Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

frequently receive a message stating that the device is not connected.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
lostinqueens
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings,

I received a new Arlo Q last week. I tested it on two networks (FiOS & Optimum Cable) and on both networks the lag time is terrible and I frequently receive a message stating that the device is not connected. This device is for a second home and I can't manually reboot or re-sync. I know I have Internet service because I can access my thermostat and wifi smart outlet without issues. I'm seeing the "Device not connected" message on my phone (Note 5) and in two browsers (Firefox and IE).

Also, the 2-way audio doesn't work at all on Android 7, which was a big selling point for me.

I'm trying to check in on my second home but the device is offline, which makes it totally useless to me.

Can someone recommend a web cam with 2-way audio, alerts and recording that is reliable? I'm having buyer's remorse and feeling like I should have bought a Nest Cam instead.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lostinqueens,

How far away from the router is the Arlo Q? How many bars of signal strength are shown?

JamesC

lostinqueens
Aspirant
Aspirant

The router is about 5 or 6 feet from the Arlo Q. I'm running a Linksys router broadcasting a signal on 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Other devices that don't have an issue connecting and maintaining a connection are a Honeywell wifi thermostat, a TPLink wifi smart outlet and a wifi dongle on an Obihai. All other wifi devices are further away from the router than the Arlo.

When the Arlo is connected, all wifi signal bars are displayed. Once the Arlo loses connection, that's it. It doesn't reconnect.

Also, no 2-way audio with Andriod 7.

I want to love the Arlo. It has many nice features, not to mention a free 30-day library. But I'm struggling to feel the love.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It might be worthwhile resetting the camera and start fresh.  Also, reposition the camera to verify that the same behavior occurs - if not, it's something about the location.