Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Last app updates are messing things up

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I'm on an Android. The app update from a few weeks ago materially affected the response time of the app.

Right after the update, the app showed that I had no cameras and no videos, neither of which was true. I had to close down the app and restart the app, and then the cameras and videos slowly appeared. Since then, cameras and videos are notably slower to load when opening up the app. There is now always a delay whereby it shows no devices. it used to be almost instantaneous to load cameras and videos.

I saw that there was another app update last night, so I did the update. This morning I power-cycled my modem and router, as I try do do regularly. Probably about 30 minutes after I power-cycled, I noticed that the app was showing that my base station/Pro 2s and one my Arlo Q's were offline. However, my base station indicator lights were all green.

Short version is that I had to power cycle the base station and the Arlo Q twice. And then about 10 minutes after the second power cycle and the base station still showing all indicator lights green, the app finally showed that they devices.  It used to be a lot quicker and automatic for Arlo devices to reconnect and show up on the app after I power-cycle the modem and router.

And if I am not home and the modem and router lose power and are restarted, all the Arlo cameras should just reconnect automatically like they used to because I would not be able to power-cycle all my Arlo cameras.

It's definitely these last two app udpates that are messing up things up. Are other people noticing this?

@JamesCAre you getting other reports about this?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Older bases, such as the ones that came with the Pro 2, had (have?) an issue where a power outage or router reboot might cause the base to become ready before the router. When power cycling the network, reboot the router first and then the base which should help.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat  Thanks for the suggestions.

I only regularly power-cycle the modem and router. The Arlo base station and Pro 2's and Arlo Q have generally been pretty solid. The other odd thing about yesterday is that the Arlo Q would not show up in the app either until after power-cycling the device several times. It also happened shortly after app updates that have resulted in notable delays in loading devices and the library every time I open my app now. So, it feels like it's all related to app updates.

For the last year or so, I've been also having issues with app showing black screen thumbnails for all my cameras instead of a picture of the last motion. I am wondering if my issues with the app are because I have only legacy cameras. I'll keep on eye on it, as at some point I will need to replace my cameras. And I would expect that the Arlo app experience improves if I am going to replace with more Arlo cameras and pay for a subscription.