently have

3) Upgrade to the CVR solution

4) Move the cameras so they don't pick cars up

In fairness and potentially with him understanding my frustrations that:
- The cameras are set to record for that long because we have had issues with car crime and the police have asked for the footage

- Historically, not having motion sensitivity set that high meant that crucial pieces of evidence has been missed

- Why would I have x4 Arlo Ultra 2 cameras (at significant cost) specifically for 4K recording, to utilise CVR at a maximum of 1080p? (Talk about bait and switch with the cameras! Can you imagine that with any other product? Laptops, you paid for 64GB RAM but you can only use 32GB. Cars? You've paid for a V8 but you can only use 4 cylinders...

He logged a feature request and assigned my complaint case to it. Very disappointed with Arlo, their products, their service and in all honesty, everything about them. He then emailed me to state (and I quote)

Dear XXXXX,

This is Marcel from Arlo Europe Support. I am contacting you regarding case 00622271.

In addition to our discussion, you can also purchase business plans, because Fair Use Policy is no longer valid for them.

We would like to hear back from you in 7 days. If we do not receive a message from you by then, we will consider the request to be resolved and will proceed to close your case.

Best regards

Marcel

Arlo Europe Support

Can I find mention of 'business' plan on the UK website? Nope

There is mention of it on a support article but no links to it or costs associated with it.

Well done Arlo, well done. You've got people who clearly don't care about their job or providing a service and are actually rude on the phone (call was recorded so please feel free to check it!). I'm currently going through the last 60 days on the abysmal browser to delete files - day by day, no quick way to do this. Utterly rediculous the lack of planning and support for customers. Do Arlo just want to lose customers and get rid of them as I honestly can't think of a better way they could go about it.

Sorry, rant over - hopefully some of it is useful to someone in case you decide you want to speak to some eastern european call centre.

Jay70
Guide
Guide

How is this a fair use policy.  There is nothing fair about it. Limiting me to 30 mins recording as there is no functionality to reduce the retention period.  30 mins is 15 clips of 2 minutes (2 minutes is chosen as i want to record as much as possible should someone break in to my house or car). 15 clips...4 people live in my house, we all go to work/school and return each day - so that's 8 clips. Add in a postman, milkman, parcel delivery and the fair usage limit is close to being breached.  This stinks and will lose Arlo lots of customers.

Please tell me how this is a fair, fair use policy

ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo systems are janky anyway. I was forever having my cameras tell me I needed to attach an Arlo charger to charge the camera when it was connected to genuine Arlo chargers for constant power. I was forever having issues with the Hubs offline or cameras offline and cameras missing important clips. Arlo added this new rip-off fair usage policy and I stopped using Arlo. I am already saving money from cancelling my subscription and everyone else in the same situation should do the same. Just buy other brands and have free footage locally stored.

ArloUser90
Tutor
Tutor

The way the guy was speaking today - I got the impression neither he, nor Arlo could care less if they lost customers. I suppose their business model has shifted to Verisure (lol at everything this company offers) or CVR.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Shocking but not surprising. However, my experience of dealing with support has been positive, but it doesn't mean it hasn't changed.

I cancelled my subscription a few weeks ago. I'm afraid I can't support the company that releases a firmware update without testing it, as it damaged my local storage, with me thinking there was a problem at my end, wasting a lot of my free time, which I have very little of, to rebuild the whole system. It was unforgivable, I'm afraid. (I had local storage enabled as backup as cloud storage was shocking quality for 4k).

The focus is very much on shareholders and pleasing them.

Verisure is actually quite a good company, but let's hope that this partnership with Arlo doesn't affect its reputation.