Use Arlo Pro and Q together

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GJCToon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently dought and set up an Arlo Pro, running with the 2nd generation base-station, which is mounted externally at first floor level (UK, i,e, the level above ground floor) looking down on my drive.  It detects and records activity quite well, but due to it's mounting height the image resolution is not enough to identify people or read car registration numbers.

I would like to add a second camera in my glazed porch that is located internally looking out and which can be activated by the existing Pro.  As the camera is located internally it seems to me that it could be a Q model thus benefiting from being cheaper, having higher image resolution and having a permanent power supply.

Can an Arlo Q be activated to record by an Arlo Pro?  I know that I can do this with two Pro's, but it seems a waste of a battery driven, wireless, weather proof camera, to locate it internally, particularly when the image resoltion is also lower.

Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The capability to do this is supposedly underway but so far, nothing. Using IFTTT or similar might be possible.

GJCToon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks jguerdat.

That's a shame.  It would be nice for the various camera's in the range to be able to work together in this way, although I appreciate that the Q is probably intended for a different set up to he Pro, i.e. without a base-station.

As a follow up, I understant that the movement detection of the Pro does not work through glass as it is based on IR.  Do you know if the camera would still focus through glass OK so long as the external scene was iluminated by a second, externally mounted Pro, or else by a traditional externally mounted PIR activated light?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Focus is fixed so no issue with any positioning.  Causing it to record would need an external trigger, whether by another outdoor camera, IFTTT, etc.

GJCToon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.