Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Uninitiated Deleting of Arlo Q Video recordings

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
FlyOnTheWall
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just noted a very strange experience with my new Arlo Q.

I have had an Arlo Wire-Free set up since November. I started with three cameras, then added a fourth camera, and last night I added an Arlo Q to the system. All of that is to say that I am both familiar and comfortable with the Arlo system.

Last night I got the Arlo hooked up, and there were a few videos triggered by motion and stored in the Library. Today the same thing happened, and the system was working exactly as expected, until....

Until, I looked in on the system and noted that some of the Arlo Q videos were missing. More specifically, any Arlo Q videos recorded before 12:12 pm were missing. None from last night, and none from before 12:12 (but they were in the library earlier, and I did not delete them). Had I not seen them in the library eartlier, I would have no way of knowing that they were gone, or that they had ever existed.

Mind you, all of my wire free video recordings seem to be intact. ONLY the Arlo Q videos have been impacted.

Obviously this is a HUGE problem, and one that undermines my trust in the Arlo system, since there could have been a major issue recorded before 12:00, and if I had not taken note of it, as far as my library is concerned, it never happened.

The tech support chat had nothing of substance to offer other than I could download video, and that I should keep an eye on it. In short gather information. So if anyone else experiences this issue please know that you are not imagining things, and please speak up. This needs to be fixed!!!

Thanks,

Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FlyOnTheWall
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well the weirdness continues.

I just looked in the library, and all of the videos are now there as expected. WEIRD!!!!

So, the "problem" "solved" itself. In the words of Han Solo - I got a bad feeling about this.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This is a first time hearing this... there are now a few Q users here and it hasn't been mentioned.

If its working now, I leave it alone ( as the camera shouldn't effect recorded videos anyway. Once recorded, the videos are in the cloud and the cam has nothing to do with a prior recordings... Only the program deletes )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
FlyOnTheWall
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your observations, which are in parallel with my own.

Oddly, when I was chatting with tech support they wanted to know if there had been network changes, or any power outages. Which I can understand would be useful information, but I did not understand how it is relavant to the cloud storage.

It also strikes me as odd, from a troubleshooting point of view, that only that Arlo Q videos are missing - that makes no sense to me. 

FlyOnTheWall
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well the weirdness continues.

I just looked in the library, and all of the videos are now there as expected. WEIRD!!!!

So, the "problem" "solved" itself. In the words of Han Solo - I got a bad feeling about this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This may be another case of the unexplained delays in videos showing up. Some folks have said it happens only on some cameras and not others, like your situation.

If this happens again try a different browser and/or the app (also try both WiFi as well as 3/4G).  Maybe it's somehow related to a specific set of circumstances.

FlyOnTheWall
Aspirant
Aspirant

This may well have been the case, but to be clear. The videos WERE there, and then the WERE NOT, and then they WERE back. All on the same computer, and with a strong and reliable wired internet connection.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In my case, I had one camera where I had recently changed its rules, and I received email notifications for about 50 recordings, all of which were viewable from the email links.  However, none of them showed up in the library until about 12 hours later.  My other cameras operated normally during the same timeframe.  I suspect that somehow the recordings were labelled wrong or on the wrong server, and then this was fixed automatically after a delay, perhaps through some cleanup operation.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just had all of my videos in my library from one of my cameras disappear on me right before my eyes.  (These videos also are not downloadable using the python scripts.)  Of note, after viewing some in the library, I had just gotten a bunch of "failed to connect" errors (when trying to "live view") on the camera that had previously recorded these videos.  When I went to the settings tab, the camera showed "busy" even after multiple attempts at refreshing and logging off.  After about 10 tries, I finally was able to see the live image, after which I took a snapshot.  Then, in "settings" I also was able to take a snapshot.  Finally, once I went back to the library, all of the previous videos for this camera were gone and only a snapshot remained.  There were dozens of videos and now there are zero.

Note that new recordings from this same camera appear with no problem.

The missing videos, although they are gone now from the library, can still be viewed/downloaded using the links from the email notifications (ones that have not expired).  Maybe they'll come back to the library in 12 hours or so?

Also note that I don't have a Q.  These are the standard wireless cams.

(Of further note to the SW folks, the python scripts do successfully download videos from this camera that are older than 7 days, but not from 0-7 days old.  So this seems to me to be an issue associated with this new 7-day filter that was installed last month.  Perhaps the "hide from library" flag is being inadvertently set?)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Huh. I have no problem downloading recent videos. Have you always had this issue with the script or is this new? Mine download daily.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The script behavior mirrors what the web interface shows, so there is no issue with the scripts that I can see.  The problem is that my videos from one camera have "disappeared" from the library (as seen from both the web interface and the scripts), but the disappearance only affects those videos taken during the time period that corresponds to my subscription level.  The email links still work, so the disappearance seems to be created with some kind of filter on Netgear's side.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Update:  After about 36 hours, my "disappeared" videos have now returned to my library.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo cameras were armed, recorded at 4 minutes past, should have recorded 2 instances after that but nothing from those armed Arlo
Cameras has appeared in the library. Does anyone have any ideas why? The Arlo Q cameras appear to have recorded throughout. It is not clear if the telephone line, power or account suffered a failure...
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JustLearning,

Could you provide more detail on the issue you are experiencing? If your cameras were Armed they will trigger when motion is detected. If not motion is detected by the cameras, no recordings will appear in the library.

If there is a power/internet outage, this would prevent content from being recorded.

JamesC

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
My Arlo cameras did not record but the Arlo Q did. Two people that I know of walked past an Arlo camera twice each and it did not alert or record. Arlo needs an access log so we can see if this is a fault or unauthorised access!
DAG444
Guide
Guide

I've had a similar problem, where I received an email and could play the video from the email, but when I signed in to view the timeframe right before the videio was taken there was nothing recorded, and the timeframe the video was taken also had no recordings.  I noticed that there are large gaps where the videos are missing.  Sort of defeates the purpose of having a security camera!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the link in the email works, the recording is there and you have a display issue on your device.  Are you using the app or web?  If the web, have you tried a different browser?