Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Android app constantly crashes on Android 13 when on WiFi (doesn't seem to happen on mobile data)?

Steps to reproduce:
- Cold start the app.
- Wait until the 'mode' menu option appears and then background the app.
- Open app again, wait a few seconds. Crash.

The app seems to be using some sort of connectivity listener in a way that android 13 doesn't like/allow. It was happening on the beta so hoped an update to fix it would be available by now, sadly not.

Arlo secure app version is: 3.6.8_28460

Running on a Pixel 6 Pro, Android 13, build number TPIA.220624.021

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Everyone,

It looks like an update was just released that should resolve this crashing issue with Android 13. Please update your Arlo App and test this again with version 3.6.9.

Please let me know if you experience any issues after the update. 

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sure, i uninstalled and re-installed on my Pixel 6 Pro, the crash continued to occur. I then did a clean install on the following:

Pixel 4XL, Android 11: No crash
Pixel 3a, Android 12: No crash
Samsung A70, Android 11: No crash

I have a pre-existing install on my iPad:
iPad, iOS 15.5: No crash

Here is the stack trace from my Pixel 6 Pro, hopefully it's useful: https://pastebin.com/YNRyHnSu

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just updated my Pixel 6 (not Pro) to Android 13 and see the same thing. Swiping the app away  when clicking on the "overview" icon at the bottom of the screen resolves it by force closing the app. Didn't happen on Android 12.

@JamesC , @ShayneS 

Edit: I also note that the crash turns off geofencing, too. Opening the app again is required to get that going.

Thewood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Seeing the same thing.  My old Pixel 3 has Android 11 and has no issues.  Pixel 5a has 13 and eventually crashes every time I open it.  It is becoming very hard to manage my six cameras.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, I have escalated this issue last Friday and the team is investigating. I will provide another update as soon as possible.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have a question that may seem irrelevant, but have you added any devices to the Apple HomeKit app around the time you experienced this issue with the Android app crash crashing?

SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Shayne,

No I don't have any Apple Home devices or a setup of that kind. This started happening immediately upon upgrading to the Android 13 beta build. It is odd though that there is Apple related code running on the Android app now that you mention it, I hadn't looked too hard at the stack trace before.

I'm going to try running the Arlo app through Android Studio emulators for Android 12 and 13 and I'll report back.

Thanks.

tebrodrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pixel 5 updated to Android 13, now Arlo crashes for me too. It has caused the phone crash and reboot once as well.

Arlo comes up, doesn't ask for a password, then crashes. Relaunch, and it asks for password (fingerprint) and then seems to work until I close it. Next launch, no password, then it crashes. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the feedback @tebrodrick

Fleonejr
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've been experiencing the same issues since android 13.
SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS Is there any update on this yet?

Riconp
Tutor
Tutor
Updated my pixel 6 to Android 13 and now crashes constantly, requiring continual login. Fingerprint login often fails now. Also, can't acess USB storage after getting motion notification, or at all for that matter. Hope Arlo gets an update out to the app quickly.
Dmcg
Tutor
Tutor
Exact same issue, Pixel 6 got OS 13 update and now geofencing creating issues. Home Kit not used at all so that's irrelevant, please fix as it's referring app useless.
SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah between this issue and https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-3-Floodlight/Annoying-alert-Arlo-secure-notification/td-p/187... my system is basically a complete pain to use and I've had to turn off the floodlight permanently to stop getting hammered with errant notifications during the night. 

The Android app is atrocious compared to the iOS version on the same network, hardware etc. but I could live with it until these two issues that don't seem to be getting any real attention. Weighing up Eufy / Nest at the minute, not sure which one would be better, it'll be an expense to replace 4 cameras but probably worth it in the long run.

ronmcclary
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a similar issue with the app crashing. I just started using the app this week. Android 13 was installed last week. I first install the Arlo wireless Doorbell and no issues with the app. Now today I have installed 2 Arlo Ultra 2 cameras and the base station. The app now crashes frequently.
Arloappisbuggy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same thing happening to me after Google Pixel 4a5g updated to Android 13, the app crashes when using wifi, but when using cellular data it does not crash.  It worked normally on both wifi and cellular running Android 12.  

SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah this is very likely Android 13 related. It started happening for me when I upgraded to a beta version of Android 13. The point of those releases is for developers to test their app against the upcoming release. Arlo has dropped the ball here either by not testing at all against these builds or not testing enough, it's a very easily reproducible bug.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for all the feedback and reports. It looks like the issue has been identified and an update is coming to resolve the crashing issue. I will provide another update with more info as soon as possible. 

Dmcg
Tutor
Tutor
Are your dev cycles couple weeks or this months out? Was hoping it was a server side fix but as it appears to be an OS13 is can see it being the apk.

Thanks for prompt feedback.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dmcg

The issue will be fixed with a "fast release".

I'll be sure to update you as soon as it is released, but you may notice before hand : ).

SeanAshmore
Apprentice
Apprentice

That’s great news thank you @ShayneS 

Dmcg
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks @ShayneS
Riconp
Tutor
Tutor
Good to hear. Thanks.
PaulInLongBeach
Initiate
Initiate

I have been experiencing constant crashes with the Arlo app since I installed Android 13. I have a Google Pixel 6. I haven't noticed a consistent place where it crashes. Almost any move from one part of the UI to another has a 50/50 chance of crashing. Looking forward to the fix. The whole app is in need of a refresh, IMHO.