Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
oneMadRssn
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing working is not working lately. Mine hasn't been working well at all for over two weeks. 

We have two iPhones set up as devices, and both have all permissions enabled for the Arlo app. Yet both devices fail to register when they leave the radius, and both devices fail to register when they return back into the radius.

I've tried deleted and re-installing the app on both devices. I've tried removing the apostrophe from the name of the phones. I've tried deleting the devices from the permissions and re-adding them. None of it helps.

Netgear - you better fix ASAP or start issueing refunds. Considering that geofencing is a feature prominently advertised by you for the products and for the app, this can't go on not working for an extended period of time.

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is currently aware of and investigating an issue with Geofencing that is affecting some users. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Dralph01
Tutor
Tutor
I am having this issue where geofencing is no longer working for the past couple weeks and it’s putting my house security at risk. Can you please let me know when the arlo fix is identified and when it will be rolled out?
oneMadRssn
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks to for the note @JamesC.

First, this isn't "some users." It's affecting all users. There are dozens of threads on this issue on this forum, and numerous in other places like Reddit. I have yet to see a single user say it's working fine for them.

Second, as the user above notes, this is a serious usability flaw. If this isn't fixed by the end of the week, Netgear owes us refunds at least for the monthly fees charged during the month when it isn't working, if not for a portion of the cost of the camera itself.

LovedArlo
Initiate
Initiate

Geofencing has stopped Arming/Disarming when leave/enter Home zone since last APP update to 2.4.7 around March 10th. Arlo Support chat exhausted recommendations to correct and advise to manually Arm/Disarm each time leave/enter Home zone,,, what a pain! Appears we are waiting for next APP update with fix of this bug. Any one find another solution? Arlo please update APP with fix for this bug ASAP! 

dfg445
Aspirant
Aspirant

Me too. Previously, geofencing generally worked with minor malfunctions once or twice a week on one of my iPhones. But, after the most recent app upate, the geofencing completely stopped working for all my iPhones

oneMadRssn
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC Please update. See the other comments, it is clearly not affecting "some users," but rather "all users." What is Netgear doing to address the issue of Geofencing not working?

THE_KINGDOM
Aspirant
Aspirant

This geofencing issue has been going on since the moment I purchased the camera over a year ago. engineering is most definitely not working on a fix this issue because it would never take this long. I find it incredibly ironic that Netgear - a company specializes in networking can't even get the location permissions correct on the mobile Android app.

Netgear customer service tried to pin the issues on the Android location API which is equally ridiculous because other apps that need to obtain android location to execute tasks have no issues at all. Explain that..?

You can literally temp fix the location pull, by going into the mobile application into the mode/geofence edit/devices which shows that the app code is flawed and not updating. Having to perform these steps everytime you arrive back into a geofence is ridiculous. I cannot even begin to imagine how many unnecessary terabytes of video recordings are being stored on the Netgear cloud because their location system is  not working