Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
DominoUK
Star
Star

When attempting to view the live feed through a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.; app seems unaffected), it fails to show the video and says ": connection failed". It's been like this for at least several days. This now comes after weeks of problems many have been experiencing – myself included – of just black video feeds.

From inspecting with Chrome devtools, an error in the console displays:

[ERROR] time 17:02:20.616 :: 201, Unable to load stream or clip file, connection failed, clip: '[Clip] '[REDACTED ID]''

Further inspection of the network requests show several attempts fail due to "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR", which suggests the server's SSL setup is not correct. In fact, according to the URL, which protocol is HTTPS, it actually has a port of 80.

Seriously, NETGEAR, please can you do something about improving your reliability? As far as I can tell, it is fortunately not impacting the actual camera's functionality beyond the live feed, but such an important service really needs more maintenance effort on your part. I rely on the live feed often, and not having it is very detrimental. Also, it's well beyond time you ditch Flash to provide this feed and use the same/similar method the app does.

Please fix this ASAP.

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DominoUK,

Are you only experiencing this issue when using the web client? Do you see any issues live streaming using the mobile app? Are you still experiencing this issue today?

JamesC

MrMason
Star
Star

Same error here.

Is frequently, maybe 6-7 times of 10 trying.

Been for months....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MrMason,

Are you using web client or the mobile app? Do you experience the issue using both?

JamesC

FoldsRule
Guide
Guide

We have the same problem.  It's been going on for months, but in the last few weeks it will NEVER load live no matter how many times I try.  It's not just one camera either, it's any or all, depending on the mood of the day I guess.WTH?!  What's the point of having this system if we can't access it when we need to? I'm so disgusted with Arlo's app and support (pretty useless), and the amount of money we laid out for the four cameras and one base station.  Dear God, if we ever had an intruder we would only have the back side because by the time the camera records that's what we have. What a waste of money!  Come on Netgear...fix your problems!!!!!

FoldsRule
Guide
Guide

We experience this problem on both the web client (via Firefox, IE, and Chrome) and the app. 

widewater4848
Tutor
Tutor

Live Feed works fine in the IOS App, on all devices, but reverts to a blank screen when viewed in a web browser. After a minute or two, the Live Feed (blank screen) drops out but the window shows that video was last updated, e.g. 2 minutes ago and also displays the updated still frame at that time.

Have uploaded latest Flash versions, and problem persists across Safari and Google Chrome. We have two cameras, in seperate locations, linking through different router networks. Very frustrating that we cannot monitor live feeds when, e.g. an audio alert has been triggered.

Mercur25
Initiate
Initiate

Bought my Arlo Q 4 days ago and I have the same problem with the live feed. It drops occasionally (at least 10-12 times a dag) with black screen and message "Unable to load stream, connection failed". I have tried both 2,4 and 5 G connection without any improvement. Mostt of the times I just have to close livestream window and open it up again to make it work. The camera is still connected to the router (Nigthawk R7000) so it seem to be the livestrem funktion that fails. I also have severe lag of the feed (about 8-10 sec) even when connected to 5G network and resolution set down to 480p and only 5 meters between camera and router. I even tried it with only 1 meter from router and still lag and drop of livefeed. 

Netgear has to fix this.  As I am completely dependent on continuous livefeed, this camera is worthless for me.

DominoUK
Star
Star

So I found my original issue with 'connection failed' due to SSL problems was being caused because a specific server on my VPN I was using was being blocked by your servers! Thanks a lot for that Smiley Mad

It looks like a lot of people have been replying regarding the 'black screen' issue, which is prevalent on these forums, yet still nothing has been done about it. I have noticed I've been getting this a lot lately when trying to view on the web. It's extremely annoying. When you get an alert for motion, you want to be able to see the live feed ASAP, but it takes me ages to do so because I keep having to refresh. It takes 5-10 times on average lately before it actually displays.

NETGEAR, are you going to fix this, please?

DominoUK
Star
Star

I just needed to urgently view the live feed and literally attempted over 20 times via Chrome, with no luck; black screen every single time. Tried the app instead and a after a long time of it saying 'Buffering', it finally showed the feed.

Does NETGEAR even care about the web app? Are you aware that it's useless right now? Are you actually going to fix it or in the process of doing so?

widewater4848
Tutor
Tutor

Live view seems to be working in a (Safari) browser now. Either those lovely people at Netgear have cracked the problem, or my web connecrtions have resolved things.

By chance, I found that on trying to connect to the net using an ethernet cable, instead of my usual wireless link, my nertwork settings appeared to be broken. System diagnostics failed to find the problem and despite no working internet link the network monitor showed I was connected to a live feed. On trial and error (mainly error!) I eventually found that clearing the cache files fixed it. Since re-establishing a working ethernet connection, the Live Feed error has not re-occured. Time for a celebratory beer now - feel free to do likewise if this post helped.

MK106
Star
Star
I have the same issue as Mercur25, on web browser and app, on 2.4 and 5g, with resolution set low (uuugh!). I purchased Arlo systems for two homes and on two accounts. I would not currently recommend this product at all (previously I was very happy)