Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Samsung SmartThings WiFi (Mesh Router) Not Able to Connect Arlo Q and Arlo Wireless Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
C-17Loadmaster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a Samsung SmartThings WiFi (Mesh Routers) 3pack and have had no success in connecting our 2ea Arlo Q's and Arlo Basestation w/3 Arlo 1st Gen Cams.  I have deleted each cam from our Arlo APP, I have verified that I am connecting properly (via APP directions and Arlo Site Directions) and confirmed the proper WiFi name and password. 

- In regards to the Arlo Q - the light blinks orange - then I press the button on the side of the Arol Q until the blue light blinks - I verify the WiFi and input the correct password - then place the QR code within 8 inches of the Arlo Q - I get confirming chime -  then it searches and never connects - then I get a bad chime (I'm not sure what you would call the 'failed to connect' sound).  I even have used the RESET (using a paperclip). 

- In regards to the Arlo Basestation for the Wireless cams - I plug the ethernet cable directly into the Samsung SmartThings WiFi router - and then run the setup.  It never recognizes and fails setup.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A few thoughts:

- Is your new WiFi now using both bands (2.4 and 5GHz) using one SSID? That seems to be a recent problem. Perhaps using a wired computer, even temporarily wired, would help or, if possible, set a WiFi device to use only one frequency, starting with 2.4GHz and switching to 5GHz if needed.

- The Qs probably didn't need anything other than to use Settings, My Devices, your Q, Connected to (or other possible network selection) to connect to the new WiFi, assuming the SSID and passphrase had changed. Of course, see above for other possibilities. Now that you've reset the cameras, though, remove both in Settings, My Devices and start fresh with them as if new.

- For the base, there's also no reason to set it up again since it has nothing to do with what network it's plugged into. The use of the Ethernet cable gets away from WiFi issues. If all 3 LEDs are green, ou should be good to go.

C-17Loadmaster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I took both type cams to a friends house tonight to see if the Arlo Q and Arlo Wireless would connect.  They both did - but only on the 2.4ghz frequency.  I’m not entirely sure how the Samsung SmartThings WiFi (Mesh) works - but perhaps it switches quickly between the 2.4 and 5ghz frequency - whichever is less congested or faster.  And that is the problem with connecting.  I am searching if there is a way for me to force the Arlos to only connect only to the 2.4ghz frequency. So far I have not found any setting I can do that within the Samsung / Plume app which controls the router.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think opening a case with support here is the best way to proceed since this is going to be more and more common. That will escalate the issue more quickly. Anyone else running into the same issue (both bands of a dual band router using the same SSID) should do the same.

There's no way to tell the Q to use a frequency other than by SSID. You'd need to log into your router and see if there's a setting for splitting the bands.