Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Mrm181
Tutor
Tutor

Using a wifi extender with the Arlo Q models and adding a wifi signal strength that would be readable to the app on each camera. Does anyone know if a wifi extender works and which ones would you recommend if so?

Secondly, any ideas if a signal strength meter is being worked on for the app?

Lastly, seeing that the CVR does not allow downloading or having a PC/Mac acting as a DVR so to speak for the CVRs recordings, what software does everyone use for screen capturing on the Arlo Q?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Nethalite
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am using a wifi extender for my arlo q. Just had to get on the wifi I am on to login to the camera so it starts using the 5ghz signal.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mrm181 wrote:

Using a wifi extender with the Arlo Q models and adding a wifi signal strength that would be readable to the app on each camera. Does anyone know if a wifi extender works and which ones would you recommend if so?

Secondly, any ideas if a signal strength meter is being worked on for the app?

Lastly, seeing that the CVR does not allow downloading or having a PC/Mac acting as a DVR so to speak for the CVRs recordings, what software does everyone use for screen capturing on the Arlo Q?

There's a signal strength meter in Settings, My Devices, your camera about halfway down the page on the right.

It will depend on your computer/OS as to whether a package is built-in or if you need to buy something.  I happen to have both Roxio Creator as well as AVS4you that include screen capture capabilities.  Those may be gross overkill if you don't do digital photo/video editing.  I haven't tried it but a search for "screen capture software" gave me this as one possibility that's free:

https://tinytake.com/

Bluecewe
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is unfortunate that there has not been more discussion on this matter.

I am researching into using a WiFi repeater in order to achieve a more stable signal to my Arlo Qs, as some suffer from very poor signals.

Whether the poor signals are actually having a tangible impact upon my use of the cameras is another matter. I have not been able to attribute to poor signal what cannot be attributed to slow Arlo servers or other factors. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Dereck
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a weak signal on one Arlo Q. I have purchased a wifi extender but do not know how to pair the extender and the Arlo Q. Suggestion? Thank you.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You would need to enter the SSID and passhprase for the extender in the process of syncing the Q (use the Add Device button in the Cameras tab).  It should set up exactly as it would for connection directly with the router with exception of the SSID/passphrase.

Dereck
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I click on "Add Device" it only shostaws cameras oer base stations. How do I add an extender. Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't. It's simply the network you use to connect the Q to. The extender connects to the router and provides the WiFi needed by the Q.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dereck,

As jguerdat explains above, the extender is not part of the Arlo system (can not be added to your Arlo account). The extender "extends" your existing network, allowing you to place your Arlo Q (or Arlo base station) further from your router.

For more information on this topic, take a look at this article: How can I increase the range of my Arlo Smart Home Security system?

JamesC