Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

will heat exposure damage Arlo Q

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
akc19911
Follower
Follower

Hi all,

I purchased the Arlo Q a month ago.  So far, i thin the camera is working well, however, I do have a concern.   I have the camera set inside our house but is facing my front yard facing east.   So far during the summer the heat has gone at high as over 100 plus degrees, but ranges between 85 to 95 on average.  The Camera is brutally exposed to direct heat for at least 4 hours(until noon).  My questions to anyone is what is the long term effect of the camera being exposed to direct light for a short time everyday?  Will it damage it?  crack, caused the camera to no longer function properly ? overheating?  thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

akc19911 wrote:

Hi all,

I purchased the Arlo Q a month ago.  So far, i thin the camera is working well, however, I do have a concern.   I have the camera set inside our house but is facing my front yard facing east.   So far during the summer the heat has gone at high as over 100 plus degrees, but ranges between 85 to 95 on average.  The Camera is brutally exposed to direct heat for at least 4 hours(until noon).  My questions to anyone is what is the long term effect of the camera being exposed to direct light for a short time everyday?  Will it damage it?  crack, caused the camera to no longer function properly ? overheating?  thank you in advance. 

The temperature spec for the Arlo Q is -10C to 50C.  Customer Support has confirmed this, and it is also located in the Netgear 2016 retail guide.

( or about 123 degrees f )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

akc19911 wrote:

Hi all,

The temperature spec for the Arlo Q is -10C to 50C.  Customer Support has confirmed this, and it is also located in the Netgear 2016 retail guide.

( or about 123 degrees f )

Morse is faster than texting!
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Arlo Q has an internal thermal sensor that will shut the camera down if it gets too hot, thereby protecting it from overheating.  If you log into the app while in this state you will see a green screen and "Your camera needs to cool down before you can use it" error.  Otherwise, unless you see a gap in CVR (assuming you have it), you may not know the error even occurs because the camera will recover once it cools down again.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How did you determine all that?  Did it happen to you or was that from a question to support?

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It happened to me multiple times before I installed a fan in the window I had the camera.  I have CVR so it is easy to tell when it is happening.  See the following thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q-Arlo-Q-Plus/Your-camera-needs-to-cool-down-before-you-can-us...