Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

This may sound rather a dumb question but I am not savvy with electronics - the Arlo Q seems great but a bit expensive and I just brought the Arlo 4 cameras -- I want a CAM like  the Q but want something cheaper -- can I get any CAM and it will not interfere with what I have -- I want to be able to see/talk and get response from one camera where my dogs are when I am at work -- can someone also recommend a good one that works great that in not too expensive

Vallorie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Vallorie wrote:

Ok so are there any cables I have to run or will it just connect to my internet - I just want to be able to see what my dogs are doing while at work - so can I just plug in that room and it will connect to my internet?

Vallorie

The Q cameras connect  directly to your HOME WIFI system during setup... they do not use the Arlo base.

So, it gets plugged in near your computer screen to set up , following directions given. ( major mistake here is users fail to know the password for their wifi as caps usu counts ).

After setup, you can unplug and move to another outlet and it will auto connect back up after about a min.

Only downside I've seen with the Q cam is that my home wifi router is a bit weaker than the arlo base signal , so the max range was slightly less than the Arlo cams.... not a major problem tho for me.

The Q cam will appear via the same browser access you now use ( or app ) as an additional camera.  When arming , you must arm the Arlo cams and then the Q cam , as they arm separately

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Honestly , since you already have 4 arlo cams, why not get the Q...

Yes, it is pricey, but IMO, it is a much better camera than the Arlos to do what you want. ( sometimes you do get what you pay for ) Don't think there is much better for the cost.

The Q has the audio you want AND a pixel based detection system ( more sensitive then Arlo cams and can set 3 hot zones ) That plus you can access it via the same program your now using for the Arlos.

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

Ok so are there any cables I have to run or will it just connect to my internet - I just want to be able to see what my dogs are doing while at work - so can I just plug in that room and it will connect to my internet?

Vallorie

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q is much like the wireless cameras with the exception that you have to plug it in for power.  So, there' is one cable to run to the nearest power plug.  It will connect to your existing WiFi as long as the signal strength is adequate.  WiFi extenders could be useful if this is an issue.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Vallorie wrote:

Vallorie

The Q cameras connect  directly to your HOME WIFI system during setup... they do not use the Arlo base.

So, it gets plugged in near your computer screen to set up , following directions given. ( major mistake here is users fail to know the password for their wifi as caps usu counts ).

After setup, you can unplug and move to another outlet and it will auto connect back up after about a min.

Only downside I've seen with the Q cam is that my home wifi router is a bit weaker than the arlo base signal , so the max range was slightly less than the Arlo cams.... not a major problem tho for me.

The Q cam will appear via the same browser access you now use ( or app ) as an additional camera.  When arming , you must arm the Arlo cams and then the Q cam , as they arm separately