Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 28 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
weldoid
Initiate
Initiate

I have recently subscribed to the CVR feature for my Arlo Q.

I can navigate and view past video recorded using CVR, but I'd like to download a clip from the CVR Timeline that the motion detection did not catch. How can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
weldoid
Initiate
Initiate

jguerdat wrote:

The only way I know to do this is to stream CVR, maybe full screen, and use a screen capture program to record what's streaming.  I've done this and it worked well.

Ah, great notion! Thanks jguerdat!

I've figured out that on my Mac, Quicktime actually has a screen recording feature! 

Open Quicktime, go to "File" on the top menu bar, then "New Screen Recording". All very simple and normal from there!

And I'm back to loving Arlo 100% 🙂

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way I know to do this is to stream CVR, maybe full screen, and use a screen capture program to record what's streaming.  I've done this and it worked well.

weldoid
Initiate
Initiate

jguerdat wrote:

Ah, great notion! Thanks jguerdat!

I've figured out that on my Mac, Quicktime actually has a screen recording feature! 

Open Quicktime, go to "File" on the top menu bar, then "New Screen Recording". All very simple and normal from there!

And I'm back to loving Arlo 100% 🙂

michele6
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't have a Mac....so what program would I use?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

if your running windows, you can pause the playback and use the included Snipping Tools ( windows prgm usu located under accessories )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ALT-PRTSCN will capture the current window for pasting into any editor or app that supports graphics. I happen to use Roxio Creator NXT3 to capture the video.

Cyrano
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat, @TomMac: Thanks for identifying a work-around.

@Netgear: I'm surprised and dismayed that a work-around is needed. The ability to download video clips seems like an obvious must-have requirement in order to use CVR for any evidentiary purpose. Please fix this as quickly as possible.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

jguerdat wrote:

ALT-PRTSCN will capture the current window for pasting into any editor or app that supports graphics. I happen to use Roxio Creator NXT3 to capture the video.

Windows-PrtScr saves you a step and saves a .png file in your pictures\screenshots folder.

I agree that CVR is incomplete without the inherent ability to download a clip from it.  It's sad when even the Arlo support site tells you to purchase screen capture software.  If you are faced with a situation where you need a copy of CVR footage quickly, they are not there to help you except with the most generic advice.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-is-continuous-video-recording-CVR-and-how-...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not tested but thry this:

https://tinytake.com/

If you do try it, please review it for us.

dmburke11
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's not free, but I used Snag-It with Windows and it worked very well and was super easy to record clips from my CVR. Sounds like Quicktime is the way to go for Macs but Snag-It worked perfectly for Windows.

Hope that helps and I hope Netgear sees this and adds the obvious function for clipping video very soon.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget, that along with the CVR, the Q also records the trigger event into the library... that is an easy D/L.

Morse is faster than texting!
Julian_Juez
Aspirant
Aspirant

Purchased an Arlo Q 1 month ago, and it works fine. On top of the current €8.99/Mo, I would pay an additional euro per month (total €10/Mo for the option to download the CVR footage. Without it, I am not even going to upgrade to CVR

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

What have you found to have the best ability to record audio from the CVR playback? I'm trying out Active Presenter right now...

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree. Netgear- we need a way to select and download CVR footage for private and enforcement purposes.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That would be handy but is relatively easily done with 3rd party software, at least on the computer.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Less easy from a smartphone!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
At least for Android, there are a number of screen recorders available that could be used to record CVR playback.
mikehorner3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just activated CVR.  This is a free screen recorder that also records audio.  Just installed and tested it. Works fine and provides a workaround for the non existent download function...

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/

sdl10
Initiate
Initiate

I found a program call Flash Back Express 5.0 (It's free) that worked great. You can capture screen, window, or region. Very easy to use. The company has a paid version that does more, if needed.

OBS Studio is more complicated but does more things. It is open source freeware.

I also tried Snagit and Movavi.